Anime Discussion Kinnikuman: Perfect Origin Arc

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54730/Kinnikuman__Kanpeki_Chоujin_Shiso-hen

The new Kinnikuman series just started airing, so here's a thread for it.
For most of you unfamiliar with Kinnikuman, it is a massively influential superhero/wrestling manga which first serialized from 1979-1987 in Shonen Jump. The series later returned in a different magazine with the Kinnikuman Nisei series running from 1997-2011. Some of you may recognize Ultimate Muscle, which was the localized version of Kinnikuman Nisei. The creators, Yudetamago, returned to the original series in 2011, which is still ongoing and is the inspiration for the new anime. If you want to get started, the first episode of the new anime is a well done recap episode to get you up to speed.
Also, Oda is a confirmed Kinnikuman fan. Pandaman started as a character submission Oda made for the series.​

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54730/Kinnikuman__Kanpeki_Chоujin_Shiso-hen

The new Kinnikuman series just started airing, so here's a thread for it.
For most of you unfamiliar with Kinnikuman, it is a massively influential superhero/wrestling manga which first serialized from 1979-1987 in Shonen Jump. The series later returned in a different magazine with the Kinnikuman Nisei series running from 1997-2011. Some of you may recognize Ultimate Muscle, which was the localized version of Kinnikuman Nisei. The creators, Yudetamago, returned to the original series in 2011, which is still ongoing and is the inspiration for the new anime. If you want to get started, the first episode of the new anime is a well done recap episode to get you up to speed.
Also, Oda is a confirmed Kinnikuman fan. Pandaman started as a character submission Oda made for the series.​
Remember seeing this way way back on toonami or something. Was fun ngl. Ultimate Muscle yes, so is it a continuation or something different?

Remember seeing this way way back on toonami or something. Was fun ngl. Ultimate Muscle yes, so is it a continuation or something different?
I was waiting for a comment like this. Nisei and the revival do not take place in the same continuity. The first 36 volumes of the Kinnikuman manga are canon to both, but Nisei is a world where the original cast had no more fights after that point and retired, while the revival continues that cast's adventures.
While the cast may not carry over, the general feel of the series absolutely does. Everything appealing about Ultimate Muscle, like the wacky character designs, creative powers, great fights, and intense friendships all carry over.

If you would like to read the manga at some point, I'd suggest reading it in release order:
-Kinnikuman volumes 1-36
-Kinnikuman Nisei
-Kinnikuman Nisei Ultimate Tag (still not fully translated into English)
-Kinnikuman volumes 37-present

If you would like to read the manga at some point, I'd suggest reading it in release order:
-Kinnikuman volumes 1-36
-Kinnikuman Nisei
-Kinnikuman Nisei Ultimate Tag (still not fully translated into English)
-Kinnikuman volumes 37-present
Thanks, i was gonna ask about this exact thing.
I remember vaguely the jet dude with gyroscope as the last fight i watched.
So before i start reading, i should finish watching OG ultimate muscle and then start reading and then go for the new anime right?

Thanks, i was gonna ask about this exact thing.
I remember vaguely the jet dude with gyroscope as the last fight i watched.
So before i start reading, i should finish watching OG ultimate muscle and then start reading and then go for the new anime right?
Just for the new anime, I'd suggest only reading volumes 1-36. The events of Ultimate Muscle aren't relevant to this arc. The scans are the first series are not great, especially the ones for the last 6 volumes. It's a very old manga, but I'd highly recommend it. Nothing has come closer to capturing the feeling of reading Dragon Ball for the first time like reading the OG Kinnikuman. You see so many of the foundational shonen tropes get established in real time.

As for the Ultimate Muscle fight, that's Kevin Mask vs Ilioukhine (Comrade Turbinski). Pretty neat fight that's a call back to a fight in the original series that takes place on a 4D cube ring. The Ultimate Muscle anime has a different ending from the manga and doesn't adapt the last arc and sequel manga.

Just for the new anime, I'd suggest only reading volumes 1-36. The events of Ultimate Muscle aren't relevant to this arc. The scans are the first series are not great, especially the ones for the last 6 volumes. It's a very old manga, but I'd highly recommend it. Nothing has come closer to capturing the feeling of reading Dragon Ball for the first time like reading the OG Kinnikuman. You see so many of the foundational shonen tropes get established in real time.

As for the Ultimate Muscle fight, that's Kevin Mask vs Ilioukhine (Comrade Turbinski). Pretty neat fight that's a call back to a fight in the original series that takes place on a 4D cube ring. The Ultimate Muscle anime has a different ending from the manga and doesn't adapt the last arc and sequel manga.
Got it Thanks.
And yes i remember the cube ring in the air where kevin mask fought the jet guy.

AL sama

Red Haired
I watched the first few seasons back in 2005 and I remember the fights were super dragged out which was pretty annoying