Football Discussion Thread

Who is more finished?


  • Total voters
    18
UEFA/FIFA rules if I'm not mistaken.
There have to be jerseys numbered 1 through 23 available on the pitch.

They should have given it to someone on the bench who isn't going to play.
Yup, squad numbers need to be filled. In the first two games we had a different player wear Džeko's 11 because he wasn't in the protocol for the match. Tomorrow he plays and is wearing it again (for the last time🥲)
 
Madrid won't give any farewell to Ronaldo. Madrid doesn't share same bond with Ronaldo as Barca does with Messi.

Portugual might give it in future and he deserves so but most of the stuffs that has happened to him in the past 5/6 years is due to his own attitude and ego. Having that said, even his own fans are tired of defending him. They just want him to retire with grace without tarnishing his legacy anymore
He is a bit too sensitive when it comes to Messi; otherwise, he could have retired after the World Cup—or even before it.
Striving to break the all-time goal record and widen the gap between himself and the rest is a bit too selfish; I am certain that Haaland will break the international goal record in 7 to 10 years.
I used to think Messi should keep playing for the national team and in the next World Cup—through 2030—but now I am glad he is retiring with honor and the respect of his teammates and his people.
 
Yup, squad numbers need to be filled. In the first two games we had a different player wear Džeko's 11 because he wasn't in the protocol for the match. Tomorrow he plays and is wearing it again (for the last time🥲)
It truly saddens me that legends like Modric and Dzeko do not receive the recognition they deserve.

They were never superstars, yet they were incredible players.
 

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Hustlerversity Graduate
‎
He is a bit too sensitive when it comes to Messi; otherwise, he could have retired after the World Cup—or even before it.
Striving to break the all-time goal record and widen the gap between himself and the rest is a bit too selfish; I am certain that Haaland will break the international goal record in 7 to 10 years.
I used to think Messi should keep playing for the national team and in the next World Cup—through 2030—but now I am glad he is retiring with honor and the respect of his teammates and his people.
Haaland is already 26 btw.

He's not a winger or strikers who create chances, you need to create for him otherwise he's dead all game.


People overrate Haaland, he cap at Ibrahimovic
 
It truly saddens me that legends like Modric and Dzeko do not receive the recognition they deserve.

They were never superstars, yet they were incredible players.
Modrić at least got his flowers in the form of a Balon d'Or.
Džeko will go down as one of the most underrated strikers ever. He was born in the wrong country sadly. Put him in any top country and the PR machine would keep pushing him to the moon.
Still, his success speaks volumes in spite of his circumstances. Our best ambassador.
 

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
‎
UEFA/FIFA rules if I'm not mistaken.
There have to be jerseys numbered 1 through 23 available on the pitch.

They should have given it to someone on the bench who isn't going to play.
Yeah!

I read scaloni's statement day ago that only Messi will wear Number 10 until he retires for good.

I feel Portugal federation and management definitely wants to keep Ronaldo for all the eyeballs and revenue he generates but there's not much respect driving it.
 

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Hustlerversity Graduate
‎
Yeah!

I read scaloni's statement day ago that only Messi will wear Number 10 until he retires for good.

I feel Portugal federation and management definitely wants to keep Ronaldo for all the eyeballs and revenue he generates but there's not much respect driving it.
Retiring a number forever is too much IMO

Players are replaceable and none should take away of someone ambition to wear iconic numbers

Italian clubs abused this concept
 
Haaland is already 26 btw.

He's not a winger or strikers who create chances, you need to create for him otherwise he's dead all game.


People overrate Haaland, he cap at Ibrahimovic
Yes, he is a goal-scoring machine.
The only player in history who was both a goal-scoring machine and named Playmaker of the Year five times—I believe his name was Lionel Andrés Messi.
Haaland will break Ronaldo's goal records, provided nothing goes wrong—whether in the Champions League or in international matches.
 
It truly saddens me that legends like Modric and Dzeko do not receive the recognition they deserve.

They were never superstars, yet they were incredible players.
Not having recognition by media actually don't matter because, especially nowdays.

You have frauds as Raphinha, Endrick, Yamal, Vini Jr, Bruno Fernandez who are constantly glazed by media.
 

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
‎
He is a bit too sensitive when it comes to Messi; otherwise, he could have retired after the World Cup—or even before it.
Striving to break the all-time goal record and widen the gap between himself and the rest is a bit too selfish; I am certain that Haaland will break the international goal record in 7 to 10 years.
I used to think Messi should keep playing for the national team and in the next World Cup—through 2030—but now I am glad he is retiring with honor and the respect of his teammates and his people.
He could have played till 2028 /2030. He had it in him to compete at international stage even now.

But I think what happened in the finals and the criticism of Argentina play style and his father's death made him hang the boots for good. Rightly so tbh. Younger players need time with the manager to build a team and they need atleast 4 years to try fill the gap Messi will leave behind
 

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Hustlerversity Graduate
‎
This award is not really important in my eyes, especially these days when we see Yamal and Mbappe begging for it every day.

The fact that Titi never won it is a joke.
How you define a superstar?

Modric won it in 2018, still in Messi-Ronaldo era.

The Croatia world cup run was massive PR (underdog appeal) , even though their performance at final was super embarrassing.

Ballon Dor got heavy popularity tax / Pr machine in none could beat Ronaldo/Messi, yet Modric still won it.
 

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
‎
Retiring a number forever is too much IMO

Players are replaceable and none should take away of someone ambition to wear iconic numbers

Italian clubs abused this concept
Players don't have ambitions to wear a jersey number lmao.

They have ambitions to play iconic positions on field for their nations and win the tournaments.

Messi's and Ronaldo's jersey numbers are too iconic. Return them is show of respect for their long services or atleast not giving it to anyone as long as they are playing.

In case of Sachin, it's different story. It had to be done.
 
He could have played till 2028 /2030. He had it in him to compete at international stage even now.

But I think what happened in the finals and the criticism of Argentina play style and his father's death made him hang the boots for good. Rightly so tbh. Younger players need time with the manager to build a team and they need atleast 4 years to try fill the gap Messi will leave behind
I still believe that this style of play was largely Scaloni's fault.
He could have rested Messi during the first half of the final; furthermore, he didn't trust young players like Nico Paz and set up the lineup far too timidly.
They weren't even a shadow of the 2022 Argentina side, and Messi had to carry the team single-handedly; otherwise, in my opinion, they could have easily beaten Spain.
 
Top