Questions & Mysteries Does Oda rely too much on mysteries to keep the fans interested?

The whole silhouette strategy and "That man" being used again and again too. Just drop the info a bit more and flesh out the characters more into in depth complex characters like pre timeskip had.

I feel those strategies get exponentially lamer due to the fact we are 1,000 chapters in & however many years you've been following it. I'm not "tuning in next week, same Pirate Place, same Pirate Channel" because Oda made a silhouette of Kaido's hybrid form, I'm doing it because I enjoy the series and I want to read it all. I also doubt new readers are going "whaaaa!? My issue of Shonen Jump didn't show me what that dragon turned into, guess I better buy the issue 5 weeks from now when Oda returns to that group of characters and we see the reveal!!!111!!1".

At this rate, half the people who started watching One Piece since it's conception will be dead before it ends
I give the series likely another 6-8 years before its completition at least for what it concerns this specific manga called "One Piece", then we shall see if a spin-off is portrayed too eventually. Regardless there have been so many speculations around as Oda's collaborators altered their stances so many times these numbers don't count much.

I mean it's cool and all how much of an interesting world he has created that's filled with mysteries and conspiracies. But i'm afraid that Oda and his editors might be simply playing carrot-and-stick with the fans to keep them interested in the story. We have gotten so very little info and answers and we're over 1020 chapters now. When will Oda be ready to finally satisfy our curiosity and reveal what's been hidden all along?

What makes me worried is how boring of a character Toki is. She's from the void century and she's still somehow one of the most bland characters introduced in Wano. I really hope the wait has been worth it and we haven't gotten deceived by one of the simplest marketing tricks
I mean Toki is joke and another clown in Wano circus. The face of someone who saw Worlds End should be like that was showed in D.GrayMan:

Post automatically merged:

And yes Odais baiting his fans...and I got feeling that we will be dissapointed in whole revelation in the end. Changed name from Raftel to Laugh tale just saying

Last edited:
why dont read the manga charaters and plot? what I mean I read one piece for the straw hats adventures and the crazy stuff they get into the fanding about the ansewers of the world mysteries is plus, so maybe dont read one piece for the mysteries and you'll maybe happier.

Do a thread to discuss one of the mysteries of One Piece, and it MIGHT garner 2-3 pages of discussion.

Do a thread that Luffys/Zoros/Sanjis/Akainus/Kaidos etc.. dick is the biggest and you get 1000 pages of discussion.

Yeah, the whole mystery aspect plays a role, but not nearly as big as power levels, and people who stick around to try and prove their fav is the strongest.

I mean it's cool and all how much of an interesting world he has created that's filled with mysteries and conspiracies. But i'm afraid that Oda and his editors might be simply playing carrot-and-stick with the fans to keep them interested in the story. We have gotten so very little info and answers and we're over 1020 chapters now. When will Oda be ready to finally satisfy our curiosity and reveal what's been hidden all along?

What makes me worried is how boring of a character Toki is. She's from the void century and she's still somehow one of the most bland characters introduced in Wano. I really hope the wait has been worth it and we haven't gotten deceived by one of the simplest marketing tricks
Mysteries are cool as long as you open the mystery box and the answer is good enough. Looking at you JJ Abrams.
What killed Naruto is that pretty much every major loose ends were already resolved and the best villains were already dead before the last battle.

Usually, Oda gives a detailed explanation on how a DF works when a character is introduced. However, Toki is an exception which is strange. Not to mention the silhouette who nursed the Scabbard and the person who saved the Scabbards. The Toki Toki fruit is literally the perfect getaway tool and you can fake your death with maximum efficiency.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Fun fact.
If Oda decides to showcase Toki more later on, people will "forgive him" and say shit like "see? Oda had it all figured out".

But all I'll think is:
Oda thought it was more important to show Toki as a semen deposit bank for Oden, than it was to show the effects that she actually has on the big picture.

A preemptive "fuck you, Oda" when (and IF) he finally decides to explore Toki's character.
Post automatically merged:

I would still love to know what happened to Gaimon and Sarfunkel.
They formed a band. Slightly changed their names, and came to the real world.

The very existance of this thread prove how genius Oda's constant mystery introductions is. Mysteries give birth to discussion and theories wich makes the ride a hell of a lot of fun
I think those mysteries are great. Everything behind OPs world and the mystery that goes with it is still exciting imo.

I think what the OP really is talking about is like the silhouette from 1004, which has yet to be explained and it's been 25 chapters (more than half a year...), or teasing Yamato's powers only showing it 25 chapters later lol. Apoo hasn't been seen in 20+ chapters, why? What is the purpose that Oda has for keeping him hidden? 4 Numbers still not seen? What even is Orochi's powers? The fuck is he gonna do now anyway lol?

Things like that, a lot of it is a literally technique (imo, not a great one) that tries to keep readers engaged. It works on rereads, but long spans of time it actually blows

I think those mysteries are great. Everything behind OPs world and the mystery that goes with it is still exciting imo.

I think what the OP really is talking about is like the silhouette from 1004, which has yet to be explained and it's been 25 chapters (more than half a year...), or teasing Yamato's powers only showing it 25 chapters later lol. Apoo hasn't been seen in 20+ chapters, why? What is the purpose that Oda has for keeping him hidden? 4 Numbers still not seen? What even is Orochi's powers? The fuck is he gonna do now anyway lol?

Things like that, a lot of it is a literally technique (imo, not a great one) that tries to keep readers engaged. It works on rereads, but long spans of time it actually blows
To me there's a difference in certain things. For all of these things I have an image in my head for what's to come, and some of them are definitely worth waiting for dozens of chapters. Like that silhouette in 1004, no matter if it's Hiyori or Toki, is something I'd imagine would be hype for me. The remaining Numbers on the other hand aren't something I expect to be that game changing, so it is more frustrating to see them not play a role until this late in the arc.

But this many plots still not being finished also gives the potential for surprises, it all just depends on the payoff.