Questions & Mysteries AOA - Ask Oda Anything

Of all the characters you created. Which design you like the most ?
Of others creators works, which design you like the most ?

Story time :

I asked a good friend not long ago which Fictional character would he choose as a Model, as an example of what he wanted to be as a person.
He choose Goon from Hunter x Hunter because Goon is Really Gentle and like Animals.

Which character would it be for you ?

😓
@Finalbeta : same question too.

Which character would it be for you ?

😳

My question would be a simple one - why did he introduce Foxy/the Davy Back Fight when neither have had any bearing on the plot since then? Almost everyone or everything else that’s happened in the canon has come back or been mentioned in passing after the arc when they were created...as much as I hate Foxy, I think part of it is that I just don’t understand why he exists at all.
In order to create a strong contrast between a funny, relaxed arc without big consequences nor threats and the encounter right after that with Kuzan, one of the strongest characters in verse and the utter helplessness of losing no matter what.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
In order to create a strong contrast between a funny, relaxed arc without big consequences nor threats and the encounter right after that with Kuzan, one of the strongest characters in verse and the utter helplessness of losing no matter what.
Good point, and I get that intellectually, but I don’t come to One Piece for low-stakes storytelling, you know what I mean? Foxy actually has a pretty cool/useful power that nobody else in the story possesses, and it’s just...COMPLETELY wasted on him. I wasn’t joking when I said in another thread that I hope Blackbeard has murdered him and given his DF to one of his crewmates, at least THEN there’d be a tangible reason for him ever appearing in the story instead of just being an annoying (but as you pointed out, somewhat necessary) distraction.

Good point, and I get that intellectually, but I don’t come to One Piece for low-stakes storytelling, you know what I mean? Foxy actually has a pretty cool/useful power that nobody else in the story possesses, and it’s just...COMPLETELY wasted on him. I wasn’t joking when I said in another thread that I hope Blackbeard has murdered him and given his DF to one of his crewmates, at least THEN there’d be a tangible reason for him ever appearing in the story instead of just being an annoying (but as you pointed out, somewhat necessary) distraction.
While I agree it is possible for Foxy to be killed by Blackbeard, I actually enjoyed his short arc. Not only regarding the contrast I referred (which not only includes Kuzan but the whole issue with losing and taking back crewmates in a game with teamwork in comparison to the heavy seriousness of Enies Lobby saga), but I found it interesting how such a weak character did take advantage of his power. I think his Foxy Face Bombs were legit fun, it was nice to see Sanji and Zoro tag teaming, Afro Luffy was a plus, and so on.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
While I agree it is possible for Foxy to be killed by Blackbeard, I actually enjoyed his short arc. Not only regarding the contrast I referred (which not only includes Kuzan but the whole issue with losing and taking back crewmates in a game with teamwork in comparison to the heavy seriousness of Enies Lobby saga), but I found it interesting how such a weak character did take advantage of his power. I think his Foxy Face Bombs were legit fun, it was nice to see Sanji and Zoro tag teaming, Afro Luffy was a plus, and so on.
Afro Luffy was damn near the only thing I enjoyed about the arc, I’ll give you that. Enies Lobby is my favorite arc of the series, so I think this is just a different strokes scenario for you and I. Nothing wrong with a fun, easygoing arc, but that’s not what I felt Foxy’s was...just felt like an irritating diversion from the story I came to read. The challenges felt tedious, the side characters (although the Wotan looked cool) just added to an ever-expanding roster of people increasingly pulling focus away from the SHP, and it’s been long enough - and we’re close enough to the end of the story - that it’s clear nothing about this party of the story matters or connects back to the larger tale overall.

Last edited:
Afro Luffy was damn near the only thing I enjoyed about the arc, I’ll give you that. Enies Lobby is my favorite arc of the series, so I think this is just a different strokes scenario for you and I. Nothing wrong with a fun, easygoing arc, but that’s not what I felt Foxy’s was...just felt like an irritating diversion from the story I came to read. The challenges felt tedious, the side characters (although the Wotan looked cool) just added to an ever-expanding roster of people increasing pulling focus away from the SHP, and it’s been long enough - and we’re close enough to the end of the story - that it’s clear nothing about this party of the story matters or connects back to the larger tale overall.
I think the arc works better if you have access to the volumes and can fastly experiment the contrasts I assume Oda was trying to convey, going from a game in which everybody works together to keep the crew together to a heavy saga where everything falls apart in the worst way ever. Foxy's must be a hard arc to read on a weekly basis because, as you said, is a diversion from the story and feels like a stand alone arc without any relevance in the big picture.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think the arc works better if you have access to the volumes and can fastly experiment the contrasts I assume Oda was trying to convey, going from a game in which everybody works together to keep the crew together to a heavy saga where everything falls apart in the worst way ever. Foxy's must be a hard arc to read on a weekly basis because, as you said, is a diversion from the story and feels like a stand alone arc without any relevance in the big picture.
Yeah, well, look how much the chemistry between the Straw Hats has receded to the back of Oda’s list of priorities...it’s almost as non-existent sometimes as everything related to Foxy. I just read through it recently and really tried to give it a fair shake, but it still doesn’t do anything for me.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Yeah, well, look how much the chemistry between the Straw Hats has receded to the back of Oda’s list of priorities...it’s almost as non-existent sometimes as everything related to Foxy. I just read through it recently and really tried to give it a fair shake, but it still doesn’t do anything for me.
Yep they have seemed like abstract entities in the last times. I miss that unbreakable passion uniting a group of pirates. Like real piracy of the past.