General & Others Why have we not seen a single character who aspires to be WSS?

What is Zoro then? :zorothink:

He is more than enough

At the end of the day Whitebeard was also the WSS of his era, worst case is Roger depending on Oda's take on Whitebeard's weapon
Oddly enough, Vista was called the strongest swordsman of the WBP despite WB wielding a long sword. Does this mean that being a swordsman is about your connection to your sword instead of simply swinging around a sword as a means to an end? :zorothink:

because oda sucks only luffy is allowed talk about his dream and have rivals who also want to achieve that

when is the last time you heard about nami’s dream?

Oddly enough, Vista was called the strongest swordsman of the WBP despite WB wielding a long sword. Does this mean that being a swordsman is about your connection to your sword instead of simply swinging around a sword as a means to an end? :zorothink:
WB probably didnt want to be known as the best swordsman since the title is degrading and embrassing. Hes too versatile to be known as a mere swordsman.

Im sorry but when did you ever qualify to know what the World of OP believes ? Im sorry but I never knew that the OP World was a living breathing character. Capabale of making their own thoughts and decisions. How can the world that is seperated into tiny little islands...dictate that Posthawk is the WSS.

Only thing connecting the OP islands...is the newspapers. And who controls the newspapers.....the WG.

You think Mihawk became WSS....because random fodder who have never seen him fight....called him it. It obviously would first be reported by the news, and then be manipulated for whatever agenda the WG wants.

Bro sorry to break it to you. But do you remember how Luffy became the 5th Yonko ?....You do ? Good...

Thats how Mihawk became WSS

Okay so your news paper example is utter nonsense anyways because you don't even know know, quite frankly neither do I, how news channels in One Piece work and how much control World Government has.

But Big News Morgan doesn't work for World Government lmao, he runs his private News Company. But Luffy's 5th Yonko title is interesting because in the very chapter Morgan called him that, there were people with legitimacy denying Luffy's existence as a 5th Yonkou.

When I say whole World I mean people of the World, its unanimous approval that Mihawk is Strongest Swordsman in the World, from random Marine Fodders calling Mihawk's attacks "World's Strongest Sword Slash" to Boss of your Idol Zeff acknowledging Mihawk as WSS.

Everywhere Mihawk goes, he is known as WSS, Shanks who used to compete with Mihawk has not shown denying Mihawk's title. Vista has not shown denying Mihawk's title as a matter of fact his Vivre Card said Vista knows Mihawk is the strongest. And above all else the Narrator knows Mihawk is WSS, that's what Mihawk was introduced as. Does Luffy even have 5th Emperor introduction box?

Does it mean its impossible for there to be a stronger swordsman that isn't as public as Mihawk? No its possible but until we find that out, Mihawk gets the benefit of the doubt.

I mean Oda has spent a lot of stock in Zoro, more than he has in anyone besides Luffy, he has created swordsmanship in One Piece as a universe of its own with introducing 12 supreme grade blades, style of swordsmanship, style of swords, CoA connection to swordsmanship, names of swords, swords with special properties, country with swordsmanship and everything related to swordsmanship is related to Zoro.

Unless Oda is a retarded with ridiculous amount of free time at his hand, he isn't gonna have the second most important character in the series pursue a fake title lmao.

Bisento counts as a long sword
No there are different definitions of bisento.
You can't do traditional swordsmanship with Bisento lmao, it is used as more of a spear, stabbing weapon.

Also even beyond that just having a sword doesn't make you a swordsman, being a skilled swordsman makes you a swordsman.
What is Whitebeard's legacy as a swordsman?

Does he not have a devil fruit, can he perform flying slashes like Roger and Big Mom can?
Does he have all the portrayal of a swordsman that Shanks has?
Is he introduced as a swordsman like Fujitora is?

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
It's a long sword. And supreme grade one at that. The stuff that Tashigi aims to collect.
Explanation of Meito and how it relates to the WSS title:

Chapter 912 Page 7 Hitetsu explains: 世界に数ある刀(剣:槍等)の中で名工達の作った武器をこう呼ぶ, "The weapons made by swordsmiths around the world are called "swords" or "spears/blades".
"武器" means weapons,
"剣" means sword,
"槍" means spears/lances/blades.
The famed swords "業物" are 83 weapons "武器" which encompass {swords "剣", spears/lances/blades "槍", etc...} which overall refer to sharp blades/objects.

Whitebeard owns a sharp bladed weapon "武器", but the weapon he owns isn't a sword "剣" but instead is a lance/spear "槍", so whitebeard isn't a traditional swordsman, yet his blade can be classified as a sword in the One Piece ‘Meito’ definition. “Meito” = ‘Named Sword’ or ‘Famous Sword’

Mihawk's title uses the word sword "剣" (世界最強の剣士, "World's strongest swordsman") and not the word for lance/spear "槍" but as per the Meito definition his title can encompasses swords as well as named weapons that aren’t specified as blade or sword, they are one in the same. Charlotte LinLin uses a sword "剣" homie called Napoleon, she is a swordsman. Shanks uses a sword “剣” called Gryphon, he is a swordsman. Fujitora uses a sword “剣” in combination with his Gravity DF powers and is considered a swordsman in Oda’s words in the character section preceding each official volume. Mihawk by default is over all three of these characters in strength.

Wb uses a bisento not a sword

The kanji for mihawks title isnt the same as what wbs weapon is classified as.

So no wb doesnt have a sword and isnt a swordsman.

Ah, so this is about power scaling. I was scratching my head at first. I believe WSS gets a perfectly reasonable amount of importance by the fanbase. Just like how Kaido and WB probably didn't go around the world with the explicit purpose of becoming WSC or WSM, I doubt Mihawk thirsted after getting a title. Would you argue against the importance of the other titles? We don't know the circumstances under how these titles were coined and anointed. Zoro is a special case where he's actively seeking this title due to his background and promise. Mihawk on the other hand went out seeking strong opponents. These aren't completely unrelated, but they are distinctly different. It would be more surprising if there were other people out there looking to specifically become the WSS, WSM, or WSC with strong intention without a good motive. It's more likely that the characters in question built a reputation worthy of such titles over time.

This series is primarily about the One Piece, Luffy's journey to become the PK, and the ultimate "change" with regards to the world government that will come about. I don't think it's really appropriate to introduce a character with the sole purpose of being a rival for Zoro's dream. Or a dream for WSM or WSC for that matter. Swordsman are always going to be involved in other narratives and their bid for strength comes as a side effect of that. Even Zoro, at this point, would be willing to throw away his dream for Luffy's.

Probably because Oda hasn't had the time to focus on that. It doesn't matter that much because at the end of the day, Zoro still has to surpass and beat other swordsmen to achieve his dream, so them wanting to be WSS or not doesn't make any difference.

Last edited:
Probably because Oda hasn't the time to focus on that. It doesn't matter that much because at the end of the day, Zoro still has to surpass and beat other swordsmen to achieve his dream, so them wanting to be WSS or not doesn't make any difference.
I def agree, There's 5 years left, there wont be too much focus on that,

It's swung like a sword and cuts like a sword then it's a sword. Otherwise Mihawk is carrying a machete :suresure:
Its not swung like a sword, traditionally that weapon is used as a spear.

Irrelevant though considering carrying a sword doesn't make you a swordsman, being skilled with sword does.

What is Whitebeards legacy as a swordsman? Last I checked, in the most dire of situation, he was a brawler