Can online friends be real friends?

A
Online friends friends CAN be Real friends IMO.
i’m still in touch with a lot of the people i met online, we catch up every 3-4 weeks about the latest events of our lives. I have many online Friends that I talked to via discord and via skype.

most Of the times people are open minded to becoming real friends from my experience.

what are your thoughts about this?

Melontonin

Blood Manipulation
I would be inclined to say, probably not.

Meeting people in person really solidifies a relationship, plus it's much easier to stay in contact. You can definitely have fun online with others but it's not the same, or time passes and you lose contact.

But maybe it's because I only started having online relationships 2 years ago.

Edit: I've only been here for 3 weeks and I'm already really emotional about how welcoming this community is. Admins/mods and everyone that has been so sweet to me thank you, it's deeply appreciated and I hope I give back in equal or more amounts.

Last edited:
Ok kids, the answer is: yes.

Just because you can't see each other in person doesn't mean they can't be there for you. And, then you will probably eventually meet anyways.

I have a great friend whom I've never met in person, but I consider him just as close as my other friends, for eight years already. And we helped each other through some tough times, had lots of laughs. It's the same as friends near me.

L
I would be inclined to say, probably not.

Meeting people in person really solidifies a relationship, plus it's much easier to stay in contact. You can definitely have fun online with others but it's not the same, or time passes and you lose contact.

But maybe it's because I only started having online relationships 2 years ago.

Edit: I've only been here for 3 weeks and I'm already really emotional about how welcoming this community is. Admins/mods and everyone that has been so sweet to me thank you, it's deeply appreciated and I hope I give back in equal or more amounts.
They better have been nice to you or heads would’ve rolled :lusalty::endthis:
But honestly, this place is a very nice one. People here are fun and very friendly and they know how to take a joke. I will be honest, I was worried you might not like it here but I’m glad you do.
On topic, online friends will never go past that imo unless you meet them.

There are two users kind of active at MyAnimeList, Blutsauger and Yaana. We know each other from back in 2008 in INPforums. Ever since INPforums shutdown in 2012, I tried to get in contact with many users of INPforums. Only Blutsauger and Yaana I have contact with them via Skype, Discord and MAL. Are they friends? They are family to me.

I miss a lot of guys from INP.
RaMi
_Peksi
-_CreepeR_-
Faceless
Invid
NeoX
xMagiciansBlade
J_A pirate
Animeace
Wattup

... there many names I forgot.

not really they can be your friends but tgey
won’t be real friends until you meet them irl most people have a completely different personality than they have online

tbh i don’t have REAL friends they are class mates who i share interest with but i don’t trust them one bit one time they got out and didn’t invite me and when i called them out one of them(and i got this guy into one piece) said “they forgot i existed and that i should have talked more in the group chat so they can remember” but the saddest part is that is the realistic answer that nobody said

until i graduate high school i’m stuck with these people after that i’m going to look for real friends

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Define real for me?

To me real friends mean

Whom I can trust

Who raises my confidence

With whom I can have fun, can share things without getting judged

Who stands beside me and doesn't back stab me

And so on.....

Imo the implicit meaning behind "Real Friends " is having someone who is "Real and True to you" which is possible even online

So yes online friends can be "Real Friends"

But online friends do have communication or distance barrier to some extent.

So,meeting in person solidify this relation as you get to spend time with each other and it helps in building more trust, chemistry , compatibility and helps understand someone better.

In short, there is no hard yes or no answer to this question.

It ultimately depends on you and how you like to carry on the relation.