General & Others One Piece story has become a consumer product rather than an actual story.

The more I read One Piece, the more evident that it isn't a story anymore instead it has become a consumer product where its sole purpose is to generate as much revenue as possible. Where the story lines decisions cater to marketing instead of actual story telling. This is obviously hard to prove but the symptoms of this has become more and more apparent post time skip after Fishman Island.

The reasons for this are:

1. The most obvious one is post time skip art of women. No other reason to draw bigger boobs than solely to attract as much fan service fans as possible. This is obviously a marketing decision.
2. Pacing has literally become worse and worse with each passing arc where three of the longest arcs in One Piece happened in the past three arcs: Dressrosa, WCI and Wano. For context, Sabody Arch, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marine Ford, Ace/Luffy flashback COMBINED took less chapters and time than Wano alone.
3. The obsession of Luffy. Yes, Oda pretime skip stroked off to Luffy however it doesn't come close to post time skip where Oda continues to hurt other characters development in order to make Luffy look good which didn't occur pretime skip. This huge shift, of focusing more and more on Luffy I think was a marketing decision instead of a story decision.
4. New mysteries and new characters. Even though there are literally hundreds of unanswered mystery subplots, Oda continues to add more and more mysteries without addressing any of the past unanswered mysteries. On top of that, Oda continues to add more and more characters to the already bloated cast of characters for no reason: Nika, Rock Pirates, Weevil and much more. Why introduce these new subplots for? Is it because the actual One Piece story has already maxed out and Oda needs to continue to add new story lines in order to extend the series as long as possible? I believe so.
5. The SH have no clear objective anymore in the story where Oda continues to have them just run around not doing anything of relevance which begs the question why are the arcs getting longer and longer when the main cast are usually shafted and aren't doing anything relevant other than fighting fodder.
6. The shift to power level story lines which is very evident in Wano where instead of getting relevant information of the Void Century, why the Marines are scared of Wano, why Wano is closed off, etc we instead get detailed chapters of useless power level discussions.
7. Promoting movies in your manga after a one month break.
8. Admitting Chopper is a mascot.

There are many other reasons why One Piece isn't a story anymore, but these are the biggest ones for me.

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I defo believe Wano has proven severely inorganic from a fluidity perspective and independently from how long the arc is. A long arc is fine but adding unnecessary content is not.

Regardless at least this arc didn't just focus on Luffy so far despite he still played a Big Chunk.

Oda must be a marketing genius. He should be hired by top tech companies as a COO & PR guy, I mean he can literally make a decrease in revenues. Seeing how much the sales droped in OP LMAO

The SH have no clear objective anymore in the story where Oda continues to have them just run around not doing anything of relevance which begs the question why are the arcs getting longer and longer when the main cast are usually shafted and aren't doing anything relevant other than fighting fodder.“

Declaring LLuffy as PK with the cringeworthiest sentence, that Loda ever Introduced, isn‘t a objective? COME ON „irony off“

Pre-skip = 23 arcs

Post-skip = 8 if you include the whopping 4 chapters of the Revelry.

What's the difference between 600 chapters spread across 23 arcs, and 400 chapters spread across 8 arcs?

If your argument is that you prefer the shorter arcs, so Oda could cram more Islands into the mix, then fine.

But don't act like making the arcs longer is supposed to somehow be a marketing ploy or a means to make more money, when preskip still beats out post skip by almost 200 chapters, and we are moving into endgame. Unless you honestly think Oda's grand scheme here is to do another 15 arcs at 70-100 chapters a piece. :ronalugh:

T

Tyronejenkins

Oda must be a marketing genius. He should be hired by top tech companies as a COO & PR guy, I mean he can literally make a decrease in revenues. Seeing how much the sales droped in OP LMAO

The SH have no clear objective anymore in the story where Oda continues to have them just run around not doing anything of relevance which begs the question why are the arcs getting longer and longer when the main cast are usually shafted and aren't doing anything relevant other than fighting fodder.“

Declaring LLuffy as PK with the cringeworthiest sentence, that Loda ever Introduced, isn‘t a objective? COME ON „irony off“
Why even read the manga at this point? Better to save your time and energy and move on to reading other mangas that better suit your taste.

Replace 'one piece' with any other big title.
Since when has it been any different?
Naruto, Tokyo Ghoul, AOT where all huge manga industries that started after One Piece and FINISHED before One Piece and none of them suffered from the detailed list I provided in my post. Did Naruto have bigger boobs all of a sudden? Did Tokyo Ghoul all of a sudden have longer arcs in :Re? Did AOT all of a sudden created new mysteries during it's end game? This does NOT relate to other big titles. One Piece is the sole manga.

I don't mind arguing with fan boys, however I do mind arguing with irrational, delusional fanboys who don't argue in good faith. What you are claiming has absolutely nothing to do with my post nor did I say what you claimed I said. It's okay to like One Piece, but at least argue in good faith.
So then help me understand what you are implying here, because you bitching about the pacing seems to correlate to arc length.

It's even in your OP. "Pacing is getting worse. Three of the longest arcs. Wano is longer than X,Y,Z."

I was simply pointing out that we are getting roughly the same amount of content as we got since preskip, but the differences is, it's spread out through fewer arcs. What does the "pacing is getting worse" have to do with anything, other than arc length?

Last edited:
The more I read One Piece, the more evident that it isn't a story anymore instead it has become a consumer product where its sole purpose is to generate as much revenue as possible. Where the story lines decisions cater to marketing instead of actual story telling. This is obviously hard to prove but the symptoms of this has become more and more apparent post time skip after Fishman Island.

The reasons for this are:

1. The most obvious one is post time skip art of women. No other reason to draw bigger boobs than solely to attract as much fan service fans as possible. This is obviously a marketing decision.
2. Pacing has literally become worse and worse with each passing arc where three of the longest arcs in One Piece happened in the past three arcs: Dressrosa, WCI and Wano. For context, Sabody Arch, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marine Ford, Ace/Luffy flashback COMBINED took less chapters and time than Wano alone.
3. The obsession of Luffy. Yes, Oda pretime skip stroked off to Luffy however it doesn't come close to post time skip where Oda continues to hurt other characters development in order to make Luffy look good which didn't occur pretime skip. This huge shift, of focusing more and more on Luffy I think was a marketing decision instead of a story decision.
4. New mysteries and new characters. Even though there are literally hundreds of unanswered mystery subplots, Oda continues to add more and more mysteries without addressing any of the past unanswered mysteries. On top of that, Oda continues to add more and more characters to the already bloated cast of characters for no reason: Nika, Rock Pirates, Weevil and much more. Why introduce these new subplots for? Is it because the actual One Piece story has already maxed out and Oda needs to continue to add new story lines in order to extend the series as long as possible? I believe so.
5. The SH have no clear objective anymore in the story where Oda continues to have them just run around not doing anything of relevance which begs the question why are the arcs getting longer and longer when the main cast are usually shafted and aren't doing anything relevant other than fighting fodder.
6. The shift to power level story lines which is very evident in Wano where instead of getting relevant information of the Void Century, why the Marines are scared of Wano, why Wano is closed off, etc we instead get detailed chapters of useless power level discussions.

There are many other reasons why One Piece isn't a story anymore, but these are the biggest ones for me.
:risicheck:

So then help me understand what you are implying here, because you bitching about the pacing correlates to arc length.

It's even in your OP. "Pacing is getting worse. Three of the longest arcs. Wano is longer than X,Y,Z."
I listed six reasons. I am assuming you are referring to my number 2 reason which discusses the bloated pacing of arcs. My problem isn't that I want shorter arcs. Instead I provided examples of unnecessary bloating of arcs in order to extend the series as long as possible. Like the example I gave, Sabody Arch, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, MArine Ford and Ace/Luffy flashback took LESS chapters than Wano alone. Sabody provided a huge info dump about Celestial Dragons, Slaves, Supernovas, and the One Piece via Rayleigh all in under 25 chapters. Amazon Lily served as a prelude arc in order to save Ace and lasted only 10 chapters, Impel Down provided the the moving parts of a new world order where Black Beard cemented his crew, reintroduced Croc, introduced Jinbei, and more in under 25 chapters, Marine Ford speaks for itself that lasted only 30 chapters. These arcs weren't bloated and provided info dumps that was necessary for the plot. Now compare those info dump arcs to Wano which provided ZERO info dump other than providing the name of "laughtel". Oden's flashback was just a regurgitation of things we already knew.

My reasonings are clear, i.e. unnecessary filler content are being added to arcs in order to bloat them since Oda has already maxed out the story of One Piece so he continues to add unnecessary shenanigans.

Welcome to the 21century, every piece of creative production is now part of a cultural industry that want just profit, not to express artistic valuel or something like this, if u cant get over It dont consume.

That isn’t true. There are plenty of creative production that aren’t just writing for the profit. Recent example is AOT. Manga sales were still through the roof but yet the author decided to end it.

AoT isnt cultural industry??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

they dont make millions selling merchandising or any kind of useless junk to people just for profit like any other media piece

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Huh? Their objectives haven't changed. They want to fulfill their dreams.