Rules Berserk General Dicussion

B

Ballel

it will never be as great as the manga.
better to leave it alone tbh,
They are saying the same about Vagabond.
And here I am thinking a Vagabond anime would be great if it is done right. A high budget adaption, hand drawn and no CGI would do Vagabond justice. And I'd just love to see it!

OT: I just started Berserk yesterday. So far... it's gruesome and Guts seems to have some sort of mental trauma/illness.
Don't tell me he was a victim of rape, too...
I'll keep reading and I hope I don't need to drop it for too many rape scenes because I hate this shit. And I'm not sure if I like the fact that Puck is naked and looks like a child...

And here I am thinking a Vagabond anime would be great if it is done right. A high budget adaption, hand drawn and no CGI would do Vagabond justice. And I'd just love to see it!

OT: I just started Berserk yesterday. So far... it's gruesome and Guts seems to have some sort of mental trauma/illness.
I'll keep reading and I hope I don't need to drop it for too many rape scenes because I hate this shit. And I'm not sure if I like the fact that Puck is naked and looks like a child...
There is a fair amount of rape in berserk

:josad:
Sometimes I wonder what must be going on in the mind of authors who write/draw such cruel stories. Especially in those with realistic artstyle where they draw the structure of flesh tearing apart or bowels being ripped out or all layers of skin, flesh, blood vessels and bone of a severed neck.
You might be better dropping Berserk now, tbh. It’s a hell of a dark series and rape/torture/gore are common throughout

he absolutely was :(

B

Ballel

he absolutely was :(
Yeah been reading this chapter. The characters in Berserk all seem to be kinda f*ed up. Either they are psychopatic maniacs, amoral dipshits or the victims of such characters. Or both.
Guts has some toxic, destructive traits too.

There seem to be almost no healthy human relationships in this series.

As of now it seems as if the entire story is mostly about revenge.

The violence imo has a lot of (body)horror elements which makes it less realistic and at the same time more easily to digest. It's rather disgusting and gross than gory.

When I compare it to Vagabond the depiction of violence is very different. There it's more realistic and you actually feel more attached to the victims.
Berserk seems more like a huge surreal nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah been reading this chapter. The characters in Berserk all seem to be kinda f*ed up. Either they are psychopatic maniacs, amoral dipshits or the victims of such characters. Or both.
Guts has some toxic, destructive traits too.
You've completed the Black Swordsman arc and have just started the Golden Age. Just as a head-ups, the intro arc for Berserk is almost universally regarded as the weakest part of the series, whereas the second arc is widely considered one of the best story arcs in manga as a medium.

If you've read Vagabond or Vinland, you've seen scenarios where a character is initially presented in a certain state before progressing out of it/developing. Something very similar happens in Berserk, only the story is bidirectional. It's a long story to explain how Guts progresses to where he is in the Black Swordsman arc, and it's a long story to explain how he progresses out of it.

There seem to be almost no healthy human relationships in this series.
Get hyped my guy. As someone who occasionally reads Shojo/romantic stories, I think the current arc of Berserk has one of if not the best romances I've ever seen in a non-romance/Shojo story. Just be prepared for things to fall apart at the end in the most messed up way possible.

When I compare it to Vagabond the depiction of violence is very different. There it's more realistic and you actually feel more attached to the victims.
I'm very interested to see where you're at by the end of the Golden Age. I agree that on the violence in Vagabond being more realistic, but when it comes to caring about characters I actually have the opposite view, but it's largely based on stuff in Berserk you haven't seen.

Berserk will literally spend over a hundred chapters developing major and minor characters before killing them horrifically, whereas a lot of time characters in Vagabond will just fight and get themselves killed for no reason (for a specific example, think of the group of soldiers who fought Kyoshiro on the mountain at the end of his intro arc .... just cuz- even Inoue admits he didn't really know what he was doing here).

Berserk seems more like a huge surreal nightmare.
I actually think this is a very good/accurate description of the Black Swordsman arc. I'm stealing it.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the series as things go forward. Btw, have you completed Vagabond or Vinland Saga or are you reading one or both with Berserk?

Last edited:
B

Ballel

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the series as things go forward. Btw, have you completed Vagabond or Vinland Saga or are you reading one or both with Berserk?
I've re-read Vagabond multiple times over the last years. Haven't read Vinland saga.

If you've read Vagabond or Vinland, you've seen scenarios where a character is initially presented in a certain state before progressing out of it/developing. Something very similar happens in Berserk, only the story is bidirectional. It's a long story to explain how Guts progresses to where he is in the Black Swordsman arc, and it's a long story to explain how he progresses out of it.
So that means there will be maaany flashbacks? I'm interested in seeing how Guts turned out this way, he's actually sort of an asshole. The way he treats Theresia while seeing her father turn into a disgusting demon and being sucked into hell turned her from an innocent girl to a vengeful crazy b*tch, for example.
, I think the current arc of Berserk has one of if not the best romances I've ever seen in a non-romance/Shojo story.
So you're saying there will be a romantic relationship that does NOT involve rape or abuse?
I'm interested now...
Let me guess... it's Guts×Casca? I hope he won't rape her. Or that noone else rapes her. Well, someone WILL probably rape her, right?:lusalty:
Just be prepared for things to fall apart at the end in the most messed up way possible.
If I have understood anything from Berserk yet it's that things can get very messed up in this series. It's like this author's brain can produce an endless repartoire of messed up shit.

Berserk will literally spend over a hundred chapters developing major and minor characters before killing them horrifically,
It's like Miura wants to torture the readers. What messed up shit has this guy been through?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've re-read Vagabond multiple times over the last years. Haven't read Vinland saga.

So that means there will be maaany flashbacks? I'm interested in seeing how Guts turned out this way, he's actually sort of an asshole. The way he treats Theresia while seeing her father turn into a disgusting demon and being sucked into hell turned her from an innocent girl to a vengeful crazy b*tch, for example.

So you're saying there will be a romantic relationship that does NOT involve rape or abuse?
I'm interested now...
Let me guess... it's Guts×Casca? I hope he won't rape her. Or that noone else rapes her. Well, someone WILL probably rape her, right?:lusalty:

If I have understood anything from Berserk yet it's that things can get very messed up in this series. It's like this author's brain can produce an endless repartoire of messed up shit.

It's like Miura wants to torture the readers. What messed up shit has this guy been through?!
The current flashback you’re reading is 100 chapters.