Technique is the most basic type of swordsmen, the children who enlisted into Shimotsuki dojo, the first thing they learn is technique.
Once they have that under their belt, they start bulking up by training their physique. Then comes haki.
Zoro who encountered Mihawk in East Blue, tried to win with technique+physique but Mihawk's haki created a huge gap between them.
@nik87 @ConquistadoR how would you rank all the common swordsmen in terms of raw skill? And how would you classify them (thinking about guys like Cracker, BM and Jack f.e.)
A 3 tier- system perhaps?
We should look at it from EoS perspective, you have the right idea.
Zoro is the most skilled, ofc, so is by design.
At 2nd place I would put, Shiryu, due to my Orochified Raiu theory which creates 8-sword style. Without it, he drops down, under Mihawk, skill-wise.
3rd place I would give to Kakus Yontoryu, the only thing in this show that was superior to Santoryu, skill-wise.
4th place I would give to Oden and Gaban and Vista.
After that comes Ittoryu that many use and it is hard to say who is the most skilled, probably Mihawk.
I dont know if BM and Jack have any style/skill tbh, they just swing their weapons... BM can copy the Elbaf move...