Spoiler One Piece Chapter 1099 Spoilers Discussion

Who is the true King of Sorbet ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"One Piece is my favorite anime/mangá"
person who only watched/read shonen
Have you heard of Shotaro Ishinomori? Yoshihiro Tatsumi? Shigeru Mizuki? Kazuo Koike? Yoshiharu Tsuge? You must have at least heard of Go Nagai right? Taiyo Matsumoto? Jiro Taniguchi? Suehiro Maruo?
Kid, I have delved into the history and medium of manga far more than you ever will. You probably don't even know that the names I listed were among the most influential people who defined manga and gekiga.
Hell, you probably don't even know what gekiga is.

Of course, if you compare One Piece with rubbish like Bleach, Naruto and Boku no Hero, One Piece comes out as better. But start putting HunterxHunter, JoJo and Jujutsu Kaisen in competition and uh, one piece starts to take a hit. If you put Gunnm, Berserk, Vagabond in the competition, manga in the seinen category, it doesn't even compare. It's literally comparing books from the library's children's category with books from the adult category. Turn Snow White vs Dracula.
That's a perfectly valid opinion

Not to generalize, but I feel like most people who say that have only read 1-3 mangas, all shonens too
See
Have you heard of Shotaro Ishinomori? Yoshihiro Tatsumi? Shigeru Mizuki? Kazuo Koike? Yoshiharu Tsuge? You must have at least heard of Go Nagai right? Taiyo Matsumoto? Jiro Taniguchi? Suehiro Maruo?
Kid, I have delved into the history and medium of manga far more than you ever will. You probably don't even know that the names I listed were among the most influential people who defined manga and gekiga.

First time I hear about gegika
:choppawhat:

Well...looks like oda wanted to use that plot as a reason for experimenting on kuma..... Though it doesn't put Vegapunk on good light given in order to save a child he experimented on kuma.
Kuma was already known as the "tyrant" and Vegapunk at first probably thought he was malicious person.

Have you ever read "pipipi popopó"? of course not? So that refutes everything you said.

First time I hear about gegika
:choppawhat:
Gekiga (dramatic pictures) is a style of Japanese comics aimed at adult audiences and marked by a more cinematic art style and more mature themes. Gekiga was the predominant style of adult comics in Japan in the 1960s and 1970s. It is aesthetically defined by sharp angles, dark hatching, and gritty lines, and thematically by realism, social engagement, maturity, and masculinity.

The movement of Gekiga was led by Yoshihiro Tatsumi in the 70s, when manga were still made for children. Gekiga had more realistic art and adult-oriented stories. Then over time, manga also began adopting the style of gekiga and started becoming more realistic while gekiga became synonymous with alternative manga. The stuff that is more artsy and experimental. Magazines such as Garo and COM solely published gekiga. Even Tezuka himself has drawn many gekiga alongside manga.

Gekiga (dramatic pictures) is a style of Japanese comics aimed at adult audiences and marked by a more cinematic art style and more mature themes. Gekiga was the predominant style of adult comics in Japan in the 1960s and 1970s. It is aesthetically defined by sharp angles, dark hatching, and gritty lines, and thematically by realism, social engagement, maturity, and masculinity.

The movement of Gekiga was led by Yoshihiro Tatsumi in the 70s, when manga were still made for children. Gekiga had more realistic art and adult-oriented stories. Then over time, manga also began adopting the style of gekiga and started becoming more realistic while gekiga became synonymous with alternative manga. The stuff that is more artsy and experimental. Magazines such as Garo and COM solely published gekiga. Even Tezuka himself has drawn many gekiga alongside manga.
Long before my time
:kayneshrug:

To be fair, I think most people(well on the older side of things) would at least have an inkling of Ishinomori's works, even if they don't know him by name.

Koike probably hits someone with some depth in the genre as well.

And yeah Nagai kinda goes without saying. He's like on the level of Tomino.

Status
Not open for further replies.