Best Summon Mechanic in Yugioh

I think XYZ was the last good summoning addition, but I think fusion is the best. Especially with the wide variety of fusion cards that work for all sort of different deck types.
I mean, the same can be said regarding variety for just about every mechanic bar Ritual, where only Nekroz (most cards are banned or limited now lol), Drytron, Mikanko and Megalith are good and playable decks. No, Nouvellez and Impcantations do not count!

My first actual serious deck was a Cyber Dragon deck (classic and probably power cliffed by Now) which used a variety of fusion monsters and cards like power bond, polymerization, and overload fusion
Cyber Dragons have been power crept like crazy - but given their popularity it's only a matter of time before they get more support cards to bring them at least closer to the current power level of the meta
Don't Cyber Dragons have a Link monster too?

Xyz is really not that noteworthy
it's the same kinda spam type gameplay, synchros before them were using with no real substantive difference in how they can be used

unlike with pendulums or links
The XYZ card design is very fair and simple to understand, but not completely simple to the point where it's uninteresting. Matching levels was a completely new take on materials required for extra deck summons and the use of materials to trigger effects is a great way to stop them being completely overpowered. There's a reason they are the type of monster with the least banned cards (Synchro's might have fewer now Denglong is unbanned, idk) - it's because they're the most well designed on a basic level across the board.

I understand the critique of Syncrhos though, they're pretty much just Ritual monsters but replace the spell with a Tuner

The problem with Pendulums is they are overcomplicated. The problem with both Links and Pendulums is their usage changes with every master rule which makes a lot of card text on these cards come in and out of relevance. There was a time Pendulums never went to the extra deck. There was a time you had to play Link monsters to access the rest of your extra deck (which was incredibly unpopular) - and they're also the reasons I dislike them. The arrows on Links is a great mechanic which is underutilised in newer monsters though

Xyz rival freaking Links in the number of cards on the ban lost. By far, the most successful mechanic in this game long term.

Heck, the current meta deck in the TCG is Kashtira, an Xyz deck

Xyz rival freaking Links in the number of cards on the ban lost. By far, the most successful mechanic in this game long term.

Heck, the current meta deck in the TCG is Kashtira, an Xyz deck
Ignoring Zoodiac, how many are banned? In the current meta the only XYZ staple is Zeus

Yes, but Kashtira isn't so oppressive that it suffocates the meta. Arise-Heart is a very well designed boss monster - Kash is good because of Unicorn, Fenrir and Theosis, the XYZ monsters are just along for the ride. You can still top events playing Branded (Fusion deck), Purrely (XYZ), Labrynth (limited use of extra deck), Dino (limited use of extra deck) etc. etc.

Unlike Tear format... now that just went to show the design limits of fusions.
Post automatically merged:

Well you'll already understand Synchros then since it's basically the same thing but you need a Tuner monster instead of a spell

Ignoring Zoodiac, how many are banned? In the current meta the only XYZ staple is Zeus

Yes, but Kashtira isn't so oppressive that it suffocates the meta. Arise-Heart is a very well designed boss monster - Kash is good because of Unicorn, Fenrir and Theosis, the XYZ monsters are just along for the ride. You can still top events playing Branded (Fusion deck), Purrely (XYZ), Labrynth (limited use of extra deck), Dino (limited use of extra deck) etc. etc.

Well you'll already understand Synchros then since it's basically the same thing but you need a Tuner monster instead of a spell
Just have to wait for the light duelists pack to be announced in the meantime I have my suspicions who’s going to be on the cover.

Shock Master, True King of all Calamities, Rhongomyniad, Azathoth, Utopic Zexal, Galaxy Tomahawk, Galaxy Eyes Dark Matter Dragon, etc

There’s quite an impressive number of Xyz monsters still banned

Shock Master, True King of all Calamities, Rhongomyniad, Azathoth, Utopic Zexal, Galaxy Tomahawk, Galaxy Eyes Dark Matter Dragon, etc

There’s quite an impressive number of Xyz monsters still banned
I completely forgot half of these cards existed!

That being said I reckon about half of them could come back to unlimited and we wouldn't notice - only Rhongo in jank decks and then Tomohawk would see play. True King might get some spotlight in some kind of Generaider/True King decks but that would be it

Tribute summon is still the best, the others made the game faster but there's little to no tactics anymore and everything is about OTKs
gotta say I disagree - the game is just far more about understanding when and how to interact with your opponents, rather than just labbing your own strategies

There's also far more relevant and diverse decks now than way back when Rituals, Fusions and Tributes were pretty much all you could do. It was almost always Clown Control and then became Chaos and a million variants using 30 of the same cards. I think the game's actually gone too far the other way and become very complicated when it didn't need to be. Once Pendulums were brought in I think it went too far the other way

Last edited:
The XYZ card design is very fair and simple to understand, but not completely simple to the point where it's uninteresting.
Matching levels is very simple
it's insanely so and it's quite uninteresting as a result

Synxhros added a whole card type ie tuners
and because you add up the levels to make the synchro, you need to have some awareness of what cards to summon

with xyz, it's just brain dead
you know full well for every card, it's two lv 4s or two lv 3 or whatever else

There's a reason they are the type of monster with the least banned cards (Synchro's might have fewer now Denglong is unbanned, idk) - it's because they're the most well designed on a basic level across the board.
The ban list is not generally reflective of what cards are insanely broken and which ones are not
lol

Unless your saying stratos is anywhere near as good as some of the more recent cards

99 percent of these cards are entirely dated

Yata even got unbanned at a recent point and nobody has been beating it
cause yugioh follows digimon and dbz logic each new set needs a new more powerful form for the tcg to use and because of that weaker forms are no longer relevant

And while that may be fun to watch in a tv show for that to work in a game just means next to no player input which is kinda important in a video game