Character Discussion Blackbeard will be the best antagonist ever in One Piece

I just realized, but all antagonists I can remember that Luffy had faced oppose his philosophy. Luffy is all about freedom, and his antagonists, past and future, are all diametrically opposed to that value. Be it Sawnose, Sandman, Flamingo, name it, all the way until Imu, they all represent authoritarianism, oppression and slavery.

All except Blackbeard, that is.

Even in their first meeting, we see that Blackbeard is basically Luffy. Carefree, fun-loving, jovial... and all about freedom. We see that from the beginning, when he defends the value of dreams, to the end when he recruits Aokiji with his speech about freedom.

The only difference between them is that Luffy has morals and Blackbeard does not.

For this reason, Blackbeard - even beyond what he has already done - has the potential to challenge Luffy on moral and philosophical level. Luffy will, essentially, be fighting himself.

And this is why I am actually looking forward to Luffy vs Blackbeard far more than, say, Luffy vs Imu. Blackbeard is already a great character, but he has the potential to become even better.

Oda does seem to be setting up Luffy to represent something like egalitarianism, where all people are considered equals. While Blackbeard seems to be representing anarchy, where there are no rulers at all. Or something along those lines.

I do think the fight between Luffy and Blackbeard will probably be a interesting one. And I'm curious to know if there's any actual link between the two characters. Ever since Blackbeard's first appearance, he's been a big question mark for me. They seem so similar, but so different. I'm not quite sure what Oda's going for, here.

I do feel like we're going to get a reveal that Luffy and Blackbeard are connected, somehow. Either because Luffy has Joyboy's will, and Blackbeard has Joyboy's bloodline. Or that their Devil Fruits are connected in some way.

So, yeah, I think Luffy and Blackbeard are going to end up in a big fight by the endgame. I'm not sure if Blackbeard will be the "true final boss" of the manga. There's a few other candidates for that. But, I think he almost has to be a big fight along the way, at least. And I do feel like he'll end up being the most..."philosophically" interesting, at least.

I just realized, but all antagonists I can remember that Luffy had faced oppose his philosophy. Luffy is all about freedom, and his antagonists, past and future, are all diametrically opposed to that value. Be it Sawnose, Sandman, Flamingo, name it, all the way until Imu, they all represent authoritarianism, oppression and slavery.

All except Blackbeard, that is.

Even in their first meeting, we see that Blackbeard is basically Luffy. Carefree, fun-loving, jovial... and all about freedom. We see that from the beginning, when he defends the value of dreams, to the end when he recruits Aokiji with his speech about freedom.

The only difference between them is that Luffy has morals and Blackbeard does not.

For this reason, Blackbeard - even beyond what he has already done - has the potential to challenge Luffy on moral and philosophical level. Luffy will, essentially, be fighting himself.

And this is why I am actually looking forward to Luffy vs Blackbeard far more than, say, Luffy vs Imu. Blackbeard is already a great character, but he has the potential to become even better.
Zkk fans aren't interested in this they're just interested in mihawk vs Zoro. The final battle of one piece :myman::zosmug::zosmug::zosmug::zosmug::zosmug::zosmug:

Well, Rob Lucci just wanted freedom... freedom to kill...

We've yet to know Blackbeard's dream. If he inherited Xebec's will (being the King of the World), which is very likely, then he's nowhere close to Luffy... he would be closer to Imu if anything. However, I agree that Blackbeard may be the best One Piece antagonist ever (he's at least the most anticipated for me, although not necessarily the most anticipated for everyone), I have high hopes for him.