Character Discussion Are You Still upset about Sanjis Role in WCI?

Are you still upset about Sanjis role in WCI?

• Total voters
For those who read in 2017/2018 are you still upset about Sanjis role/portrayal in this arc if you were at all?
This was certainly a very polarizing time for Sanjis character. And the slander was definitely at an all time high, I caught up end of 2017 early 2018 so I know.

This was the beginning of the Oda hates Sanji meme. Which has pretty much died at this point but back then, Sanji couldn't breath without people saying Oda hates him.

Leave Your Thought

Last edited:
No WCI is my favorite arc post TS because of Sanji's treatment during it

(The setting, Luffy vs Katakuri, Big Mom as a villain + her flashback, and the stellar side characters definitely helped though)

I appreciate Sanji's strength and his character so the arc felt like it was made for me. He got decent feats and a lot more focus than he usually does (drought in terms of panel time during/after Dressrosa)

Plus the ending (for me) was phenomenal

The double panel with Zeff at the end solidified it as my favorite arc post TS and that definitely didn't change with Wano lol

:akaman:

I may be alone on this but it's honestly one of the 2-3 arcs post TS that rival pre TS for me

Totally depends on your expectations about arc .
Wci is character devolopment arc for sanji . And was good in terms of it . Also , wci had one of the best theme and character portrayal. Also , we saw not nami princess for the first time in there :))

No

He didn’t need to serve much of a role in WCI. The crew went there to save him. Sanji was there for the wedding, which he found out shortly before was just a plot to kill him and his… biological relatives. (Reiju is the only true one)

What he did near the end of WCI was his peak for that arc. It was mostly character development and backstory.

Same. It was a good twist on the usual arc structure in OP, there was a lot more character work than usual, and the Yonko crew actually felt threatening
Like honestly tho, Big Moms crew was the reason people were excited for Wano and seeing a second “more ferocious” crew. Enraged army really was the peak of making yonko crews (outside of commanders) looking badass.

He had a good role tbh. None of his plot related actions in that arc disappointed me aside from his usual antics. And his past made me sympathetic to him for a moment, but just for him to be a simp again in the next moment.

Fun fact, I didn't like Sanji post-timeskip, then WCI comes in and I was like, "Good for Sanji I guess."

Then after seeing how much Sanji got slandered in this arc to the point of Sanji fans turned into Sanji haters because of that, I be like, "Sigh, looking at all these fake Sanji fans, they never appreciate his character in the first place." This happens at the end of 2017.

Then 2018 hits and I changed my mindset and say, "Ya know what? I'm not hating on Sanji anymore, I would show all these fools what true Sanji fan are." So I started to defend Sanji since 2018 and onward.

While I did initially upset about Sanji's treatment in the first half of WCI, I quickly realized that Sanji's character is not combat-oriented but rather his role as a cook and why it's important.

And that's how I became the greatest Sanji defender in YouTube history.:araboss:No one probably ask for this but I thought it will be cool to share.

As character development goes, I had no issue with that. My gripe was that he did not have a 1 v 1 fight. He is one of Luffy's top fighters and Oda did not even bother writing Sanji having a 1 on 1 fight. He gave Luffy two Sweet Commander fights, but Sanji could not get a single fight. Big Mom's crew was legit with bad asses. I would have been okay with Sanji vs Oven.

Fun fact, I didn't like Sanji post-timeskip, then WCI comes in and I was like, "Good for Sanji I guess."

Then after seeing how much Sanji got slandered in this arc to the point of Sanji fans turned into Sanji haters because of that, I be like, "Sigh, looking at all these fake Sanji fans, they never appreciate his character in the first place." This happens at the end of 2017.
Maybe you were not the real Sanji fan. :doffytroll:
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I don't care about sanji. I never liked him..I was neutral...but he was a creep so never liked him. But no WCI ruined him even more because...oda can't handle character...whats the point of doing a so called "Character development" arc when characters are never focussed in this series. It just ruined him for me....I would expect such arc...even if added...but much earlier in the series...like say in East Blue...but not at later stage of the series making him stupid and a dramatic bitch...not to mention that arc achieved absolutely nothing.

I would've enjoyed an extended 1v1 against Oven or Daifuku but I was content with most of it. Some stuff was iffy but I enjoyed it quite a lot overall. Gave us plenty of cool Sanji moments, along with Oda taking the time to set up Germa to contrast with Sanji to test and ultimately reaffirm Sanji's core attributes.