Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottkins

✯ ✧ 𝔾 𝕠 𝕕 𝕠 𝕗 𝕃 𝕚 𝕖 𝕤 ✧ ✯
Still don't understand why we call it pride.

To have pride is to feel good about an accomplishment, something you did, or something you became. An achievement. That's why it can both be good or bad, lest someone become vain.

What did they accomplish? What did they become? Just seems like the wrong term to use.

Maybe Content Month, Accepted Month, Individuality month.

Pride just never made sense.
Because of decades society made us be ashamed of who we are, where "gay son was bringing shame to the family" and such, afraid to come out cuz otherwise others would beat you to death or even send police after u. Where in many places people still die because of that terror of community around bulling them verbally and physically, making them be ashamed of who they are.

So call to be pride of who you are, that you're like everyone else, that you're not a disease, or thing to be ashamed of, is quite fitting.

Because of decades society made us be ashamed of who we are, where "gay son was bringing shame to the family" and such, afraid to come out cuz otherwise others would beat you to death or even send police after u. Where in many places people still die because of that terror of community around bulling them verbally and physically, making them be ashamed of who they are.

So call to be pride of who you are, that you're like everyone else, that you're not a disease, or thing to be ashamed of, is quite fitting.
But you have no control of who you are. You didn't achieve it. Being proud of who you are is dumb since you had no decision in the matter.

This isn't just alphabet stuff either. Same point stands to country pride like 'I'm proud to be an American,' is equally stupid of a statement. Being born somewhere is not an accomplishment, maybe moving here is, but it's still not a thing that fits the definition of pride.

'I'm proud of my art,' 'proud I'm an artist.' These are accomplishments, the person worked to be such. You didn't work to be gay, or American, or black.

Rottkins

But you have no control of who you are. You didn't achieve it. Being proud of who you are is dumb since you had no decision in the matter.

This isn't just alphabet stuff either. Same point stands to country pride like 'I'm proud to be an American,' is equally stupid of a statement. Being born somewhere is not an accomplishment, maybe moving here is, but it's still not a thing that fits the definition of pride.

'I'm proud of my art,' 'proud I'm an artist.' These are accomplishments, the person worked to be such. You didn't work to be gay, or American, or black.
if you really need accomplishment to let someone say that they are pride than:

- people thought for their rights and acceptance for long so the pride festivals can be read as pride from what through years we did to accomplish what we have now
- pride can be due to the progress of the fight with difficulties of the life what we have due to who we are, that we still stand, didn't bend or cracked under the pressure and so

also fun fact, in poland with call pride festivals "parady równości" which means "parade of equality"

if you really need accomplishment to let someone say that they are pride than:

- people thought for their rights and acceptance for long so the pride festivals can be read as pride from what through years we did to accomplish what we have now
- pride can be due to the progress of the fight with difficulties of the life what we have due to who we are, that we still stand, didn't bend or cracked under the pressure and so

also fun fact, in poland with call pride festivals "parady równości" which means "parade of equality"
Then that would be pride of being resilient in the face of oppression. Pride of perseverance. Pride of overcoming opposition. Those are things a person did.

Not 'yay gay pride.' Gay wasn't the skill. Perseverance was.

Rottkins

Then that would be pride of being resilient in the face of oppression. Pride of perseverance. Pride of overcoming opposition. Those are things a person did.

Not 'yay gay pride.' Gay wasn't the skill. Perseverance was.
you have really odd standards

Mr. Reloaded

I did not kill my wife
Holy fuck this survived this long?
I thought people won't care 2 hours after thread got published.
This is the politics thread 2.0 just with one topic :ihaha: only the beginning my friend

Also there's a number of LGBTQ members who legit use this thread to be open about themselves, and remind people of the hardships of being gay. I would definitely read some of @Rottkins posts, very interesting stuff.

Rottkins

I'm autistic. Things need to make sense or they bug the fuck out of me.
ok, but still. Pride is not only coming from obvious achievement, pride of simply existing is still a pride, that you achieved living and being who you really are. That you fought for that expression of yourself. Pride Month is for being truly proud of that you are you, and that's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.