Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Gonna be honest.

Pretendsing like Bonney is a passive secondary product in the arc is pretty disingenuous. Even with Kuma being the primary focus of the flashback. Bonney is in no way a secondary player. Oda clearly dedicates a significant deal of narrative real estate to Bonney when she actually shows up, and not just purely as the daughter of Kuma.

Oda goes out of his way to show us Bonney training, tell us Bonney's dreams and desires, having her learn from Conney and I'd say most importantly. 1101, as pointed out by a lot of japanese readers, rather intentionally parallels luffy during chapter 1.

It's not just kuma's flashback, it's Kuma and bonney's flashback. Not unlike how Otohime's flashback is also Fisher tiger's even though he has less real estate than she does within it.

Also whenever people bring up the whole "deep connection with luffy" thing.

I'll keep going back to Chopper.

Who Luffy didn't know was a Doctor
Who luffy did not call by name for his ENTIRE ARC
And who Luffy chose to be a member of his crew entirely because he thought rumble ball was cool.

Bonney is the clear emotional core of this arc. It starts with the Straw hats meeting Bonney. Most of this arc has been encircling bonney's quest for revenge, and the climax of this arc is encircling Bonney's desire for Revenge and waning faith in Nika (Who is who Luffy represents)
I agree with Bonney being very important in this arc and her having a lot of relevance. The only thing I am not agreeing with is her being the emotional core of the arc. Think about it for a moment:
- There are 9 SHPs and 9 VAs - and all of them havn't fought against each other, yet.
- While Kuma and Bonney are getting fleshed out, Oda totally ignores Vegapunk - and this although he is the main character of the arc
- Oda did not show us what happened during that small time-skip, yet.
- The surprising fight between that person and that person has not been shown, yet (Kuma's fight with Saturn was not surprising for us - Oda does not mean that)

All of this together means that Oda is still hiding something and this will be the main problem - and he does so until Bonney and Kuma have had their attention. Now, that Kuma finally has arrived and starts to go wild, Oda can turn slowly to the main event. And for that he is already dropping more obvious hints, like the one of who gave Luffy food.
He is going to add more and more stuff, we will wonder about, until he probably will flash us with the surprising fight between that person and that person.

I think we will be shown that reveal in the next few chapters up to 1108. So, not long to wait anymore. ;)

Again, if you pick the pages it was stated as something that she would do with her father after she got cured, it barely counted as a dream. Kuma during his travels mentioned places he wanted to go with her. After she got to the sea she went to find Kuma and had to pass to fishermen island to get to the new world. Everything is about Kuma and connected with him. If Kuma dies like you lot want her dream will never be possible to be finished (assuming this is a true dream) and would have to be refurbished to fit.

Not only that the places that she mentioned that she wanted to see are all places that were show in the story and that she can go without issues during the series. If she joins she just has to mention it to Luffy for them to go. It's not something that will only be finished EOS. What part of this is ambiguous or hard to understand?
I actually agree that this doesn't count as a strawhat dream. It's traveling the world with KUMA not just traveling the world. I guess it works if they both join. I think it makes more sense if she inherits Kuma's will to liberate the world, but that hasn't happened as of yet. I still think she has a great shot, but the dream and role still need to happen late, like Robin, Ussop, or Franky.

I agree with Bonney being very important in this arc and her having a lot of relevance. The only thing I am not agreeing with is her being the emotional core of the arc. Think about it for a moment:
- There are 9 SHPs and 9 VAs - and all of them havn't fought against each other, yet.
- While Kuma and Bonney are getting fleshed out, Oda totally ignores Vegapunk - and this although he is the main character of the arc
- Oda did not show us what happened during that small time-skip, yet.
- The surprising fight between that person and that person has not been shown, yet (Kuma's fight with Saturn was not surprising for us - Oda does not mean that)

All of this together means that Oda is still hiding something and this will be the main problem - and he does so until Bonney and Kuma have had their attention. Now, that Kuma finally has arrived and starts to go wild, Oda can turn slowly to the main event. And for that he is already dropping more obvious hints, like the one of who gave Luffy food.
He is going to add more and more stuff, we will wonder about, until he probably will flash us with the surprising fight between that person and that person.

I think we will be shown that reveal in the next few chapters up to 1108. So, not long to wait anymore. ;)

If Vegapunk is being ignored, he probably isn't the main character of the arc. Instead of, you know. The Girl who has the most panel space in the arc and is currently got the greatest contrast with the clear arc villain.

If Vegapunk is being ignored, he probably isn't the main character of the arc. Instead of, you know. The Girl who has the most panel space in the arc and is currently got the greatest contrast with the clear arc villain.
The problem is that Luffy's opponent at the moment is not Saturn - it is Kizaru, he is supposed to fright against. If Bonney and Kuma were the ones, who bear the main problem of the arc, Oda would make Luffy fight Saturn, not Kizaru.

Don't think anyone will join from this point on. Its just too late and wouldn't feel as if the new member really belongs there. Anyone building a bond with the SH's from here on is nothing more than an ally.
I'm at least of the mindset that Bonney is the last shot at a new nakama. If no one joins in egghead, I won't consider anyone else joining in the future.

One of her two life goals was literally to meet Luffy, she just didn't know it was him yet. That absolutely does make her a candidate, especially since she has nowhere else to go, assuming Kuma doesn't come back to life.
There are a lot of characters scattered around the world that believe in the sun god that one day comes to them and liberates them -hence all the sun symbols-, it doesn't make them a SH candidate. A character wanting something doesn't make them a SH candidate either. Every character in One Piece wants something. Vegapunk wants to find the source of energy the ancient kingdom had, a perfect endgame dream if you must, and VP doesn't have anywhere else to go either, but I don't see people fighting over him joining here. It's because he is an ugly old dude and not a pretty girl, isn't it?
So as I said a character wanting something doesn't make them a SH, it's repeated exchanges like this that do:

(Do not confuse with a generic "oh no X is in trouble we have to help them"). So yeah once you see more than one of these meaningful interactions between SHs during the arc showing the character's understanding of the other on a deeper level, a change of heart, etc., this is probably your candidate. A "dream", even if it's more than I wanna see the world copypasta, doesn't mean much on it's own.

There are a lot of characters scattered around the world that believe in the sun god that one day comes to them and liberates them -hence all the sun symbols-, it doesn't make them a SH candidate. A character wanting something doesn't make them a SH candidate either. Every character in One Piece wants something. Vegapunk wants to find the source of energy the ancient kingdom had, a perfect endgame dream if you must, and VP doesn't have anywhere else to go either, but I don't see people fighting over him joining here. It's because he is an ugly old dude and not a pretty girl, isn't it?
So as I said a character wanting something doesn't make them a SH, it's repeated exchanges like this that do:

(Do not confuse with a generic "oh no X is in trouble we have to help them"). So yeah once you see more than one of these meaningful interactions between SHs during the arc showing the character's understanding of the other on a deeper level, a change of heart, etc., this is probably your candidate. A "dream", even if it's more than I wanna see the world copypasta, doesn't mean much on it's own.
This is something that has not been touched here before, I think. I find this great. :kata:

I never said any character that believes in Nika is a candidate. You're just being intellectually dishonest if you're really telling me you can't see a difference between Bonney's connection to Nika (and specifically Luffy) and someone like Who's Who. And for the record, I did push for Vegapunk when he first said that dream, but he has not displayed any other qualities of a Strawhat. No villain for Luffy to beat, no tragic backstory, no combat abilities, and no inherited will. Bonney has, at a minimum, more than Ussop or Robin did at this point in their arcs. But it's classic low effort gatekeeping to see any female character people think will join and equate it to "because boobs", so I guess you don't really have a real reason for her not to join, you just don't like Bonney.

I never said any character that believes in Nika is a candidate. You're just being intellectually dishonest if you're really telling me you can't see a difference between Bonney's connection to Nika (and specifically Luffy) and someone like Who's Who. And for the record, I did push for Vegapunk when he first said that dream, but he has not displayed any other qualities of a Strawhat. No villain for Luffy to beat, no tragic backstory, no combat abilities, and no inherited will. Bonney has, at a minimum, more than Ussop or Robin did at this point in their arcs. But it's classic low effort gatekeeping to see any female character people think will join and equate it to "because boobs", so I guess you don't really have a real reason for her not to join, you just don't like Bonney.
Intellectually dishonest :pepeke: Why is this victim play if you have nothing definite to say to prove me wrong. I didn't say Bonney is no different from Who is Who wtf lmao. I said what you should pay attention to if you want to see the difference and be able to tell when Oda is cooking a next nakama in front of you and when he's just telling another story and to what you shouldn't. Don't think those are valid? That's fine. What I also said is the wanting to see Nika wish you call "deep connections with Luffy" while is a nice touch from Oda to make Bonney relevant to the current events, that alone doesn't mean shite when it comes to joining the crew (nor it's a deep connection, I explained in my previous reply why do I think that). How do you think I knew Yamato isn't joining? Must be something to do with my intellectual dishonesty :lawsigh:

Intellectually dishonest :pepeke: Why is this victim play if you have nothing definite to say to prove me wrong. I didn't say Bonney is no different from Who is Who wtf lmao. I said what you should pay attention to if you want to see the difference and be able to tell when Oda is cooking a next nakama in front of you and when he's just telling another story and to what you shouldn't. Don't think those are valid? That's fine. What I also said is the wanting to see Nika wish you call "deep connections with Luffy" while is a nice touch from Oda to make Bonney relevant to the current events, that alone doesn't mean shite when it comes to joining the crew (nor it's a deep connection, I explained in my previous reply why do I think that). How do you think I knew Yamato isn't joining? Must be something to do with my intellectual dishonesty :lawsigh:
Victim play? How exactly am I playing the victim? It's things like this that make me not take your arguments seriously. It seems like you're just making stuff up.

You said the Nika stuff doesn't make Bonney a candidate because other characters believe in Nika too. In other words, you are saying Bonney's Nika connection is no different from a character like who's who, and yes, it's intellectually dishonest if you believe that, though based on your response, I don't think you know what that term means.

And the case for Bonney is much more than just the Nika connection. We've been through it a million times here and I don't have time to make a giant wall of text. Read back or ask someone else if you want the rundown.

As far as your criteria of saying something similar to "existing is not a crime" multiple times, do I even need to adress it? That's the most arbitrary criteria I've heard, up there with CarrotforNakama, and it describes half the characters in the series.

No one is impressed that you didn't think Yamato would join. That's basically half the fanbase. Your opinion doesn't count for extra just because you once sided with a semi-unpopular agenda that worked out. Get over yourself.

That's basically half the fanbase.
Yes, definitely the half, especially in this (previous) thread during 2021-2022 :suresure:
That's the most arbitrary criteria I've heard
That's explains a lot lmao. It is actually hilarious the way you think it's Bonney or no one else while Vivi exists. What Ace had (has) with Luffy is called a deep connection, what Bonney has (her father's story) is not. She won't join, because she lacks things I mentioned above. You can call my reasoning however you like.

Yes, definitely the half, especially in this (previous) thread during 2021-2022 :suresure:

That's explains a lot lmao. It is actually hilarious the way you think it's Bonney or no one else while Vivi exists. What Ace had (has) with Luffy is called a deep connection, what Bonney has (her father's story) is not. She won't join, because she lacks things I mentioned above. You can call my reasoning however you like.
The nakama thread was a warzone, and the Yamato crew was toxic. If you lived in there, it probably seemed like everyone agreed, but really there were just as many people who said she wouldn't join. And plenty of the Yamato crew used the exact argument you're using now. "I called Franky joining from day 1, so I know what I'm talking about" "I was on the Jinbei train since Impel down" and things like that. Just because you got one thing right doesn't mean you'll get the next thing right, and you're sounding a lot like CarrotforNakama pretending that your opinion means more than everyone else's.

The last part discredits you completely imo. Vivi is a non combatant with no dream and no role after 900 chapters, a kingdom she has to return to who already refused to join the crew and shows no signs of showing up before the final war, and it's "hilarious" that I don't see her as an option.

I'll take your refusal to respond to the rest of it as a concession that I'm right on those points.

The last part discredits you completely imo. Vivi is a non combatant with no dream and no role after 900 chapters, a kingdom she has to return to who already refused to join the crew and shows no signs of showing up before the final war, and it's "hilarious" that I don't see her as an option.
I'm not even saying Vivi will join, calm down, "discreditor":catcry:. She has her cons (her country) but also she is the only one character that works (without Oda being a sneaky troll about it again). The way you seems to be a deep connections as a reason to join spotter you're definitely missing a bean in your eye with Vivi here. Just saying.
I'll take your refusal to respond to the rest of it as a concession that I'm right on those points.
There is nothing to respond to. I made my point short and clear. It's you who is dragging this out with "intellectual dishonesty", assumptions of me loving on not loving a character, Carrot for Nakama ptsd and other non-relevant to my initial argument lovely topics. We'll get back to this when Egghead ends.

I'm not even saying Vivi will join, calm down, "discreditor":catcry:. She has her cons (her country) but also she is the only one character that works (without Oda being a sneaky troll about it again). The way you seems to be a deep connections as a reason to join spotter you're definitely missing a bean in your eye with Vivi here. Just saying.

There is nothing to respond to. I made my point short and clear. It's you who is dragging this out with "intellectual dishonesty", assumptions of me loving on not loving a character, Carrot for Nakama ptsd and other non-relevant to my initial argument lovely topics. We'll get back to this when Egghead ends.
I never said "deep connections" is the only reason for Bonney to join, that's just the only point in her favor that you objected to. Vivi has way deeper connections to the crew than Bonney, obviously.

As for the rest, I won't complain if you don't want to respond, I was just responding to you claiming I was somehow playing a victim and saying you're right about this because of Yamato. But hey, if you want to say you and CarrotforNakama are both smart for the same reason, more power to you. I guess he must be right about a giant named Thor joining in Elbaf since he also said Yamato wouldn't join.

I believe it's disingenuous to still hold potential Nakama candidates to the same to the tee standards as members 1 through 8. Someone pointed out Jinbe for example.

If you re read Fishman Island's flashback, Jinbe is a mere witness to the lives of Otohime and Tiger, who he's the most connected to in that arc, but can we honestly say his connection was any stronger than say Arlong? I don't think so.

Yet, he still joined. Also, Jinbe said he was joining since FI arc and we still have yet to get a str8 forward dream from him outside of vague references to fighting for fishman/merfolk freedom through following Luffy and helping acheive his dream as PK. But he joined anyway, but I regress on this for now.

Bonney not being planned ahead of time shouldn't disqualify her anymore than it did Franky or Robin. Who weren't early concepts either. Or how Ussop, Brook and Chopper are vastly different than their original concepts. Zoro was originally apart of Buggy's crew, and maybe the plan was to always have him switch sides, who knows except Oda. But from the old sketches we know who was always meant to be strawhats.

The original 4 from East Blue. Brook, Chopper and Jinbe. Everyone else was either merged into existing characters or cast to the void of Oda's imagination.

While I do agree that, because of what happened with Yamato, there's no guarantee Bonney joins even if her and Luffy are attached to the hip for the rest of this arc, and she actually shows interest in joining. BUT let's not pretend because Kuma has been the focus of this flashback, it negates Bonney's own trauma and development in these situations concerning major key factors.

Her priority subplanted even Ginny's In the story, who was indirectly responsible for God Valley. Yamato had even less going for them outside of claiming they'd leave with Luffy, we got alittle information about her traumatic childhood from her tough love under Kaido, and her being a Oden Stan. Who's flashback was ALL about him with the Scabbards as the closest runner ups.

Bonney is already connected to Celestial Dragons, World Government agents, scientists, Marines and literally raised on Nika as a religion by Kuma himself, who the crew viewed as an enemy until relatively recently in story wise.

Her personal story arc has echoes of Franky, Sanji, and Robin. Her arc holds emotional weight and has ties to the wider issues plaguing the story.

These facts shouldn't be ignored.

I believe it's disingenuous to still hold potential Nakama candidates to the same to the tee standards as members 1 through 8. Someone pointed out Jinbe for example.

If you re read Fishman Island's flashback, Jinbe is a mere witness to the lives of Otohime and Tiger, who he's the most connected to in that arc, but can we honestly say his connection was any stronger than say Arlong? I don't think so.

Yet, he still joined. Also, Jinbe said he was joining since FI arc and we still have yet to get a str8 forward dream from him outside of vague references to fighting for fishman/merfolk freedom through following Luffy and helping acheive his dream as PK. But he joined anyway, but I regress on this for now.

Bonney not being planned ahead of time shouldn't disqualify her anymore than it did Franky or Robin. Who weren't early concepts either. Or how Ussop, Brook and Chopper are vastly different than their original concepts. Zoro was originally apart of Buggy's crew, and maybe the plan was to always have him switch sides, who knows except Oda. But from the old sketches we know who was always meant to be strawhats.

The original 4 from East Blue. Brook, Chopper and Jinbe. Everyone else was either merged into existing characters or cast to the void of Oda's imagination.

While I do agree that, because of what happened with Yamato, there's no guarantee Bonney joins even if her and Luffy are attached to the hip for the rest of this arc, and she actually shows interest in joining. BUT let's not pretend because Kuma has been the focus of this flashback, it negates Bonney's own trauma and development in these situations concerning major key factors.

Her priority subplanted even Ginny's In the story, who was indirectly responsible for God Valley. Yamato had even less going for them outside of claiming they'd leave with Luffy, we got alittle information about her traumatic childhood from her tough love under Kaido, and her being a Oden Stan. Who's flashback was ALL about him with the Scabbards as the closest runner ups.

Bonney is already connected to Celestial Dragons, World Government agents, scientists, Marines and literally raised on Nika as a religion by Kuma himself, who the crew viewed as an enemy until relatively recently in story wise.

Her personal story arc has echoes of Franky, Sanji, and Robin. Her arc holds emotional weight and has ties to the wider issues plaguing the story.

These facts shouldn't be ignored.
Well said :cheers: