The way he is getting CoC is fine but im kinda sad how the element of suprise is ruined.
I hear ya but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me personally.
Tryna think of what timing Oda could've inserted this CoC awakening, and the only one that comes to mind in recent memory is the moment Sanji destroyed the raid suit on Wano for example, but I feel like Oda adding it then would've been a bit cheap tbh.
I feel like with the whole plot line on WCI, it makes sense for Oda to build it up this way, and personally I feel like a conscious awakening as opposed to a subconscious one fits Sanji's character profile a bit more, but that's just me :p
Sanji as opposed to Zoro and Luffy is more of a think before I act type of character. He uses his head a bit more than they do, or rather he's more intentional with his actions? He's also very aware of himself and his surroundings. I mean he said it himself that he can feel it in himself.
Btw, if you were to have written this, how would you have done it?