Character Discussion Does Zoro's progress make sense?

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
EoS Zoro will surpass Oden.

Rayleigh and Scopper > Oden, of course Zoro will surpass him.

Maybe Zoro will show that he is more skilled than Oden this arc.

Oden seems to have a rather straightforward fighting style and a bit of a brutish approach to swordsmanship. Maybe Zoro's time with Mihawk will pay off in that regard and will be the difference maker in his relationship with his sword and what allows him to create a black blade when characters like Rayleigh, Shanks or Oden did not.
Given Oda's portrayal I bet Zoro is already stronger than Oden, albeit barely.

We know how powerful the parallel with Oden is. There are just too many similarities Zoro got with Oden in this arc... and since for all we know Kaido is quite stronger than Young Kaido, he might very well be stronger than Oden right now.

Worst case I see for now is Post Wano Zoro >~ Oden.

Given Oda's portrayal I bet Zoro is already stronger than Oden, albeit barely.

We know how powerful the parallel with Oden is. There are just too many similarities Zoro got with Oden in this arc... and since for all we know Kaido is quite stronger than Young Kaido, he might very well be stronger than Oden right now.

Worst case I see for now is Post Wano Zoro >~ Oden.
That would only work out if Oden is YC1 level.

Which is not impossible, but i would not go assuming that's the case until it's made clear that Kaido has improved significantly in the past 20 years.

Luffy is Luffy
Kid is his captain
Law was a warlord and defeated Vergo and Trebol
Capone was able to tank some punches from BM
Urouge defeated a YC4
Drake is a Sword Captain, defeated a Number with one blow and was slowly dominating against Apoo

This leaves out Apoo, Hawkins and Killer, casually the ones who fought with Zoro.
:perocry:
But you are right, It would be weird if these two supernova captains became weaker than Killer during the TS but it's still a possibility. And Bonney might be weaker too.
Let's say Killer is in the Top 3 of the weakest male supernova. On the other hand Kamazo, nerfed Killer, is certainly below them. It would be absurd if he was stronger than them without his weapons, his CoA and part of his mind.

Urouge wasn't using his DF against Killer before someone tries to use that clash as a feat to push Killer near Snack:kayneshrug:

Right after a scythe passed through his chest, sure:emohiyo:
Hunger or food poisoning might have concurred, but they were not the reason because he fainted

A pity Apoo hasn't even used his DF against Zoro :josad:
How is beating a Number mean anything when Apoo leads these guys around? Drake being sword captain literally mean noting to his strength. Drake didn't do anything to Apoo. Never touched him. Defeating a number isn't that impressive. Franky who is the 5th strongest SH neg diff one.
Apoo has used his DF on Zoro and he fine. Luffy got KO tho

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
the narrative also set up zoro vs orochi
It really didn't. The big take away from Zoro attacking Orochi is that Zoro developed a bond with Yasu and Wano in general. Now he's fighting on their behalf to liberate the country, which is actually ruled by Kaido. Something Oden and Shinobu recognized.

they don't get a free pass, they didn't slay kaidou
Where did I say Zoro will slay Kaido? Please don't make assumptions.

and still have decades of swordmanship training under their belt.
Zoro has a decade+ of experience, two of which was training under the absolute best swordsman. And considering he's part of the main cast and aims to be WSS, it makes sense he'd be more exceptional than most swordsman.

zoro rounding up the samurai of wano, look how that went.
Zoro made a claim and nothing more. There's a lot more going for Zoro fighting Kaido than merely a claim.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I would not say anyone in Wano is ready for a Yonko. We're not getting anyone having a fair go at Kaido 1 vs 1 in this arc.
Yes I still believe that Zoro can't face Kaido in a 1 on 1, but I do believe that 2 Zoros are defeating 1 Kaido finally.

In the past, years ago, I would rather believe that 2 Zoros were defeating a Marco at best.

To be fair, Oden's only feat is getting swated away by Roger before Roger equally clashing with Whitebeard.

So he was definitely out of those two's league.

How strong Kaido was 20 years ago we don't know, that remains to be established.
Oden was wanked too much to be just a yc1 and kaido 20 years ago shouldn't be that much weaker than he is no

Oden's portrayal puts him clearly above à yc1

Vergo senpai gives Pica the kid Law treatment.

Pica used to have a manly voice until he shit talked Vergo and got his balls kicked in :usoprice:
honestly they showed same level of CoA and in top of that pica had strong DF and vergo could use some Rokushiki technique i think pica was slightly stronger than vergo but in 1v1 pica would win mid diff (because of match up)