Worstgen

Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
Foxy is the worst character in this entire fucking series, and this is a hill on which I will gladly die any day. His arc has no bearing on the story, the Davy Back Fight was bullshit manufactured drama in between two relevant and thrilling arcs, and he’s just an empty trope of “overconfident jackass obviously due for comeuppance” and nothing else.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
Scorching hot take - Kizaru is the least interesting or developed admiral. Aokiji lets personal conflicts affect his obligations to the Marines; Akainu is brutal but still a slave to bureaucracy; Fujitora is disillusioned with the cause he supports; Kizaru is there and reacts to things sometimes. Even the unseen Ryokugyu has something going on with the hunger strike, for God’s sake...
B
Ballel
@Jew D. Boy I'm sure the Davy Back fight will play a role further into the story. Be it the way the Rocks pirates were created or whatever. Foxy himself is literally one of the worst characters, I can't stand seeing him or doing ANYTHING.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@solis It needs to come back to retroactively make that arc even slightly useful, but it wouldn’t have been that bad to just...not include it when we got it. The rules and spirit of the game would still make sense if they were explained in the context of how Rocks was formed, we didn’t need the shittiest character to be our conduit 🤬
Midnight Delight
Midnight Delight
Foxy is based
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@Midnight Delight Based on a truly tired archetype that has no inherent redeeming qualities past the satisfaction of watching a character get what they deserve, absolutely.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
I mostly hate characters that the author tries to force us to like or sympathise with but they’re actually idiots or the authors of their own misfortune. Kinda like Tashigi. Even in her SBS child pictures, compare her to young Zoro, Vista, Mihawk. The boys are covered in scrapes and training with their swords. She’s squeaky clean and isn’t even touching her bokken.
Midnight Delight
Midnight Delight
She's more of a Sword Nerd than a Swordman. That's kinda her Character
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Also the fact that Oda wants us to feel bad for Garp makes me hate him even more. This dude sides with a government who mass murders civilians and turns a blind eye to the slave trade, and we’re supposed to see him as a good guy because he showed Neptune some human decency? You gotta be fucking kidding me.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
@Midnight Delight well then, she ain’t got no right to complain that others look down on her. And she has no business joining the marines either. You wanna be a nerd? Join a kendo club or a museum. Don’t join the actual freaking military that fights human weapons of mass destruction and complain that people don’t think you’re top shit while blaming it on sexism.
B
Ballel
@Midnight Delight She might be an expert on swords but not on combat. Then she complains that other characters are stronger than her. Oh, and she also happens to be a woman. Big deal. Got nothing to do with that tho.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Tashigi is a huge soccer fan that tries to join a pro team, knows all the famous players and can recite the rulebook backwards, except she can't actually play the game and complains when the rest of the team doesn't want her as a teammate. Her stupidity is the root cause of all her problems.

If Mihawk treated her the exact same way he treated Zoro you can bet your ass she'd call him a sexist, and be completely wrong
B
Ballel
@Den_Den_Mushi Garp is kinda a tough case for me tbh. He probably sides with the marines because he believes in the general idea of the navy as an institution that is supposed to protect order and keep balance.
I still hope we'll see more of his motivations for staying in the navy, what drove him to join in the first place and how much he knows about government secrets.
..>
B
Ballel
>I always felt there must be more to the connections between him, Akainu, Dragon.
The way he treated Ace and Luffy is inexcusable. It might be explained by not wanting them to become "lawless" like his own son. This could at least give an explanation.
But there is no excuse to him being a child abuser. Luffy was even afraid of him. That should show Garp that his 'upbringing' was utter shit.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
I mean, it’s kinda sad that Luffy has been better at restoring law and order to countries than the actual navy. Nezumi was helping Arlong, Fuji barely did anything to stop Doffy and Croc was allowed to do whatever he wanted. Garp also saw them slaughtering women and children and he’s still with them? Big yikes.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Garp is a terrible parental figure. He never attempted to understand Luffy or Ace, never asked about Sabo’s death or he would’ve understood why they hated the WG and would never serve them. And then he asked Ace why Ace wouldn’t live the way he wanted him to? The audacity of this trash bag.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
I like Garp a lot (check the tag and my first battle in last year’s Royal Rumble) and I think he loves his family, but he has a genuinely awful parenting style. When you’re the global symbol of justice and literally all of your descendants become criminals in your wake, that’s a pretty bad track record! 🥶
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Lol yeah but beyond the bad parenting it’s the standing blindly by the navy while they commit war crimes right in front of your eyes that gets me. Also the fact that he let women and children be killed and did nothing about it.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
That’s the problem with moral relativism - is his inaction worse than any other high ranking Marine? Akainu still has plenty of fans despite calling for the total annihilation of Ohara and murdering Ace outside of the parameters set by his organization, among other crimes both stated and not. Won’t defend Garp against what you’ve pointed out, but he is a passive participant in a group of far more active aggressors.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Sengoku deserves the lion’s share of blame in that scenario I mentioned, but Garp is like a Nazi prison camp officer who doesn’t actually torture and kill anyone, but stands by and allows everything to happen. My problem is mostly that the story pushes him as a good guy when he’s got a lot of war crimes on his hands just like the rest of them.