Controversial AI Generated TAGS

Yeah, by feeding a database with stolen art from actual artists so this "everyone" of yours with more laziness than talent can make said artists' work even more precarious than it already is.

"Pretty controversial" is quite a soft way to put something as dangerous and unethical as this usage of AI.
I agree with you. Art stops being yours the very moment you publish it.
Copyright is a very sketchy thing.
Is the re-use of folk melodies copyright infringement?
Is the reproduction of ancient and medieval art copyright infringement? To what degree is an artist the author of their work when their art is based on inspirations from other people's works?

I agree with you. Art stops being yours the very moment you publish it.
Copyright is a very sketchy thing.
Is the re-use of folk melodies copyright infringement?
Is the reproduction of ancient and medieval art copyright infringement? To what degree is an artist the author of their work when their art is based on inspirations from other people's works?
Copyright may depend on the laws on each country regulating it, but isn't as sketchy as you make it sound. Folk melodies rarely have a traceable authorship; same for ancient and medieval art, and even when there's, no actual impact is made on the long-deceased authors whose work entered public domain centuries ago. Certainly quite different from Midjourney's developers blatantly admitting that they pretty much took millions of images without even caring whether they were copyrighted or not, most of which actually were and belonged to active artists, so they could feed them to their software. Art certainly doesn't stop being yours the moment you publish it, by the way.

Regarding your "based on inspirations from others" argument: an AI isn't a person, isn't an artist, isn't a professional selling a limited workforce for self-preservation (in case they even do work on it and don't just create art for their personal sake). AIs like Midjourney are massive generators of endless images that are faster, easier, cheaper to be produced than an actual artistic work. This means that an AI "taking inspiration" (more like stealing) from hundreds of millions of artists isn't helping itself grow as a professional (commonly imperfect as learning one artistic style takes time and skill, which an algorithm doesn't need) but replacing said professionals as now you have millions of pseudo-artists benefiting from other people's hard work while actually robbing them their jobs (since, again, a company will take an AI-generated art over an actual artistic job as long as it's good enough and is cheaper). In case jobs like graphic design, illustrator, etc. weren't precarious enough, now they have to deal with this AI crap.

By taking inspiration from another artist and practicing through copying their art as training I'm growing myself and developing in order to perfect my own style and craftmanship that only I can provide and benefit from it for my self-preservation. By stealing millions of art in order to create an algorithm that rapidly generates a bunch of high quality images and serving it as a tool for everyone, you're annihilating said self-preservation of the real artist who now may lose their job because a capitalistic techie stole their work and later used it to create a software capable of reproducing it, but cheaper.

Stuff like Midjourney is just poison and I'm growing really, really tired of it, just like most of the artistic community. Let's not try to compare a software fed on stolen data that is programmed to generate massive amounts of images in seconds with one poor guy working their ass off in order to improve their style by imitating those more experienced than themselves and who will need a good amount of time to create just one piece of art by using the work force they trade for income.

This isn't just a legal (which is by itself a huge aspect of it) but an ethical, humanistic, philosophical debate; three areas that the average techie philistine rarely cares about as their mind is just about production and benefit.

Yeah, by feeding a database with stolen art from actual artists so this "everyone" of yours with more laziness than talent can make said artists' work even more precarious than it already is.

"Pretty controversial" is quite a soft way to put something as dangerous and unethical as this usage of AI.
Copyright may depend on the laws on each country regulating it, but isn't as sketchy as you make it sound. Folk melodies rarely have a traceable authorship; same for ancient and medieval art, and even when there's, no actual impact is made on the long-deceased authors whose work entered public domain centuries ago. Certainly quite different from Midjourney's developers blatantly admitting that they pretty much took millions of images without even caring whether they were copyrighted or not, most of which actually were and belonged to active artists, so they could feed them to their software. Art certainly doesn't stop being yours the moment you publish it, by the way.

Regarding your "based on inspirations from others" argument: an AI isn't a person, isn't an artist, isn't a professional selling a limited workforce for self-preservation (in case they even do work on it and don't just create art for their personal sake). AIs like Midjourney are massive generators of endless images that are faster, easier, cheaper to be produced than an actual artistic work. This means that an AI "taking inspiration" (more like stealing) from hundreds of millions of artists isn't helping itself grow as a professional (commonly imperfect as learning one artistic style takes time and skill, which an algorithm doesn't need) but replacing said professionals as now you have millions of pseudo-artists benefiting from other people's hard work while actually robbing them their jobs (since, again, a company will take an AI-generated art over an actual artistic job as long as it's good enough and is cheaper). In case jobs like graphic design, illustrator, etc. weren't precarious enough, now they have to deal with this AI crap.

By taking inspiration from another artist and practicing through copying their art as training I'm growing myself and developing in order to perfect my own style and craftmanship that only I can provide and benefit from it for my self-preservation. By stealing millions of art in order to create an algorithm that rapidly generates a bunch of high quality images and serving it as a tool for everyone, you're annihilating said self-preservation of the real artist who now may lose their job because a capitalistic techie stole their work and later used it to create a software capable of reproducing it, but cheaper.

Stuff like Midjourney is just poison and I'm growing really, really tired of it, just like most of the artistic community. Let's not try to compare a software fed on stolen data that is programmed to generate massive amounts of images in seconds with one poor guy working their ass off in order to improve their style by imitating those more experienced than themselves and who will need a good amount of time to create just one piece of art by using the work force they trade for income.

This isn't just a legal (which is by itself a huge aspect of it) but an ethical, humanistic, philosophical debate; three areas that the average techie philistine rarely cares about as their mind is just about production and benefit.
Lmao
Artists all copy each other. This is even is how they start.
It isn't any different with AI, which is too limited to replace actual artists anyway

Stop crying. It won't go away.

Art certainly doesn't stop being yours the moment you publish it, by the way.
of course it does.

Your art enters the thoughts of anyone who even sees or hears it.
There's nothing you can do about it. Your art becomes a bunch of brain waves in someone's head and you can never take it back.

Stuff like Midjourney is just poison and I'm growing really, really tired of it, just like most of the artistic community
Yes,I agree with you.
I agree with this part too. The technological as well as other fields that revolve around data, bioengineering etc show an alarming lack of ethics and morality.
This state being forced by the education system

Lmao
Artists all copy each other. This is even is how they start.
It isn't any different with AI, which is too limited to replace actual artists anyway

Stop crying. It won't go away.
Of course it's different with AI, for God's sake.

An AI is an almost automatic generator using an algorithm and machine-learning to assimilate millions of works in seconds and massively produce with them replacements for an actual artist's craftmanship.

A professional artist is one guy spending countless hours in order to improve as much as they can their skillset so they can produce limited original work for their own self-preservation.

Big fucking difference for anybody with half a brain.

An artist copying other artists is doing so for their individual growth (will rarely be capable of perfectly assimilating a whole style, let alone tons of them) and has next to zero impact beyond themselves as it's still their workforce for their own benefit. An AI is taking millions of copyrighted images to machine-learn them, reproduce their characteristics for a system of mass-production and allow thousands of non-professionals to generate endless images way quicker and cheaper than a real artist using their workforce. Again, not even remotely comparable; just a fallacious attempt at justifying the unethical usage of AI that is as dumb as widespread.

It indeed won't go away; but doesn't make its consequences less abominable.
Post automatically merged:

Your art enters the thoughts of anyone who even sees or hears it.
There's nothing you can do about it. Your art becomes a bunch of brain waves in someone's head and you can never take it back.
Doesn't mean I'm less of its owner. Which is the first issue with Midjourney's developers publicly taking hundreds of millions of copyrighted work in order to feed an AI that poses serious issues, because one thing is being okay with another artist improving their art by copying your work and developing their own skillset (you'll find next to zero artists against this) but quite a different one is accepting a techie capitalist feeding with your work an AI for automatic and massive production of digital art that will soon replace thousands of jobs and make certain fields even more precarious, as it's already happening.

I agree with this part too. The technological as well as other fields that revolve around data, bioengineering etc show an alarming lack of ethics and morality.
This state being forced by the education system
AI could be great, but it belongs to marketeer philistines and nothing good ever comes from such individuals. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Worst

Custom title
AIs like Midjourney are massive generators of endless images that are faster, easier, cheaper to be produced than an actual artistic work.
Yeah but look at it from my point of view:

1) I can spend my whole life to learn how to draw in thousands of different styles
2 ) I can spend quite a lot of money ( rightfully so ) to ask an artist to make me maybe an high end fanart, it will cost hundreds if not thousands of $$ and a lot of time

From a " non artist " point of view i'm sorry for the artist i respect his work ( again i used to draw too and i know how hard it is ) but i take the AI all day......

I told you with a prompt in a couple of years we will all be able to create our own mangas if we wanted to!

And in even more even animes or whole movies!

Oh yeah, this is extremely dangerous, what most people don't realize yet is that while machines go bottom up ( meaning that they start automatig from the most " basic " forms of labors like agricolture etc ) AI goes top down meaning that it starts from from the creative jobs.

Again this is also somewhat true, i work with these things, not on the lowest level ( like the guys that do resarch on models etc ), but on a level low enough to know WTF is going on, what people see today available like ChatGPT etc are things that are a lot more advanced than what they can show to the public.

This thing is moving fast people have no idea, they think 5/10 years in tech it's like 5/10 years for " us humans " but it's a lot different....the progress we made in the last 20 years we will make in the nex 5!

But at the end of the day most people are oblivious and it's not something you can stop, as scary as i know it is i'm excited to see what this will become!

The controversial part comes from the fact that we don't know what inteligence really is, if i were to kill an artist, open his brain and see what's inside of it to know how he does what he does, all i'd realize is that he is dead

If you take a baby, he is not " intelligent " for the first part of his life ( like AI ).

He will just try to " reduce the error " meaning that he will try to mess with everything around him, his neurons will fire telling him if something good or happened ( maybe his parents scolded him, or he got hurt by something he touched ).

For an AI all of this could be an error function that tells it " he you did this thing wrong " iterate on that and see what you could have done to not make this mistake ".

Eventually both for the baby and the AI an advanced enough model will be created in their brain/neural network and they will start interacting with things in a " better trained way ".

And yes it takes maybe a lifetime for a baby to become and artist or an engineer, it's the same for AI, they are trained for decades ( again the difference is that with AIs we can squeeze seconds into milliseconds so maybe the 20/30 years for the AI can be squeezed into 1 or less )

The good thing i see in this is that it lowers the learning curve for a lot of things, like imagine if you wanted to learn mathematics / programming, physics WHATEVER, and you could have at your disposal, the smartest " thing " in the world that can answer ALL of your question in 50 different ways from all possible point of views, you can learn things at lightspeed!

I'm already using it to learn new stuff at work and it's mind blowing, things that would take me months to learn, i can learn in weeks or even days!

Whether we like it or not it's gonna come, and it's gonna "" steal "" a lot of our jobs, and we will have to adapt ( cuz there will be VERY FEW jobs that AI can't do better than us in about 10 years from now ) but it will also do good things....hopefully