Versus Battle Is Pain vs Itachi a debate?

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Do we actually know that to be the case though? Jiraiya and the toads didn't know there were other Pain's at this point, so they would've just stopped the Genjutsu after killing the first three.

Also, the Pain's share eyesight and the toad's Genjutsu is auditory whereas Itachi's is visual.

this would imply that each Pein is counted as a distinct entity otherwise Nagato himself would be there for hearing it.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
The comparison stands when they're put on the same level field i.e., if we're talking about two people having the same ocular powers, the guy with better skill generally excels. But there are limits to how far skill alone can take you, which was established during Itachi vs Kakashi. While it's true Itachi's usage of Sharingan far exceeds Nagato's Rinnegan mastery, the difference b/w the two abilities is too big for Itachi's skill to make a difference.
I’m not sure the manga supports this. Mastery and skill > raw ability is a recurring motif. And it doesn’t help that Nagato has virtually zero genjutsu feats himself.

You can make excellent cases for Peins being better suited to fight genjutsu than Nagato himself, due to the fact Nagato constantly sends chakra to them and he changes the frequency of his chakra to an extent that sensors can’t detect him.

But I don’t see the rinnegan giving Nagato auto immunity to genjutsu.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
The Rinnegan isn't just an upgrade to the Sharingan though...it's a completely different dojutsu unlike the Mangekyo which is a literal upgrade, we've seen that Sharingan users have to specifically downgrade their Rinnegan to use certain techniques and Nagato's Rinnegan isn't even his so it's automatically inferior by default.
Even if it isn't in the same sense as MS and Sharingan, Rinnegan is still Sharinga's upgrade, and it being a different Dojutsu doesn't really refute the fact that it's a superior ocular power that can oppose the inferior ability. While it's true it can't replicate Sharingan's applications, opposing genjutsu isn't one of those.

I’m not sure the manga supports this. Mastery and skill > raw ability is a recurring motif. And it doesn’t help that Nagato has virtually zero genjutsu feats himself.
You can make excellent cases for Peins being better suited to fight genjutsu than Nagato himself, due to the fact Nagato constantly sends chakra to them and he changes the frequency of his chakra to an extent that sensors can’t detect him.
But I don’t see the rinnegan giving Nagato auto immunity to genjutsu.
It's not like Nagato's master is 0 or something. He's still decent even if he's not among the best and he has the overwhelming advantage of having a far superior Dojutsu. I mean, look at Obito, he's nowhere near the genius that Itachi is, but give him Hashirama juice, he controls Kyubi and a perfect Jin—something even Itachi probably can't manage.

Even if it isn't in the same sense as MS and Sharingan, Rinnegan is still Sharinga's upgrade, and it being a different Dojutsu doesn't really refute the fact that it's a superior ocular power that can oppose the inferior ability. While it's true it can't replicate Sharingan's applications, opposing genjutsu isn't one of those.
Seeing through Genjutsu is a Sharingan application...?

It's explicitly obvious that Pain's Rinnegan inherits absolutely nothing from a Sharingan, Smoke Bombs work to hide from Pain's Rinnegan when Itachi can literally see through walls...

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Seeing through Genjutsu is a Sharingan application...?

It's explicitly obvious that Pain's Rinnegan inherits absolutely nothing from a Sharingan, Smoke Bombs work to hide from Pain's Rinnegan when Itachi can literally see through walls...

Rinnegan has it too. That's how Sasuke opposes Madara's Infinite Tsukiyomi.

Rinnegan has it too. That's how Sasuke opposes Madara's Infinite Tsukiyomi.
Sasuke's Rinnegan isn't your run of the mill Rinnegan, it has tomoe and explicitly allows him to use his Sharingan abilities.

Why are you comparing Pain's budget Rinnegan to this? It makes no sense...we clearly see in the manga that Pain can't do anything Sharingan related.