Controversial What the hell happened to the art in the manga? (Chapter 1118 and beyond)

The current art feels like it could be from a completely different manga. The art has been at its absolute lowest ever since the latter half of the Wano arc. The linework is awful, it's hard to make out characters and their actions. The lightning-fast pacing of the current manga made full-double spreads become a rarity. There's less emphasis on important moments. Instead, they are tucked away in tiny panels for a single page. Don't give me the "but Oda has health issues" crap. Oda should stop using manga as a means to convey his story if drawing takes too much of an effort for him. Although that's pretty much what he's doing already - he puts more emphasis on written speech than the art.

The current art feels like it could be from a completely different manga. The art has been at its absolute lowest ever since the latter half of the Wano arc. The linework is awful, it's hard to make out characters and their actions. The lightning-fast pacing of the current manga made full-double spreads become a rarity. There's less emphasis on important moments. Instead, they are tucked away in tiny panels for a single page. Don't give me the "but Oda has health issues" crap. Oda should stop using manga as a means to convey his story if drawing takes too much of an effort for him. Although that's pretty much what he's doing already - he puts more emphasis on written speech than the art.

I that's been the case since post time skip.
Why did you notice it now?

I that's been the case since post time skip.
Why did you notice it now?
This is not even a pre-timeskip, post-timeskip debate. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, despite being controversial arcs, have some of the best art in the whole series. Just compare the first three chapters of Wano to the last three chapters of Wano and you'll notice how bad it's become.

Cluttered pages have been a problem since at least Dressrosa in my opinion, things just got worse and worse as the manga went on. The insistence on adding more plotlines and characters than one can reasonably cover in one arc might be partly to blame. Separate scenes are thrown haphazardly in quick succession with barely any flow to them and the panels are left packed with way too much stuff going on.

I do really miss the days when big moments were given the room to breath and when the linework was clean and thin enough to let detail stand out without turning into the rough and wobbly sketches we often see now. The page you posted and so many other from pre-time skip (and I would say as far as even Punk Hazard in some cases) make it clear how far the art has fallen off.

Dude's been drawing this thing for the better part of his life though so I guess that's not too surprising. The anime is putting more work on the animation front lately to sell the impact/importance of some scenes (episode 1015 is probably the best execution we've ever had) but the pacing is generally still terrible....

Last edited:
I would say there is not much focus on background and other stuff idk the terms .. Maybe the assistants are also not given much information on what to do in the background. It does.. Not seems like work done by top selling manga... It's ok but yeah given it's one piece the money making machine for shueisha... It's meh quality..

It's crazy because usually the drawing of a manga gets better and better.
For One Piece its been a downgrade and a trully tremendous one. Now sometimes it gets hard to even understand what is going on on the panels.