General & Others Does Tite Kubo's hate for Oda and One Piece affect your enjoyment of either series?

Akai2

πŸ†‰πŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…Ύ πŸ†ƒπŸ…ΎπŸ…Ύ πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒπŸ†πŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…Ί!
β€Ž
Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to start drama between fans of either series. It's simply a pseudo social experiment as I'll explain later. So if it's used a platform for fans of either series to fight, I hope the mods/admin close it.

Back in Nov 2017 Tite Kubo said in a radio interview with J-Cast that he has been hating Oda ever since his debut manga (Ultra Unholy Hearted Machine) was defeated by Romance Dawn in readers' popularity poll in Jump Summer Special 1996.

It was thought to be said in a joking manner, but Greg Werner who works for V-Jump, Shueisha and Toei as the official OP columnist, said it wasn't and that he still feels that way. He added that he himself witnessed Kubo's vitriol towards Oda and One Piece personally.

He refused to share the details publicly, but said he revealed as much since Kubo was the one to make his feelings public. He also said that he heard about why the hatred started and it's an immature reason reason. I also heard some rumors on Jump forums about Kubo saying comments at Jump gatherings towards OP/Oda and how its popularity is undeserved, etc...

I saw some extreme Bleach and OP fans back at the time that did a 180 turn on the other series because of this. I even remember this one Bleach Youtuber that went on rants about boycotting Jump :suresure:

I'm sure this was discussed at the time, so I don't want to bring up dead topics, I was just wondering how does animosity or friendship between authors affect your enjoyment of a series? What would you think if one of your favorite mangaka said something similar about manga/author you liked was? Would it make you re-evaluate how you enjoy content from either series?

Personally, if an author I respect recommends a series I'll check it out. But that is where it stops, I never force myself to like a series one of my favorite authors likes and vice versa.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
I find it genuinely interesting. It seems entirely one sided, funnily enough like most of Ichigo's rivals after he's beaten them one time. I don't think Kubo's feelings on Oda or One Piece really effect mine. I enjoy both manga for different reasons.

This does have me wondering, how did Oda respond to Kishimoto when his series ended? I'm aware of the cover story but did he use San or Sensei for him?

Akai2

β€Ž
I find it genuinely interesting. It seems entirely one sided, funnily enough like most of Ichigo's rivals after he's beaten them one time. I don't think Kubo's feelings on Oda or One Piece really effect mine. I enjoy both manga for different reasons.

This does have me wondering, how did Oda respond to Kishimoto when his series ended? I'm aware of the cover story but did he use San or Sensei for him?
I swear I don't want this to be an anti-Kubo thread (I like Kubo and enjoyed a lot of Bleach), but many people that have personally met him said he isn't very courteous to his colleagues and editors. I've been seeing rumors about that on Japanese Jump forums for more than 10 years.

Moving on from that, yes the hidden message that Oda left on the cover page was a thank you to Kishimoto. Kishi also reciprocated with the Strawhats' Jolly Roger which was a nice touch.

He actually called him Kishimoto-san in his thank you message.

I never actually read Bleach, people back then said that the first arcs were good but after them the quality dropped yet I remember Kubo, aside from the mangaka of one of the holy 3 back in the times, for the memes: the hearth (best background meme for Kubo) kills me every time plus his edgy personality generated other good ones too. Also I knew there was not good blood between Oda and Kubo (maybe Kubo and Kishi too?) since when Naruto was about to end Oda made an homage to Kishi (cover of OP, or was it a title page?, with Luffy, Nami etc dressed like ninjas in Naruto) which was returned by Kishi soon after. Yet there was nothing on the sort by or for Kubo lol

Yet about the topic even if it was a mangaka who made a manga I liked I don't think it would affect me, I mean I'm the one to choose what I like and what I like not, if the hater (be it the best mangaka or dumbest of the readers) has some good reasons to put on the table for not liking a serie I'm willing to listen to them but if it is just because of petty reasons then well.. that defines more than anything the one who is making the criticism more than the one criticised. Then of course they are direct competitors still Kubo imo is too edgy for doing something you would expect from a young boy not a mature(?) mangaka. At least put up the appearances and Oda, wisely, didn't replied on the same level (or did he?).

Akai2

β€Ž
Years ago Bleach > One Piece, Kubo let success get to his head & he fucked up. God watches & He punishes.
This comment made me legit laugh out loud :gokulaugh:
He's entitled to not like it, I mean, fans do criticize chapters/arcs etc
I agree but the thing I'm trying to understand is if it's different coming from a mangaka you respect vs from a random fan.

Last edited:
I saw some extreme Bleach and OP fans back at the time that did a 180 turn on the other series because of this. I even remember this one Bleach Youtuber that went on rants about boycotting Jump :suresure:
IMO people like this youtuber you are mentioning need to get their priorities straight.

I enjoyed bleach, even if it was a meme fest, and kubo apparently hating oda/one piece doesnt change his series in any way, just like michael jackson presumably being a pedo doesnt undermine his musical talent and skill.

Last edited:

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
β€Ž
I really dont care if someone hates Oda for whatever he has done (like selling more Manga, wtf...). He can has his opinion and it doesnt bother me for One Piece, but it would bother me for the Mangas of Kubo, because this hating and bad talking gives me an idea about the Person who is talking like that about some other and that would inflict the work of this Person for me.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
β€Ž
Kubo himself said he never cared about writing a story and just wanted to draw cool stuff. He never wanted Bleach to go for so long but his editors pushed it and forced him to make changes(something Kubo has publicly shunned). Kubo also openly stated that it's not great working for SJ and doesnt like his editors. This detachment showed in his manga later on with the increase in plotholes and decrease in detail+quality.

Not trying to be rude but Kubo is just being bitter and should've put more effort into his series. Just drawing cool stuff isnt enough most of the time.

H

Homelander

Well if people ever read kubo's interview he is known troll . I am pretty sure he has great respect for oda . We dont know in what context he said it .

Kubo and Oda were colleagues from same place so i hardly think they shared dislike . I wont take it seriously because most podcast interview which are mostly in japanese and fans twist it in their terms and make it look like "oh kubo hates oda !!"

I have read lot of kubo's interview he jokes arund and trolls about his cosplay of mayuri (kinda weird ya he is one ).
Post automatically merged:

Kubo himself said he never cared about writing a story and just wanted to draw cool stuff. He never wanted Bleach to go for so long but his editors pushed it and forced him to make changes(something Kubo has publicly shunned). Kubo also openly stated that it's not great working for SJ and doesnt like his editors. This detachment showed in his manga later on with the increase in plotholes and decrease in detail+quality.

Not trying to be rude but Kubo is just being bitter and should've put more effort into his series. Just drawing cool stuff isnt enough most of the time.
Well i agree to some fact kubo is excellent artist but not a good story teller but there is a fact he was seriously ill and planned to en last war arc early .

If he had hated Shounen jump they probably wont have added his one shot in their jump . I would say he was seriously ill .

You can check his interviews here : https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/09/02/bleach-creator-health-problems-series-ending/

Debunking the theory kubo hates oda : https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/7dqaym
Twitter link 1 :
Twitter link 2 :

Last edited by a moderator:

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
β€Ž
Well if people ever read kubo's interview he is known troll . I am pretty sure he has great respect for oda . We dont know in what context he said it .

Kubo and Oda were colleagues from same place so i hardly think they shared dislike . I wont take it seriously because most podcast interview which are mostly in japanese and fans twist it in their terms and make it look like "oh kubo hates oda !!"

I have read lot of kubo's interview he jokes arund and trolls about his cosplay of mayuri (kinda weird ya he is one ).
I guess you are right. It seems a bit like @TheAncientCenturion and me. Officially he tries to bully around, but honestly, he adores me. :goyea: