Character Discussion How important is strength when it comes to picking Favorite Characters?

Personally, How important is it for your Favorite character to be strong?

• Total voters

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I think strength is often important in shonen when we are picking our fav characters

We want cool battles, cool feats, lines etc. So yeah it counts. The fighting style is important.

‘but it’s not the most important thing either.

someone less strong than an other can be 1000 times better etc.

choosing your fav only about power is stupid

But I can’t say it’s not somewhat important

If you can find me a genuinely investable character who isn't strong then I'll pick them, but there just isn't. Every relevant character that gets proper screentime, memorable and exciting moments is strong. Ussop is my favorite, but he simply doesn't exist anymore so I just gravitate to the next best thing which is Sanji. He got the character, strength and relevancy to be invested in.

Only my favorite is don krieg because he fight like real pirate amd never give up . oh he is starving to death . Man never show a fear . He would fight everyone without second thought . Opposite of Blackbeard.

‘’He is completely character. He has Iq, strength , technology. Non coc user who is more worthy having coc than so,called coc user.

Fresh luffy is fighting wounded don krieg .
‘As I wish don krieg return and show blue haki but that will never happen .

And I enjoy Hody jones and his action ,characters. All serious guy but underdog villain type.

Weak characters don’t get as many moments in the manga to be cool or impactful on the plot. Even those who should be more impactful get watered down because as a shonen manga the author has to focus on the characters that will be important in fights.

So strength is important because that impacts their narrative presence; but beyond that the actual characters personality is way more important than simply who they can best in a fight.

Depends really on what type of character your fav is.

if its a gag character whos only purpose is to be comedic relief in the story (Buggy, Usopp, etc…) then his strength doesn’t matter.

if its an actual serious character who is relevant to the plot (Yonkos, Admirals, etc…), then his strength ABSOLUTELY matters, otherwise nobody will take him seriously in the story.

Imagine if Teach was Chopper level? Do you think any of the plans he schemed that made him so great and beloved as a character would work then?

He’d just be all bark no bite and get his ass handed to him every single arc

Noone of the fanbase will ever take him seriously.

Depends really on what type of character your fav is.

if its a gag character whos only purpose is to be comedic relief in the story (Buggy, Usopp, etc…) then his strength doesn’t matter.

if its an actual serious character who is relevant to the plot (Yonkos, Admirals, etc…), then his strength ABSOLUTELY matters otherwise nobody will take him seriously in the story.

Imagine if Teach was Chopper level? Do you think any of the plans he schemed that made him so great and beloved as a character would work then?

He’d just be all bark no bite and get his ass handed to him every single arc

noone of the fanbase will ever take him seriously
Buggy ain’t no comedic relief. Buggys just destined for greatness and no amount of strength or weakness can break that destiny

:pepebuggy:

First time i watched OP was the anime back in 2002 while i was 13y old and my favorite character since day1 was Mihawk.

There were no powerlevels and stuff like this. Didnt care about the WSS title, if he's among the top 5/10/100 or whatever,i just liked his mysterious aura. I would never imagine that i would have to wait 2+ decades to see his backstory/fights etc etc.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I thought the topic was discussing if strength was the most important thing when picking favorites and that your response was in regards to the topic.
It is. Ain't no way Shanks would be popular if he was weak. All Shanks fans talk about is his power level and hype. I just singled them out because of how many act like bitches lol.