Hmm, i don't know whenever it's mentioned in the manga, they use Unconscious, '' Muishiki '' as in not aware..
I feel like the translation of the word changes with context. Mu would be none and ishiki is consciousness or awareness. So basically without consciousness or awareness. Which in english can be either subconscious or unconscious.
You know what? I mulled it over and I always thought unconscious carries the connotation of knocked out or asleep or something along those lines, and now I'm actually not entirely sure.
I'll retract what I said, I'm probably wrong. Need to go do a bit of reading up on this.
Edit:
Looked it up. Seems like colloquially subconsciously is acceptable but the correct term apparently is debatable. Seems like the issue stems from subconscious not really having a clear definition but people just always used it as such. But technically speaking Freud would have used unconscious.
Learn something new every day.