Controversial Rumble’s Revenge On Democracy: WorstGen ASOIAF 2v2 Fighting Tournament

Where is Varys’s Manhood?

• Total voters

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
Barristan has better feats, statements, hype and portrayal

Cregan is definitely skilled but more notable as a commander
Keep in mind that Cregan Stark fought against Aemon the Dragon Knight, and Aemon said that he had never faced a better swordsman.

Aemon is pretty similar to Barristan in the sheer hype behind his prowess as a knight.

I think I would give Barristan the edge here. It would be one of his hardest fights, but Selmy's a bit ahead when it comes to martial feats, imo. Do we know how the fight between Cregan and Aemon ended? I'd be surprised if the latter didn't win.

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
Do we know how the fight between Cregan and Aemon ended?
Nah we pretty much only know that they fought and that Aemon made that comment. Which certainly implies he was very impressed by Cregan and may have not even beat him. I would argue he probably didn’t beat Cregan.

And it is interesting that Tyrion literally compared Barristan and Aemon in terms of fame.

Cregan has nothing going for him aside from the alleged compliments of Aemon the Dragonknight.

I don’t doubt Cregan was a skilled sword, but I also don’t take it for granted the “finest” the Dragonknight saw surpassed what Barristan was capable of.

Until we learn much more about Cregan, I can’t seriously put him in contention.

Last edited:
So one hand you have Selmy, legendary Kingsguard and one of the greatest swordsmen in Westeros history. Equal to Dayne without Dawn, plenty of feats like slaying Maelys the monstrous etc. At the start of Asoiaf he is the greatest knight alive by reputation and still a complete badass in skill, even killing the men that Joffrey had sent to capture him and leaving the city. As a pure fighter, if you leave aside special weapons, one can make a great case that no one in the lore starts with an outright advantage against him.

On the other hand, one of the fiercest Starks that we know of. A Northermen, thus not a knight. And yet Aemon the Dragonknight, perhaps the most famous knight in Martin's works and weilder of Dark Sister, songs and songs written on his great deeds, once faced him and declared that he had never faced a finer swordsman than Cregan Stark. Keep in mind that when Aemon was born, Cregan was 28. It's possible that the Cregan who Aemon faced at one point could have even been somewhat out of his prime, potentially making this statement even more impressive. By sheer hype, Cregan is best warrior from the North that we know of.

Really hard match. I'm certain that it would be a close fight, I think it would be a 50/50. Since I have to vote, I'll give to Selmy the nod.

Last edited:
I'm going with 50/50 here , can bent towards anywhere.

Cregan Stark was personally hyped by Aemon Dragonknight , and I consider Daemon Blackfyre/Aemon Dragonknight/Arthur dayne to be around equal only because their reputation and feats are off the charts.

- Weapon wise Cregan carry Valyrian Steel.
- Physique wise , I don't know which Cregan is being used here , The one Aemon fought was old yet one of the finest out there , means out of his prime , and same for barristan because by the time of ASOIAF events even he was old , maybe Maelys battle around or when he single handedly took aerys out was his prime.

- Prime one Maybe Barristan Win , He feels like a monster , older one is comparetively Calm.
- Older one most probably Cregan , Northerners are built different. They got an army of "Grey Beards" telling us how long they maintain their strength , they are simply tough.

Elder Lee Hung

Conqueror of the Stars
i mean.... that doesn't mean much if Aemon didn't fight other top top tiers.

who's the most notable fighter he won a 1v1 against? Some relatively unknown knight who insulted his sister's honor? Barristan has more impressive feats in combat.
He also 1v1’d and beat a Dornish champion in tournament, that earned him great fame across Westeros.