Rank The HunterXHunter Story Arcs

My ranking would go from last arc (expedition) to first one (hunter exam).

It just keeps getting better.
I sort of agree, but Greed Island is probably my least favorite arc since it's one of the most complicated & least rewarding. Gon's fight with the bomber is awesome & I like it's difficulty, but the cards require an dedication I don't have. I'd rather read logic then memorize cards & an entire gaming meta lol. The Hunters Exam is either one's most favorite or least favorite, but if you don't mind the length, it's really really fun. The hunting bit with Gon trailing Hisoka was awesome as well, set up the whole conflict & set up the fight in Heaven's Arena.

I sort of agree, but Greed Island is probably my least favorite arc since it's one of the most complicated & least rewarding. Gon's fight with the bomber is awesome & I like it's difficulty, but the cards require an dedication I don't have. I'd rather read logic then memorize cards & an entire gaming meta lol
Understandable. Greed Island felt like the Foxy arc of HxH. And turned out to be useless in the grand scheme of things.

Mmmhhh... I don't think I can give a clear ranking yet:

York shin arc was really good, that arc was probably what really hooked me up to this manga. It is full of memorable moments.

Greed island. For sure one of the arcs I like the most, maybe even the one I like the most, I liked the training stuff, the card system mechanics, how clever everything was (nasty mortal combos with card powers and/or nen which resulted in bloody messes but at the same time really smart plans). And also having Hisoka as an ally was really funny and great (beside the oedo moment), Biscuit was good too and great as a teacher.

Chimera ant arc. I think this is recognized by most if not all fans as the best arc, it is the Marineford of HxH, one of the best arcs in manga. Really good.

The election arc was not bad too but at least a step below the others above in my heart.

The current Moby dick arc, or whatever it is called, is a bit weird to me, maybe too much stuff at once plus hiatus x hiatus don't make it really enjoyable for me.

The heavenly arena arc seems like a short arc, not much happens beside them learning nen, some infos about nen system, bullying a bit the handicapped wannabe bullies and a not so memorable fight with Hisoka.

The hunter exam was quite interesting but I don't recall many hugh moments: Hisoka is dangerous, some fights at the end and some other moments but it didn't really get me.

Same for the rescue Killua arc, I remember that training stuff with heavy weights, the sinister doggo, some scary moments with the coin plays by Goto and that is it.

Mmmhhh... I don't think I can give a clear ranking yet:

York shin arc was really good, that arc was probably what really hooked me up to this manga. It is full of memorable moments.

Greed island. For sure one of the arcs I like the most, maybe even the one I like the most, I liked the training stuff, the card system mechanics, how clever everything was (nasty mortal combos with card powers and/or nen which resulted in bloody messes but at the same time really smart plans). And also having Hisoka as an ally was really funny and great (beside the oedo moment), Biscuit was good too and great as a teacher.

Chimera ant arc. I think this is recognized by most if not all fans as the best arc, it is the Marineford of HxH, one of the best arcs in manga. Really good.

The election arc was not bad too but at least a step below the others above in my heart.

The current Moby dick arc, or whatever it is called, is a bit weird to me, maybe too much stuff at once plus hiatus x hiatus don't make it really enjoyable for me.

The heavenly arena arc seems like a short arc, not much happens beside them learning nen, some infos about nen system, bullying a bit the handicapped wannabe bullies and a not so memorable fight with Hisoka.

The hunter exam was quite interesting but I don't recall many hugh moments: Hisoka is dangerous, some fights at the end and some other moments but it didn't really get me.

Same for the rescue Killua arc, I remember that training stuff with heavy weights, the sinister doggo, some scary moments with the coin plays by Goto and that is it.
I will swap yorknew with chimera arc but agree with the rest. Green island is very enjoyable.

I will swap yorknew with chimera arc but agree with the rest. Green island is very enjoyable.
At least I'm not the only one that likes it XD anyway I didn't gave a clear order because I don't know myself either but Chimera ant arc is one of the best ever made and for sure in the future it will be the arc that symbolises this manga like Namek saga with DBZ, hunt.. chunin exam with Naruto and so on.

Last edited:
Not really, it was a necessary training arc and it set up Gon and Killua to be part of the Chimera ant arc.
It only sets up because the narration or power level is made like this. We didn’t know about the kimera ant threat before greed island. And the point of greed island was to meet his father which turned out to be an anticlimactic meeting with his pupil. In other words it didn’t set up anything.

The only set up in this manga with narrative arcs is the expedition that sets up the dark continent. Because we know where we’re going for once.

It only sets up because the narration or power level is made like this. We didn’t know about the kimera ant threat before greed island. And the point of greed island was to meet his father which turned out to be an anticlimactic meeting with his pupil. In other words it didn’t set up anything.

The only set up in this manga with narrative arcs is the expedition that sets up the dark continent. Because we know where we’re going for once.
It set up the bad habit of Killua & Gon of rushing into fight's against opponents way better then them & using BIQ to win. Both Gon & Killua have barely fully cracking the surface of their potential, & Greed Island made a point of that. The Bomber was wayyy better then Gon, but he used subterfuge & determination to win.