Theory Akainu has been trying to groom Smoker into becoming a future admiral. Smoker's dramatic power up.

I think it is extremely likely that Smoker has received some sort of training from akainu since we last saw him. Why is this?

Out of all of the vice admirals, Smoker is the only one who we know of with a logia DF. Therefore it is safe to say that out of all VAs, Smoker has the greatest potential to be admiral. Akainu will surely see this and try to help Smoker achieve his true potential. Obviously, I don't think he dedicated his entire time to helping Smoker, but I do think that these two have had at least one meeting since PH where Akainu taught Smoker a couple of concepts that he then went on to train by himself.

Specifically, I think Akainu taught Smoker about the true power of logia DFs, the nature of logia awakenings and how one can awaken a logia. Furthermore, I think Akainu assigned Vegapunk to assist Smoker in his awakening training in order to help him acquire this power.

With logia awakening, I believe Smoker is currently the closest VA to the admirals and I think the next time we see him, his name will reflect this. He will be given a Zodiac name to match his new status, specifically I think Smoker will be vice admiral White Snake, Shirohebi.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
Smoker is trash fodder, beat it. Cool personality but a weakling for New World standards and he ain't some young prospect.

Didn't akainu train fuji a bit? I think doffy said it.

If so I can see this happening maybe
Wtf? Where did you get that?

Even with awakening, we are talking about a character as strong as Vergo, and with one of the least outstanding Rogia. At best, with Awakening he could achieve the YC level, which for him would be a tremendous power up.

The only way Smoker could still be relevant is if Oda completely rewrites his "base" power level. He has already done that with some characters like Crocodile, so maybe.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Without him realising it he has a more powerful devilfruit then Akainu, Sabo and Oven. Being a member of sword he will overthrow Akainu.