Have any of you ever permanently ended a relationship with a parent before? What's that like

I feel like I'm going to do that with my mom soon.

She's schizophrenic and refuses to take her medication

But more than that her behavior is pretty abusive. She's really possessive and refuses to treat me like an adult. I graduated college and have a good paying job but she keeps demanding that I quit and move back home with her. When I said no, she basically stalked me for a week and repeatedly bothered me about this.

I'm just kind of tired of this. It feels like no matter what, she will never support me in anything that I do.

One of my really good friends is fixing to get married. He's been in a relationship with his girlfriend for the past 7 years, and now that they're nearly done with college, they're going to try to build a life together. Most of my other friends have also seemed to have found partners and are moving in with them.

I think one of my biggest dreams is to be like my friend who's getting married.

But I've realized that my mother would never support me on this. She demands to be the most important person in my life, despite the fact that I hate spending time with her. She is always paranoid that I have people living in my apartment with me(even though I don't) or that I have a girlfriend(which I don't). According to her, I'm forbidden from doing these otherwise normal things.

I'm fucking tired of being treated like someone's possession. Maybe when I was younger, my mom did support me doing well in high school and getting into a good college. But now it just seems like all she wants is to hold me back.

I recently moved out of a property my father owned. One my mother had open access to. Now I live in a city a few hours away from my parents in an apartment I am renting. But given how much of a negative influence my mother is still having on my life, I'm considering just blocking her, moving far away, and never seeing her again.
I'd advise you to go for professional medic like psychiatrist for this type of problem. That's the best option for you.
Contact other close relatives which knows about you and your mother and try to solve inside the family. If not, then follow first sentence.
Asking for our opinions and experiences is good, but don't take these as a words of gospel and conclude with it.

Tbh she hasn’t actually been violent

she just repeatedly comes to my apartment when I tell her she isn’t welcome. Specifically to harass me about quitting my job.

Several times she has even called EMS to my apartment because for whatever reason she believed I needed emergency medical care(despite me explicitly saying I was fine).

She’s also been to my place of employment multiple times and even tried to submit a resignation letter on my behalf.
Post automatically merged:

If I were you I'd be concerned for my safety if you ever do end up getting a girlfriend and your mother finds out.
What I’m concerned about is the fact that my mom’s relationship with me is toxic and abusive and I don’t want to rope in someone else into that relationship.

« the natural consequences of their own actions » is such a wrong thing to say concerning a handicapped person who is being tricked by her own mind…
Its sad but it’s true

It’s one thing to have schizophrenia. There are many people who are schizophrenic and are able to live functioning lives.

But my mom just refuses to listen to anyone’s advice and help herself.

she legit thinks she’s smarter than everyone

I cannot prevent her from ruining her own life. The best I can do is prevent her from ruining my own.

I feel like I'm going to do that with my mom soon.

She's schizophrenic and refuses to take her medication

But more than that her behavior is pretty abusive. She's really possessive and refuses to treat me like an adult. I graduated college and have a good paying job but she keeps demanding that I quit and move back home with her. When I said no, she basically stalked me for a week and repeatedly bothered me about this.

I'm just kind of tired of this. It feels like no matter what, she will never support me in anything that I do.

One of my really good friends is fixing to get married. He's been in a relationship with his girlfriend for the past 7 years, and now that they're nearly done with college, they're going to try to build a life together. Most of my other friends have also seemed to have found partners and are moving in with them.

I think one of my biggest dreams is to be like my friend who's getting married.

But I've realized that my mother would never support me on this. She demands to be the most important person in my life, despite the fact that I hate spending time with her. She is always paranoid that I have people living in my apartment with me(even though I don't) or that I have a girlfriend(which I don't). According to her, I'm forbidden from doing these otherwise normal things.

I'm fucking tired of being treated like someone's possession. Maybe when I was younger, my mom did support me doing well in high school and getting into a good college. But now it just seems like all she wants is to hold me back.

I recently moved out of a property my father owned. One my mother had open access to. Now I live in a city a few hours away from my parents in an apartment I am renting. But given how much of a negative influence my mother is still having on my life, I'm considering just blocking her, moving far away, and never seeing her again.
Preserve yourself.

@Monkey D Theories

I understand. Your mother's mental illness is holding you back from life. I get it. My father was a Bipolar Narcissist nightmare and held me, and especially my older brother back from living our own lives. The world had to center around him all the time, our opinions, needs, wants and feelings didn't matter to him at all, but he expected us to always cater to his needs. Your mother sounds Narcissist too tbh. They always manipulate to get their way. My father died years ago and that's when we finally could live our lives on our own terms. It's painful, you probably love your mother but you are 100% correct to cut her from your life so that you can finally have a life of your own. Other's may disagree but they haven't been in your shoes. You are NOT your mother's keeper. I would suggest no contact until she gets back on her meds and then very limited contact after that because she WILL try to manipulate you again. Best to put restrictions in your relationship and stand firm. Talk to her Doctor about what you plan to do so he can urge her to take her medicines and he can validate her behavior is driving you away. It's her responsibility, not yours to get the help she needs. Good luck.

I used to talk to her at least twice a day, if not more. I’ve decided that it’s probably best to limit it to once or twice a week as those daily calls frequently just devolved into arguments.

So far it’s working out.

Well

I had to go to a court and have her involuntarily confined for two weeks because she drove to my city(3 hrs away from her home), stalked me for an entire week, and refused to go home.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it’s time to end my relationship with her.

talking to her is never pleasant. It’s emotionally exhausting. She would legitimately be happier if she just forgot I existed.

Well

I had to go to a court and have her involuntarily confined for two weeks because she drove to my city(3 hrs away from her home), stalked me for an entire week, and refused to go home.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it’s time to end my relationship with her.

talking to her is never pleasant. It’s emotionally exhausting. She would legitimately be happier if she just forgot I existed.
Eh.. I personally have a hatred for mental institutions and what not, but I understand sending her to one, that's very unacceptable.
I wonder why she's like that? Is she afraid of not being in your life anymore or something?

Eh.. I personally have a hatred for mental institutions and what not, but I understand sending her to one, that's very unacceptable.
it was either that or press criminal charges. Getting her confined was harder and I had to take time out of work just to do it. But it was probably better than the other option.

The issue is, you can’t actually treat schizophrenia effectively in 2 weeks. The actual duration that the therapy is supposed to last is 6 weeks and if you’re not better then, you’re supposed to cycle through therapies until you find a drug that works.

but if you let people go after only 2 weeks, then they are going to quit treatment before you can even test if it’s effective.

it was either that or press criminal charges. Getting her confined was harder and I had to take time out of work just to do it. But it was probably better than the other option.

The issue is, you can’t actually treat schizophrenia effectively in 2 weeks. The actual duration that the therapy is supposed to last is 6 weeks and if you’re not better then, you’re supposed to cycle through therapies until you find a drug that works.

but if you let people go after only 2 weeks, then they are going to quit treatment before you can even test if it’s effective.
So why did she get out after 2 weeks?

Not permanently but i didnt speak with my mother for almost 3 years.

That happened 14y before and now we are pretty fine. Both of us understood our mistakes and we talked about it.