General & Others Baroque Works Vs Donquixote Pirates

Which you prefer

• Total voters

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Baroque Works because each individual member did more and was given ample screen time. They had fully fleshed out fights and weren't just side pieces or eye candy to flavor up a chapter. Daz Bones is something that none of the Donquixote Family can match up to. Bonclay is something none of the Donquixote Family can match up to. Galdino was a slimey fuck who, I guess, Trebol isn't far off from. He just doesn't have the on screen relationship with any character like Galdino. Nico Robin back then was still more interesting than any individual member of the Family. Doflamingo is excluded from all of this, of course.

Fight wise, I'd still pick the Baroque Works every day of the week, every month of the year. Pica v. Zoro was not satisfying. Diamante in general wasn't satisfying. Trebol didn't do much beyond being a liability to Doflamingo. You have cool gimmicks, like Monet's logia, Senor Pink's swimming fruit or Lao G being a buff old man, a favorite trope of mine. But they're only gimmicks. These characters are too numerous for their own good.

Not to say this is a superior aspect for the Donquixote family, but I did enjoy how there seemed to be a real kinship between them. Baroque Works was a secret organization of pirates and assassins who were constantly hostile towards on another. Seeing the inverse in the New World equivalent was refreshing. Especially from Doflamingo, who let Caesar go so his surrogate grandma wouldn't be executed by Law.

When it comes to the head antagonists? Doflamingo is the better villain and antagonist. But Crocodile's not really bad either. He's just significantly less fleshed out and wasn't used as frequently as Doffy was in Dressrosa. I do think I prefer Crocodile's multiple fights with Luffy over Doffy v. Gear 4th Luffy though. Hype for Boundman aside, it sort of goes stale when it's so one sided and predictable. Doffy's just too hopeless to bring much tension to the fight even with the Awakening reveal. Whereas Crocodile impales, dehydrates and messes Luffy up before their final confrontation and the whole drama about taking Crocodile down is dripping off the arc. It helps we had Vivi for forty or so chapters before Alabasta started, we also liked her compared to Rebecca or Viola.

So, in general, I like Baroque Works more. If I had the option between seeing one of those two groups come back and be major players in the next arc, I wouldn't hesitate to pick Baroque Works.

Baroque Works and it’s not close. They had Nico Robin, Daz Bones, and Bon Clay, some of their lower ranked members weren’t half bad like Galdino (though his best moments happened during Impel Down and the WB War), and even Mr. 4 and Ms. Merry Christmas gave us a really good fight. The DD Pirates may have had Vergo, Monet, and Senor Pink, but there were just too many shit tier members like the Seats, Buffalo, Machvise, Jora, etc to make up for it. And Crocodile > Doflamingo, imo Doflamingo got ruined in Dressrosa.