Theory Age doesn't decrease strength as much as we might think

I have a theory that people are severely overestimating how much old age decreases your strength in One Piece, old age doesn't really decrease your combat prowess as much as inactivity and laziness do.

Whitebeard was weaker in his old age, but was it just because he was old or because of his sickness, years of inactivity and heavy drinking?

Rayleigh was weaker in his old age, but was it just because he was old or because he hasn't fought anyone in years and is out of shape?

Garp seems to be really powerful with no visible signs of slowing down even though he's older than Whitebeard and the same age as Rayleigh. I think that's because Garp was never inactive and because of that he stayed in great shape.

Big Mom is old, but is still capable of fighting Kaido to a standstill for 3 days, no signs of exhaustion.

I think their strenght did decreased. Yet they still monsters maybe its just a way to say "imagine how strong they were now imagine gow brutal the standards are gonna get" maybe at some point people become monsters, maybe we dont know the true limits of bodies in the one piece world?
The weird thing is the size, is it me or some people get really big when old? Can this be a phemomenon similar to the sky island? Is this related to the new world? Is it related to the height? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
I have a theory that people are severely overestimating how much old age decreases your strength in One Piece, old age doesn't really decrease your combat prowess as much as inactivity and laziness do.

Whitebeard was weaker in his old age, but was it just because he was old or because of his sickness, years of inactivity and heavy drinking?

Rayleigh was weaker in his old age, but was it just because he was old or because he hasn't fought anyone in years and is out of shape?

Garp seems to be really powerful with no visible signs of slowing down even though he's older than Whitebeard and the same age as Rayleigh. I think that's because Garp was never inactive and because of that he stayed in great shape.

Big Mom is old, but is still capable of fighting Kaido to a standstill for 3 days, no signs of exhaustion.
There was an SBS and Oda said this.
He just said the geezers are still tough, which we already knew.

But he also showcased and stressed age as a problem in the manga
Garp stated he hates getting old and that he can't throw his canonballs half as fast as he used to
Rayleigh complained about old age slowing him down against Kizaru
WB when trying to comfort his men about Garp tells them he's gotten older now and is feeble
Sakazuki then responds to WB that he and Garp belong to the same generation so he should be careful
Sakazuki told WB that even he, the mighty WB, cannot defeat the effect of old age
BB told WB he got old and couldn't even defend a single crewmate
BB called Garp and Sengoku bygones of an obsolete era
So yeah, old age is definitely a problem in the OP world.

Last edited:
There was an SBS and Oda said this.
He just said the geezers are still tough, which we already knew.

But he also showcased and stressed age as a problem in the manga
Garp stated he hates getting old and that he can't throw his canonballs half as fast as he used to
Rayleigh complained about old age slowing him down against Kizaru
WB when trying to comfort his men about Garp tells them he's gotten older now and is feeble
Akainu then responds to WB that he and Garp belong to the same generation so he should be careful
Akainu told WB that even he, the mighty WB, cannot defeat the effect of old age
BB told WB he got old and couldn't even defend a single crewmate
BB called Garp and Sengoku bygones of an obsolete era
So yeah, old age is definitely a problem in the OP world.
I do agree it's a problem, but there's other reasons why people become weaker over time, not just old age

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
I do agree it's a problem, but there's other reasons why people become weaker over time, not just old age
I think that with saying old age Oda accounts for things like naturally growing weaker, having your physical strength drop, reactions drop, etc, as well as being more prone to fatigue and susceptible to diseases and illnesses. Like when Sakazuki tells Whitebeard that even he cannot overcome old age
it was in a moment where WB was getting a heart attack and on his knees. In that vein, it seems Oda regards it like I said above.