Worstgen

EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
No seriously, the DS3 DLC difficulty meta is like baseline in the next two games. At least if you play Elden Ring without summons. And in Sekiro the last few segments especially when Ashina castle is burning are absolutely bonkers in terms of what they throw at you.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Oh man I completely forgot about a few Sekiro enemies. That miniboss where you get 2v1d is tough. I cheesed that shit iirc lol
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
Or like the run up to the demon of hatred with fire AOE spammers everywhere. Or the gun valley.
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
Elden Ring ramps it up to the point where it seems like the game wants you to use to the new collectible Pokémon spirit summons for most encounters.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Twinblade Monks were kinda annoying too
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
There’s a concern that FromSoft is in a nuclear arms race with its fans, where they have to keep making harder and harder challenges to stay interesting.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Yeah, I've heard some people express worry that Fromsoft is moving closer to "artificial difficulty" in Elden Ring.
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
It depends. I personally think FromSoft wanted Elden Ring bosses to be doable solo for veteran players but then also have them be accessible to new players via the new spirit summons. But as a result the game ends up in a weird balance where things feel slightly bullshit if you don’t use the summons but slightly too easy if you do use them.
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
Basically in Elden ring they designed bosses for both solo and multiplayer as opposed to just solo, which kind of threw off the balancing
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Elden Ring must have been tough to balance because of the open world design too.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
I think they may have had a similar problem with DS2's early-mid game.

4 separate paths that could be done in almost any order
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
That too, in Sekiro and DS3 FromSoft had a pretty good idea of what the player character would be like at any given boss fight, but in Elden Ring you have no idea when players will fight bosses which makes the game way harder to balance
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
You’re right about DS2 having a similar problem.
In general, tighter, more linear design = better balance but less freedom.

The trade off exists for all games it’s just more obvious in FromSoft ones due to their difficulty.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
You can tell that Bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro boss design really benefited from the linearity.

Do you think Elden Ring DLC might fix some of the issues with the difficulty?
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
Probably, if it’s actually a thing that exists lol. From is pretty aware of problems given that they stealth nerfed duo fight in Elden Ring in 1.04 and having been patching most broken builds.

There’s also a few super well balanced bosses in the base game like Godrick or Godfrey or Mohg or etc that would make pretty good templates for DLC bosses
Uncle Van
Uncle Van
Man fuck those giant spirit summoning bitches
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
The judicators? Holy crap I forgot about those. Instant ptsd.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Getting turned into a pincushion 8 seconds after entering the Ringed City was a...
Interesting first impression to say the least
EmperorKinyagi
EmperorKinyagi
Truly one of the Miyazaki moments of all time. Thank you Dark Souls.
TheKnightOfTheSea
TheKnightOfTheSea
Getting blasted into smithereens by the angels was also another Miyazaki moment.

Of course, immediately after the angel there was a poison swamp.