Worstgen

Cinera
Cinera
Mariejois is just so terribly, horribly inefficient. It's not even about how they don't value human lives, but their entire slavery system is just so economically wasteful. They use slaves for a lot of work that could be more cheaply automated.
Cinera
Cinera
I can only imagine that the purpose of their stupid slavery is some form of entertainment (they actively enjoy seeing their slaves suffer and driving them to their deaths the way they do). Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Cinera
Cinera
If Oda was simply trying to portray Celestial Dragons as not valuing the lives of normal humans, I think he kind of failed at it. The sheer inefficiency of it all feels so pointless.
Cinera
Cinera
I think I like how it was handled in Tower of God.

There's an incident where a Princess takes along a massive fleet to apprehend a powerful member of the rebellion force. She actually intends to inform him about the orders of the Army to destroy the Rebellion force and take out a train where his student was riding.
Cinera
Cinera
While they "fight" she lets him destroy virtually destroy her entire fleet save a couple ships (which she takes them out as collateral damage of attacks directed at him).
Cinera
Cinera
The annihilation of her fleet served a practical purpose there: covering up the high treason she was committing.
Cinera
Cinera
Because she was so stupidly wealthy, the ships could also be replaced and it wasn't a serious dent in her finances.

The lives of her subordinates were worthless to her and they could be easily replaced from the peasants.
Cinera
Cinera
It's the same casual disregard for those far below them in the social hierarchy, but here that casual disregard is displayed in fulfilment of a practical purpose.
Cinera
Cinera
There's a banality to the evil of destroying your fleet of hundreds of ships and thousands of people because you can't let them overhear you committing treason.

The ships can be replaced with pocket change and ditto the soldiers.

That casual disregard for life comes across clearly.
Cinera
Cinera
Physically overworking slaves till they die of exhaustion at tasks that can be done more cheaply by machines is hilariously inefficient and cartoonishly evil.

It's not how one would act merely out of disregard for their life.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Yeah the CDs in OP are quite needlessly cruel but that's gods for ya, which god isn't vindictive, petty and just overall nasty and egotistical?
Cinera
Cinera
Was the "Hammock" intentional?
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Yeah it’s meant to be mocking, like he can’t even be bothered remembering her name.
Cinera
Cinera
Aah.
Cinera
Cinera
I didn't like the detail of Coby defeating Hancock. It's workable, but I really dislike damsels in distress, and this feels like enfeeblement?
Cinera
Cinera
I guess it subverted my expectations of the strong, independent and proud woman you had depicted Hancock as prior.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
I mean, strong and independent doesn’t mean invincible. The moral of the story is that both she and Mihawk have tasted defeat so they can both relate to each other.

And I mean let’s be real, that’s most likely what Oda is going to do in canon anyway.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Mihawk and Hancock have both made strength a part of their identity for most of their lives. In my fic at least it’s about them setting their pride aside and finding meaning in other things. I made sure to break both their prides with Mihawk losing his title and Hancock needing to be saved by Luffy in the past
Cinera
Cinera
> And I mean let’s be real, that’s most likely what Oda is going to do in canon anyway.

Oda is sexist in his depictions of female characters though.
Cinera
Cinera
He made the only female Emperor a monster and even then he still humiliates her and clowns her.