Powers & Abilities Debunking Literally Every Argument Against Ryokugyu’s Black Blade UPDATE: Confirmed! 09/04/2024

Does Ryokugyu Have A Black Blade?

• Total voters

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
Multiple people in recent history have punches comparable to prime Garp,
…Like who exactly?

No, because it is explicitly told to us that Garp is the one who trained Aokijis phsycial strength to that point as his mentor.
So does Mihawk having a black blade devalue Ryuma? I mean, Ryuma didn’t train Mihawk. Lol

I didn't look every single page of the manga so I can't tell that.
Let me save you some time: it’s never happened. Oda has never introduced a sword that isn’t either silver or black. And he’s never colored a silver blade black the way he did with Ryokugyu’s.

So that changes nothing to the point I made earlier.
Except you just said that you weren’t able to show any examples of any sword coloring in the manga that reinforces your point.

“That changes nothing about my point” yeah other than the fact that your point is baseless with no proof substantiating it as you yourself said lol.

Ryokugyu black blade affirmers are operating by the exact logic Oda has taught us using the manga (on which he’s been 100% consistent), you are claiming that FuckUp animation who gets something wrong every episode has been correct 99% of the time (fucking lol) and that they are correct here in spite of what the manga shows.

…Like who exactly?
So does Mihawk having a black blade devalue Ryuma? I mean, Ryuma didn’t train Mihawk. Lol
lol somehow Ryuma (legendary swordmain of the sword country) having a feat that only the WORLDS STRONGEST SWORDSMAN has accomplished devalues it? Silly moon logic there buddy, Mihawk having a black blade makes Ryuma a fucking chad who was in Mihawks weight class.

Except you just said that you weren’t able to show any examples of any sword coloring in the manga that reinforces your point.

“That changes nothing about my point” yeah other than the fact that your point is baseless with no proof substantiating it as you yourself said lol.

Ryokugyu black blade affirmers are operating by the exact logic Oda has taught us using the manga (on which he’s been 100% consistent), you are claiming that FuckUp animation who gets something wrong every episode has been correct 99% of the time (fucking lol) and that they are correct here in spite of what the manga shows.
Oda draws stuff in black and white, which then get colored in "official color versions".

The POINT is that black is not always for dark colors and white is not always for light colors.

I can provide you with hundreds of examples proving that: the whip, the axe, Queen's hair...

It is probable that this is the first instance that it happens with a sword but you just don't get to refute the point because it probably never happened with a sword before.

The point is still valid and you can't disprove it because it's true.

A sword being black in a "black and white" manga does not necessarily imply that the sword is black (unless confirmed by the author), especially considering that everything that is black is not dark colored in the "official colored versions", and even less "black".

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
lol somehow Ryuma (legendary swordmain of the sword country) having a feat that only the WORLDS STRONGEST SWORDSMAN has accomplished devalues it? Silly moon logic there buddy, Mihawk having a black blade makes Ryuma a fucking chad who was in Mihawks weight class.
Mkay so there you go, Ryuma not training Mihawk doesn’t downplay Ryuma, Mihawk not training Ryokugyu doesn’t downplay Mihawk. Lol

The POINT is that black is not always for black colors and white is not always for light colors.
It is for swords though. Literally fucking 100% of the time. Silver blades are silver, black ones are black. There has literally never been an exception to this rule. Lol

Mkay so there you go, Ryuma not training Mihawk doesn’t downplay Ryuma, Mihawk not training Ryokugyu doesn’t downplay Mihawk. Lol

It is for swords though. Literally fucking 100% of the time. Silver blades are silver, black ones are black. There has literally never been an exception to this rule. Lol
Except the 2 confirmed black swords are clearly black in the manga and not reflecting any light, they were confirmed to be black blades by the author, and they were colored black in the official animation.

On the other hand, Ryokugyu's sword doesn't fit any of these descriptions.

Ryuma or Mihawk could easily turn out to have stronger Haki than Roger though.
More importantly, even if it is just CoA, having one of greatest CoA in centuries is an amazing feat.

That's not how Oda writes though.
Besides, no, some swords are simply better than others and turning sword black does increase its rank

Black blades are harder and seem to offer more power when user swings. Having a black blade automatically makes the swordsman have one of best possible weapons.
Nah, there’s nearly zero chance of Mihawk having stronger Haki than Roger. That’s something that’s simply never highlighted for anyone besides Pirate King candidates with Roger himself being the very top. At best, he could have 1 specific area of specialization that’s better than Roger’s, like armament. That would be nice, but Oda shafting it and making CoC basically be a better version lessens the appeal.
Personally, the moment that Oda made forging black blades an esoteric skill that’s unnecessary to stand at the top just relegated it to an interesting tidbit whether a character is using one or not. All the Haki effects with fire and lightning doesn’t do the visual appeal any favours either.

Feel the same about ranks of swords. Finding out that WB’s bisento is a supreme grade blade did nothing for me.
I really feel it would make no difference if Oda said it was just a regular bisento…or if he came out and said “oh yeah, it’s a black blade.” Marineford would just read pretty much the same.

Haven’t really seen it make a difference in power either. It’s not really been the deciding factor in any fight. Zoro even got more powerful switching a black blade for a non-black one in Wano.

This is exhausting.

But to explain a base concept you aren't grasping: "Ryokugu making a black blade without being a sword main devalues that feat for sword mains, because basically any top tier with the haki required could do it".

This is exhausting.

But to explain a base concept you aren't grasping: "Ryokugu making a black blade without being a sword main devalues that feat for sword mains, because basically any top tier with the haki required could do it".
Roger, Garling, Whitebeard and Shanks didn't have a black blade and he expects that an admiral who ate a devil fruit gets one, then we are supposedly the delusional here for calling them out on this.

Except the 2 confirmed black swords are clearly black in the manga and not reflecting any light, they were confirmed to be black blades by the author, and they were colored black in the official animation.

On the other hand, Ryokugyu's sword doesn't fit any of these descriptions.

Yeah Aramaki's sword looks weird compared to these other two, I doubt it's a black blade.

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
"Ryokugu making a black blade without being a sword main devalues that feat for sword mains, because basically any top tier with the haki required could do it".
Wasn’t it Mihawk who said any sword could become a black blade? Lol

But you are contradicting yourself. Aokiji isn’t primarily a fist fighter, but apparently him achieving prime Garp punching power doesn’t devalue prime Garp. But Ryokugyu achieving a black blade would devalue Mihawk? Pretty blatantly contradictory.

Yeah Aramaki's sword looks weird compared to these other two, I doubt it's a black blade.
Tbh it just looks thinner than Shusui.
Don't size shame

Nah, there’s nearly zero chance of Mihawk having stronger Haki than Roger. That’s something that’s simply never highlighted for anyone besides Pirate King candidates with Roger himself being the very top. At best, he could have 1 specific area of specialization that’s better than Roger’s, like armament. That would be nice, but Oda shafting it and making CoC basically be a better version lessens the appeal.
Personally, the moment that Oda made forging black blades an esoteric skill that’s unnecessary to stand at the top just relegated it to an interesting tidbit whether a character is using one or not. All the Haki effects with fire and lightning doesn’t do the visual appeal any favours either.

Feel the same about ranks of swords. Finding out that WB’s bisento is a supreme grade blade did nothing for me.
I really feel it would make no difference if Oda said it was just a regular bisento…or if he came out and said “oh yeah, it’s a black blade.” Marineford would just read pretty much the same.

Haven’t really seen it make a difference in power either. It’s not really been the deciding factor in any fight. Zoro even got more powerful switching a black blade for a non-black one in Wano.
Mihawk is a big unknown, but so far, there is no reason not to except because he will be surpassed by someone's underling.
You are acting like CoO and CoA are irrelevant now, which just isn't true. They aren't as good, but they are still great, and having one of greatest CoA in centuries is essentially instant legendary status.
For me, it's the opposite. The fact that only two people with the strongest title made it AND most of those at the top don't have it, just goes to show how astonishing the feat is.

Sure, but that is only because Bisento itself is only a small part of Whitebeard's arsenal.
Oden would be a better example.

That is only because Enma is a cursed sword, so Zoro could use it as a training tool.
Black blades haven't been explored, but they are clearly special.

"Hardness is ONE OF the special characteristics of the black blade"
And the world's strongest sword is a black blade.
It also seems to be heavier and create bigger and more powerful strikes.

We'll see what's up with black blades, but it is pretty clear they are a power-up and that most top tier Haki masters can't make them.

Tbh it just looks thinner than Shusui.
Don't size shame

Mihawk is a big unknown, but so far, there is no reason not to except because he will be surpassed by someone's underling.
You are acting like CoO and CoA are irrelevant now, which just isn't true. They aren't as good, but they are still great, and having one of greatest CoA in centuries is essentially instant legendary status.
For me, it's the opposite. The fact that only two people with the strongest title made it AND most of those at the top don't have it, just goes to show how astonishing the feat is.

Sure, but that is only because Bisento itself is only a small part of Whitebeard's arsenal.
Oden would be a better example.

That is only because Enma is a cursed sword, so Zoro could use it as a training tool.
Black blades haven't been explored, but they are clearly special.

"Hardness is ONE OF the special characteristics of the black blade"
And the world's strongest sword is a black blade.
It also seems to be heavier and create bigger and more powerful strikes.

We'll see what's up with black blades, but it is pretty clear they are a power-up and that most top tier Haki masters can't make them.
Yeah, CoO and CoA are still important, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that they’re not really at the forefront when talking about someone’s Haki being stronger than another.

It’s like Fujitora’s CoO reaching into space to find meteors. It’s a great unique feat that other top tiers don’t really excel at…but overall I don’t expect it to make much of a difference in practice and it’s more of a “oh, that’s cool for that character” thing.

I really wouldn’t care if Oden had a black blade either. Nothing would change practically for me. I’d still expect everything to play out the way it did.

We’re agreed that black blades haven’t really been explored…which is why I said at the start that things could change if something substantial is shown.
So far, it doesn’t affect much besides aesthetics. That’s all.

I love how Lee couldn't keep up with all the people pressuring him with those panels of Sengoku and Garp himself admitting he doesn't like the CDs and didn't want to protect them at all so he just changed the subject to whether or not Aramaki has a black blade.
Still not worse than the the @BlackLegFring guy who instead of arguing the actual thread or the subthread (black blades), he goes arguing about how I brought a whip instead of a sword as an example or how some people believed that Luffy would one shot Kizaru.

Agreed.

Okay, I understand your way of reasoning, though I disagree. I believe these things give us a good general indication of where Oda has these particular stats

The fact that it's not, automatically makes Mihawk and Ryuma look more impressive.

I really disagree on aesthetics part, but I find it overall reasonable.
Agreed. Just want to add that it is my hope that whatever is needed to forge a black blade is actually something meaningful.

At this point, I think that one of the less desirable scenarios is if it turns out to be something that any top tier could do but the rest just chose not to. I think that’s really what’s going to sell the impressiveness.