Character Discussion Does G5/Looney Tunes ruin this manga ?

Is G5/Looney Tunes good or bad for this manga

• Good

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 64.0%

• Total voters
I kind of like G5 from a narrative standpoint, but I do think that sometimes Oda goes overboard with the faces etc. Good and creative moveset though, people saying otherwise are stupid. I'd say Oda can turn G5 into something even better or just fumble it and ruin the series forever. Really depends how things go from now. I'd like to add that Luffy still doesn't know anything about his awakening so there might be a chance of great characterization there bla bla bla just keep reading

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
I honestly believe egghead is hands down the best arc of TS, and i wouls even say is top 5 in One Piece, depending on ending. And this with 0 stakes involved for the crew as they are just spectators of someone else's show.

You guys need to realise that when you say "nobody likes it" you sound quite silly. And the lady comment is just as silly. Luffy ate crocodile and died for it, next time he came as a baloon filled with water. Volume 22.
People really think this place is where the majority of one piece fans are and everyone has the same opinions as here

Newsflash, dramatically more people like gear 5 than dislike it. When clips of the anime episode came out there were tweets that were getting tens of thousands of likes that basically read "wait so in one piece luffy makes a fool out stereotypically serious villains? I need to start watching this!"

its almost like people like unique things and not when all fucking shonen are the same exact thing. christ man

I love how hardcore Luffy and Oda defenders keep pretending like Gear 5 brought the fun into OP and is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sry but Luffy's fights had always ridiculous moments that never really bothered anyone, in fact, nearly all of em were hilarious used during an appropriate time and Oda knew when to get back to business again.

This did not ruin Luffy vs Crocodile

This did not ruin Luffy vs Enel

This did not ruin Luffy vs Lucci

This did not ruin Luffy vs Katakuri

Don't pretend like Nika made OP fights fun, that couldn't be further from the truth. If you like the fact that Nika makes people uncomfortable and butthurt, good, that's another thing.

Nobody asked for Luffy to become an edgelord badass demon. In hindsight this guy was really cool. You know Luffy, not sun god Nika or Joyboy.

When was the last time I've even seen Luffy
Good post. I think another thing that makes those funny moments so memorable is the fact that they were just that. Moments. They were isolated scenes that brought a little levity into the fights but didn't permanently undermine them. The fact that Luffy himself treated these insane moments with a straight face was part of what made them so humorous to begin with. He was dead serious about using Arlong's teeth against him, about biting Crocodile, about Water Luffy mode, about countering Enel's CoO with thoughtlessness and about eating Kuri's mochi. This wasn't Luffy trying to be funny, this was Luffy being inadvertently funny to us readers simply by being Luffy.

Gear 5 by comparison is Luffy actively trying to be funny, all the time, non-stop. Whereas before, a fight would have joke moments, now the whole fight is one long joke. It just isn't the same. It is overdone.

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
Isn't that the whole point of G5?
It is. The villains demand to be taken seriously with their actions and demeanor, but Luffy who awakened the power to do whatever he wants goes "lol. lmao even." and clowns on them. The juxtaposition between the seriousness of the bad guys and the levity of Luffy after attaining this power is the point.

It's fine to not like it, but it's not a mistake that Oda is making, it's by design.

Gear5 is the culmination of Oda's obsession "subverting expectations" , also he solved the problem of One Piece having too many characters by Ignoring almost all of them.
He said himself that all he cares about is having fun while he is drawing , of course G5 is the perfect excuse to just say fuck it now i can draw anything i like lol.

The idea is similar to Sanji's character development post TS , let's take a character quirk and amplify it to the max ( the nosebleeds ), in Luffy's case is being goofy.

It's not random that One Piece volume sales have been declining since the post TS , Oda cares less and less and as a consequence One Piece is worse and worse , Gear5 and Luffy vs Kaido overall is the culmination of the decline.

Fuck the Nika bullshit , it's not fun , no one likes it , those that say they like it dont understand what kind of emotions a narrative climax between 2 Fighters is supposed to invoke.

Try to substitue every One Piece fight with the Nika bullshit and One Piece would have stopped at volume 20 at best
This. It just feels like Oda doesnt like this manga or cares. Previous arcs he used to focus on the arc settings and side characters to write things he was more interested in that were different, but now hes completely changing core characters into stuff like Power Rangers and Looney Tunes. Luffy and Sanji have taken the brunt of Oda's boredom with OP. Zoro has survived....for now.

This. It just feels like Oda doesnt like this manga or cares. Previous arcs he used to focus on the arc settings and side characters to write things he was more interested in that were different, but now hes completely changing core characters into stuff like Power Rangers and Looney Tunes. Luffy and Sanji have taken the brunt of Oda's boredom with OP. Zoro has survived....for now.
Lol.
Lmao even.
Sanji is the only SHs with an arc and some growth in the TS.
Zoro just died with no explanation in Wano, where he also had no arcs. But you consider that good for him.
Clasdic.

I believe it is. I think adding G5 was levity for Oda as a writer and for his story. The man should enjoy and have fun with his work., especially when going down to the wire. You can't please everybody and it is foolish to try.
He is a shitty writer because he has been making a lot of changes based on readers reaction to story rather than following the actual idea the story..... If this was a bulk novel or not a popular weekly series which could be axed or not something exposed to readers the story would be different... Of course G5 wouldn't exist too which is apparent from his message on it.

Oda already knows he messed up and is now trying to make it work by making it seem a big deal and giving majority screen Time to nika.

Though I would sau no one really cares about the condition of series enough anymore probably before introduction of G5 too so the stupidity bof it's use is a meme for them.... and also for oda it's a meme..
Do you all really believe that if Luffy's awakening had been edgier and Nika hadn't existed, Oda would not have focused more on Luffy?
Because I don't believe that would be the case. I still think the majority of story/focus would been on edgier overpowered Luffy.
Post automatically merged:

He is a shitty writer because he has been making a lot of changes based on readers reaction to story rather than following the actual idea the story..... If this was a bulk novel or not a popular weekly series which could be axed or not something exposed to readers the story would be different... Of course G5 wouldn't exist too which is apparent from his message on it.
What are examples of changes are based on readers' reactions? I am just curious.