General & Others Do you guys think that Luffy will die at the end of the series?

Not really. I don’t think Oda has the guts to do it. The fact that he killed Ace was surprising in itself.

I did initially think it was possible after Gear 2 was revealed since it was stated that he was shortening his lifespan every time he used it and what Ivankov did to cure Luffy’s poisoning supposedly cut off 10 years.

But does any of that even matter anymore?? It kinda seemed like Luffy died when his heart stopped during the battle with Kaido, only for it to start up again when he awakened his DF. Does this count as dying? :wonderland:

I don’t think any of that had been mentioned since Impel Down, so it’s possible Oda scrapped the idea.

Highly doubt it. One Piece is a big deal and still will be once its over. We can assume that there will be still movies and other stuff like that. Oda can't get rid of the mc and make him die. Luffy will be alive and people can still have theories and speculate what his next adventure will be.

Highly doubt it. One Piece is a big deal and still will be once its over. We can assume that there will be still movies and other stuff like that. Oda can't get rid of the mc and make him die. Luffy will be alive and people can still have theories and speculate what his next adventure will be.
That's really a moot point. OP is such a cash cow for spin-offs and in-depth companion works, that you can kill off all the SHs by the end of the manga and still have thousands of ideas for future television and movie deals.

That being said, I too used to think that Luffy would die by the end, if anything to parallel Roger, maybe starting a new era of his own. Gear 2 and Ivankov's hormone injections during Impel Down only reinforced this idea. Then the timeskip happened and Oda began veering away from the lifespan-taxing techniques. With the introduction of Joy Boy, the Nika fruit, and the fact that Roger was too early to the Big Revolution, I'm now certain that Luffy will surpass the previous PK in everything, including having to retire peacefully once all the sailing and liberating is said and done.

So, no, I no longer expect Luffy to die; else, if he does die, I don't expect his death to stick any more than his death in Wano did.

I think hes been pushing his body to its utmost limit and its going to eventually take its toll on him.
Possibly, but I don't think so. I do think he's going to end the series without a devil fruit somehow though, and abandon Nika or give it to someone else.
Post automatically merged:

If any straw hat dies, I think it will be Brook. He's mentioned before that he can die permanently if his bones are fully destroyed, and I think for whatever reason he's the one the audience will be least upset about losing, because he's already dead yohohoho

Yes, but he'll live on in some way tied to the true nature of Devil Fruits.

I also think there's a possibility Oda pulls a Dragon Ball type move and has Luffy pass on from his world and embark upon another great adventure in another that we are perhaps only shown a glimpse of.

I don't think so. Only way I see luffy dying is if we get a epilogue after the eos detailing every shs life and the events post eos. Imo luffy has been hinted at as shorting his life so I think he'll die younger than most probably in his 40's or 50's. But the story is literally about and how his challenging the world. There's no way he wins the final battle and just dies especially with Oda's love for having the shs throw parties at the end arcs.

I doubt he'll really die. But, I could see Luffy basically "faking" his own death.

There has been a lot of "death flags" for Luffy in the manga. And he's been going into "old man mode" a lot, recently. Using his powers is clearly wearing on him. So, I feel like that has to pay off somehow. But, I think it'll basically result in us getting a "death scene", .which basically turns into a fake-out.

Luffy wants to be the most free person in the world, after all. And that can't really happen after the story is over if he's being hunted by the Marines. He's still a pirate, after all. Even if the World Government gets reformed, Luffy would still be a criminal in the eyes of the law.

But, I could see everyone kind of pretending to go along with the idea that Luffy is dead, as a excuse to let him get off scott free. Just imagine everyone humoring Luffy while he's wearing a fake mustache pretending to be someone else, like back on Sabaody. Everyone knows it's him, but they all go along with the ruse because they're all thankful to him for saving the world. Something along those lines.