Character Discussion Satoru Gojo vs Ryomen Sukuna (Character-wise)

R1: Who is a better character? / R2: Who do you like more?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Sukuna for both

Sukuna is much more entertaining as a villain. Laughing at Yuji, killing his friends, possessing him, making his life miserable etc. Same against Jogo and others, killing everything everywhere all at once.

And he is badass, his CT is quite cool
Gojo ftw, sukuna is your typical strong evil villain

Gojo is the best and most unique " Too strong, Too feared, Too lonely at the top" character i've seen.
Don't forget to vote too :endthis:

Round 1:

Sukuna still feels more like a mythological creature than a character per se. We see how he affects others' with his pedigree but don't know much about him personally.

However, the last few chapters (the only good thing about Yorozu lol) was the introduction of Sukuna's "wish" - to find his equal.

If that gets the proper chance to be explored enough, Sukuna will jump up my fav character rankings by EoS.

Gojo on the other hand got more shine as a character, both in JJK0 and JJK. Mostly through flashbacks, granted.

I like the irony in his character in that he is the strongest, yet very rarely does he actually win. His strength is never enough to save his allies, only to keep him alive and at the top. Something he doesn't necessarily even strive for.

The sentence "Are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest, or are you the strongest because you are Satoru Gojo" encapsulates his whole arc.

He is the strongest, but to virtually everyone in the story, that's all he is. Just the entity that stands on the top. Satoru Gojo the concept, but not the person.

Round 2:

I like Gojo more, but I enjoy both equally.

Sukuna is a great and unapologetic villain, which is refershing in shonen.

Gojo is cocky and aloof, but also smart and can back up everything he says.

Basically two polar opposites in morality but so similar in all other ways.

Mahito for both

Mahito is much more entertaining as a villain. Laughing at Yuji, killing his friends, possessing him, making his life miserable etc. Same against Jogo Nanami, Nobara and others, killing everything everywhere all at once.

And he is badass, his CT is quite cool
:goyea:

Mahito has done more as a villain.
Sukuna didnt kill anybody important yet, except Tsumiki.

Compare Mahito's presence and impact in Shibuya to Sukuna's presence and impact in Culling Game.

Not downplaying Sukuna, I believe the best of Sukuna is yet to come.

So, for now, Gojo Satoru takes the crown ๐Ÿ‘‘
Sorry to use your comment to give my point of view.
Not gaslighting you or any anything else. Peace ๐Ÿค

Well since you tagged me but I don't read JJK then I prefer Sukuna, purely because I can use his name for a "deez nuts" joke in some variation of "Sukuna deez nuts". :madmonk:
LMAO I just noticed @Owl Ki is on the tag list lol. Sorry Owl. :endthis:
Too late, you have already summoned me. Now you must suffer my asinine answer. :blobevil:

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž

Compare Mahito's presence and impact in Shibuya to Sukuna's presence and impact in Culling Game.

That's true. Mahito has been a much more impactful villain for now. So has Kenny ngl.

Well since you tagged me but I don't read JJK then I prefer Sukuna, purely because I can use his name for a "deez nuts" joke in some variation of "Sukuna deez nuts". :madmonk:

Too late, you have already summoned me. Now you must suffer my asinine answer. :blobevil:
:milaugh:

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I often find that people downplay Gojo's character and for no reason at all tbh.

I'll copy some of my posts from the Informers PM here real quick :endthis:

One thing I've noticed that's not talked about nearly enough is how tragic a character Gojo is. Man. The dude just found out his best friend, his one and only best friend, is 'alive' at least his body is, then got sealed and spent 19 days that could have passed like centuries in there, got out, first thing he sees is the body of his best friend and that the biggest and worst curse of all time plagued his adoptive son. Without a moment to breathe. And it's expected of Gojo to just clean all of this stuff up. Immediately.

What's also interesting to note is how much he shows care for his students as well. In the latest chapter Gojo was very brash and crude towards Kenjaku and Sukuna, going as far as to tell Sukuna he ran from Yuji while showing his ass lmao. But when he and Sukuna first clashed and when he said 'you've changed since the last time I saw you Megumi' or something akin to that, Gojo was talking to him in a manner in which you talk to a child, peaceful, kind, comfortable.

It's surreal how good of a character Gojo is. People get hung up on him being so strong but don't realize that is the key component of his character. Like Geto said

The depth that Gojo has as a character is amazing.
After his awakening Gojo was alone at the top once again, and this time without anyone coming close.

So much that he had to turn to the new generation and wishes for them to one day reach him and what his goal basically is.
His goal:
To reform the Jujutsu world and have someone reach him at the top.

Let's first examine what he sees wrong with it, it's not that he's not the one in charge or anything selfish like that

People mistake this statement as Gojo saying that if he kills the higher ups some other people would take their jobs since Gojo always has the option to kill those people as well, to make the world obey him by force BUT if he does that than eventually the system would remain the same, eventually there will again be selfish rulers controlling the world.

See in JJK, Gege has basically tied a philosophy to every character to try and actually explain things in his story and for Gojo he has written a man who doesn't believe in revolution because he doesn't think that is the right and effective way to create permanent change
This idea that you can only save someone if they are prepared to change is exactly what makes Gojo an ideal teacher, he believes in changing his students because he believes the only ones that can be saved(improved) are the ones who are actually willing to do so and are open to the idea and that is what a student is ideally supposed to be
He has shown to actually breakdown and process what he's students are going through to help them improve.

And while the idea of Gojo being a self centered man is not completely baseless
This is from when he's just going through different phases of his life.

But now he actually wants his students to reach him

He is easily one of the best written characters in the verse with a reasonable and complex philosophy and the most interesting part is that he needs this philosophy less than anyone! Typically people resort to these view points of changing the world by teaching because they believe that they are powerless on their own and need others for help but Gojo's character is trying to show that even if you weren't powerless on your own spreading your views into the future generations is the best way to create change.

Gojo's archetype is common, the strongest, the teacher, one at the top, but the execution and characterization of Gojo is simply on a different level to any other such character. :endthis:

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
โ€Ž

You wonโ€™t need to convince me about Mahito greatness

The guy the best villain in JJK for now. Mahito is pure chaos and I love that

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Not to say that Sukuna is bad per se. He's like my 3rd fave character. Good villain, great design. Ruthless, cool, badass. A flashback of him should be great, I already had some theories on him previously
I previously talked about how I believe Sukuna had a twin and him consuming that twin is the result of his new appearance.

I wanted to elaborate a bit on it and see if we can tie it up. Searching for stuff online led me to some posts and this book that is apparently used by Gege to model Sukuna on. And in there there was an excerpt about Sukuna and his origin.

It basically went like this

Sukuna used to have a twin. Siamese twin to be precise. But he ate him.

A Siamese twin was born to a poor family, who later sold them to a freak show. One day, a cult leader named Mononobe Tengoku purchased several malformed humans, including the Siamese twins from the freak show. Mononobe was fascinated by the twins and kept them in a room without food or water until one of the twins killed and ate the other. Mononobe then attached the arms of the deceased twin to the surviving twin and half of their face. The resulting creature was named Ryomen Sukuna.

That will be Sukuna's origin. He was a nobody, a freak, sold to the circus, and ate his brother. That's how he got the appetite for eating humans in the first place.

Now the origin doesn't have to be the exact same as the above. A more interesting proposal for me is that Sukuna as he is now is the result of the first culling game. The circus=culling game, the cult leader=Kenjaku/Tengen

Sukuna and his twin were in the first culling game and Sukuna was forced to eat his brother for an unknown reason thus far. Probably to win the game or something akin to that.

And the result of all of that is the Sukuna as we know him today. Specifically his full form as shown in chapter 117

And looking at the pic, and after a lot of research and surfing on the net, I think Sukuna's next CT will be thunder related. Probably a thunder arrow to go with the bow he is holding.

His abilities correspond to old myths from a book that Gege mentioned previously.

In the book Ryomen Sukuna is depicted having four arms, using two swords and two bows. I think the swords correspond to Cleave and Dismantle, and the two bows correspond to the Fire Arrow and an eventual Thunder Arrow.

The trident that he is holding is associated with Shiva. That's where his fire arrow tech comes from.

The bow is Indra's weapon.

And I think this was also foreshadowed in chapter 12. Yuji mentions fire and thunder. We already know now Sukuna can fire fire arrows.

Anyway thoughts guys? And share any other interesting Sukuna theories you have here.

This can, imo, serve as a great 'origin' story for Sukuna and give him more depth as well.

The problem I have is that Gege seems really really keen on finishing JJK soon, like this year as he said. Taking that into account, I am not sure if he will do Sukuna justice with only a few chapters of fb. A few hopefully.

Not to say that Sukuna is bad per se. He's like my 3rd fave character. Good villain, great design. Ruthless, cool, badass. A flashback of him should be great, I already had some theories on him previously

This can, imo, serve as a great 'origin' story for Sukuna and give him more depth as well.

The problem I have is that Gege seems really really keen on finishing JJK soon, like this year as he said. Taking that into account, I am not sure if he will do Sukuna justice with only a few chapters of fb. A few hopefully.
All we can do is hope we get a Heian era flashback from the POV of someone that was around Sukuna (Uraume, Kenjaku, Sukuna himself, etc) thatโ€™ll give us at least a peek into his past and who he really is

Right now we just donโ€™t have enough to work with

You just canโ€™t compare him to someone like Gojo whoโ€™s had more than enough time to be developed (very well I might add)