Powers & Abilities Characters strength and peak in relation to their age

Do you think Age has connection to a character strength/peak

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
I think age is a very good indicator in OP on how character is and should perform strength wise , you can make a lot of comparisons and parallels (some exceptions to this would be the giants i guess)

I would say there's clear 4 stages in One Piece :

- 0-30 : Development phase
- 30-60 : Peak Phase
- 60+ : Winding down and becoming washed up

And to put in context somes examples with notables characters it would be :

0-30 (Development phase)
- Kozuki Momonosuke (8 yo)

- Koby (18 yo)
- Usopp (19 yo)
- Monkey D. Luffy (19 yo)

- Portgas D. Ace (20 yo when he died)
- Page One (20 yo)
- Roronoa Zoro (21 yo)
- Vinsmoke Sanji (21yo)
- Sabo (22 yo)
- Ulti (22 yo)
- Eustass Kidd (23 yo)
- Jewerly Bonney (24 yo)
- Kaku (25 yo)
- Traflagar Water D. Law (26 yo)
- Killer (27 yo)
- Van Augur (27 yo)
- Doc Q (28 yo)
- Jack (28 yo)
- Yamato (28 yo)
- Jesus Burgess (29 yo)

30-60 (Peak Phase)
- Rob Lucci (30 yo)
- Charlotte Snack (30 yo)
- Boa Hancock (31 yo)
- Basil Hawkins (31 yo)
- Scratchmen Apoo (31 yo)
- X.Drake (33 yo)
- Lucky Roo (35 yo)
- Charlotte Smoothie (35 yo)
- Edward Weevil (35 yo)
- Smoker (36 yo)
- Catarina Devon (36 yo)
- Vasco Shot (38 yo)
- Kozuki Oden (39 yo when he died)
- Buggy (39 yo)
- Shanks (39 yo)

- Marshall D. Teach / BlackBeard (40 yo)
- Laffitte (41 yo)
- Donquixote Doflamingo (41 yo)
- Avalo Pizzaro (42 yo)
- Jozu (42 yo)
- Capone Bege (42 yo)
- Dracule Mihawk (43 yo)
- Shiryu (44 yo)
- Charlotte Cracker (45 yo)
- Urouge (47 yo)
- Marco (45 yo)
- Jinbe (46 yo)
- Crocodile (46 yo)
- Vista (47 yo)
- Yasopp (47 yo)
- Bartholomew Kuma (47 yo)
- Charlotte Katakuri (48 yo)
- Charlotte Daifuku (48 yo)
- Charlotte Oven (48 yo)
- Kuzan / Aokiji (49 yo)

- Kaido/King/Queen (probably around here)
- Gecko Moria (50 yo)
- Charlotte Perespero (50 yo)
- Benn Beckmen (50 yo)
- Gol D. Roger (53 yo when he died)
- Ivankov (53 yo)
- Issho (54 yo)
- Sakazuki / Akainu (55 yo)
- Monkey D. Dragon (55 yo)
- Borsalino / Kizaru (58 yo)

60+ (Winding down)
- Charlotte LinLin / Big Mom (68 yo)
- Edward Newgate / WhiteBeard (72 yo when he died)
- Tsuru (76 yo)
- Silvers Rayleigh (78 yo)
- Monkey D. Garp (78 yo)
- Sengoku (79 yo)

it's actually incredible that Luffy at 19 years old is challenging and considered as 5th Emperor at insanely young age compared to every other top tier and he will probably end the series at his 20s beating ppl like Sakazuki and Teach at their prime cause i don't think we getting 10 years timeskip for Luffy to get to his prime ...

So do you guys view people's strength approximately based on their age

Last edited:
forgot to mention that obviously not everyone is born at the same power level so using simple power level 1-100 if a normal human is born at level 1 and peaks at 5 , someone like Big Mom was born at power 20 and peaked in 90+

And you could be born normal humans but the path of development you take could change you , so obvious examples would be :

- Luffy/Zoro/Sanji compared to other SHs early in the series were being called monsters while Usopp/Chopper/Nami were calling themselves normal humans .. we later learn that Luffy/Sanji has been trained when they were child in really tough conditions making them the way they are and we've seen Zoro train hard when he was a kid but we still don't know his full story

- Buggy/Shanks is a really obvious one too :
- Both started as apprentice in the Roger Pirates and they were really comparable
- At the age of 15 they both separated after the death of Roger , Buggy chose to stay in East Blue the weakest sea and spend the next 22 years chilling meanwhile Shanks in that time travelled all 4 Seas and gathered his crew and duel'd with the strongest Swordsman in the world Mihawk which gave Shanks his reputation
- And here we are , both 39 years old at their peak but one is a monstrous Emperor of the sea and the other one is a Red Haired fraud (hehe)

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Age matters but also what you do matters too.

For exemple Urouge. Urouge is 47. He began his serious pirate career only few years ago and became a SN at Sabaody like evryone else.

He was already old : 45y. And during 2 years he has likely become a lot stronger (beating Snack).

So even if Urouge was already "old" he grew a lot. Because he experienced new things, because he was "low" power wise (had much to learn), he put himself into danger, and had the will to grow stronger and fight.

Current Urouge can likely destroy pre skip one.

But I think that if Urouge had that type of will years ago when he was 20y he could have been stronger than now, because he would have more time to grow.

Urouge peak will be shorter than most because he is strong at 47/48 because when he will have 70 or so he will began to decline. And his peak will be lower because he began quite late.

So for me :

A 45 years old Urouge that put himself into danger and began his pirate life at 20 > Current 47 Urouge > 45y Urouge

Lets take an other exemple : Akainu

At MF he was already in his 50s so prime time, and was already a monster : an admiral. He was a "master" of haki, of his df, of fighting skills etc. Solid top tier. You can say okay the guy is at the top and already in the last time of prime self. So no more grow for him.

But he fought Aokiji for 10 days (so almost dead equal) and managed to beat him during the last one. I think with this figt he grew stronger. His haki, will, and power were challenged and he had to surpass himself to beat Ao and becoming FA.

So even at 50s I think Akainu is in his real peak now as a FA.

So age matters because you have more time to grow and so can access to a higher selling if you put yourself into danger. But you can be strong even in your late days with a lower selling. And you can become stronger even in your prime if you still put yourself into danger, train and challenge yourself. And obviously past 70s you start to become weaker (but if the mind and will are still up there you don't decline too much).

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Nice thread

I would say that biologically speaking power decreases as soon as we hit our 40s. We even lose height due spine compression and our muscular mass starts to decrease.

Now this is a shonen so I can see this happening later. How much? No way to know imo.

My personal bet is at least by 50s, so that is why the likes of Akainu are still in their prime while the likes of Garp are no more in their prime. :)

It would be interesting to ask such a question to Oda personally. Not sure if anyone ever did.

So age matters because you have more time to grow and so can access to a high selling if you put yourself into danger. But you can be strong even in your late days with a lower selling. And you can become stronger even in your prime if you still put yourself into danger, train and challenge yourself. And obviously past 70s you start to become weaker (but if the mind and will are still up there you don't decline too much).

yep really good way of putting it , this is the same way I explained/thought of Buggy/Shanks both were comparable at the start but Shanks had the will to challenge himself and grow stronger while Buggy chilled and sat back

and while Buggy could become strong enough for New World standards rn if he tried he would never have the ceiling of Shanks

BM is 68 and still in her prime.
WB was 72 and had already declined.

Nobody has the same body.
there's no way someone is thinking Big Mom is at her prime , just because she's a monster of nature and was born above the normal level and her "winding down" is still at a monstrous level ... that doesn't mean this is her prime

if i had to guess her prime is after Roger's execution so 24 years ago and rn she's for sure weaker than she's used to be

Age is relative.
(Is that the word? I've been forgetting how to speak English lately)

What applies to some people doesn't in others, even in One Piece. Like @Extravlad said, no-one has the same body. Other factors like will power also count in peoples' strengths.

E.g. The version of Moriah who fought Kaido decades ago in the past was a lot stronger that the version of Moriah the straw hats were fighting in Thriller Bark.

E.g.2: Crocodile was likely stronger in the past, when he fought Whitebeard and lost, compared to Crocodile in Alabasta who got owned by a rookie no-one heard of.

E.g.3: I might even argue that Buggy hasn't even gotten an inch stronger than he was, when he was part of Roger's crew 20 or so years ago.

You can argue that she's not stronger than ever, but there's no indication of a decline. Between her unique physiology and soul powers (what happens when she steals a lifespan but doesn't create homies? One of the most vague and overpowered fruits for sure) there's no real telling. Garp, Chinjao, Ray, and I think Sengoku conceded age. Shiki, Zeff, and Whitebeard had obvious issues. Big Mom thinks the time is now to take over the world.

40-60 should be about peak, given that skill and Haki combine to make such a big deal.

It is important but it is way less relevant than the importance of a character. To make an example Luffy, Sabo, Zoro etc. Are all young and important for the story while if we don't look at importance we have for example characters like Dellinger who are extremely strong for their age yet they will never fulfill that kind of pitential cause they are almost irrelevant for the plot of the story. Another example is Goten in Dragonball, he could have become way stronger than his father and brother yet his importance is less than them so nope.

it obviously has.
the age range if quite big though and even old individuals are still at prime strength.
Sengoku looked perfectly fine at MF and see what 2 more years have done to him.

prime age can go up to 70+ in OP.

as to when a character reaches their prime I am very conflicted. Zoro and Luffy may reach it ~20y of age.
normally I would have thought that its ~25-30. WB was at 36 (or 38, idk right now).

Surely age has relationship with strength.
But I don't think it is a rigid relationship.

How age take effect to strength are different for each individual.

Some people has early peak while the others are late bloomer, even in OP world.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
BM is 68 and still in her prime.
WB was 72 and had already declined.

Nobody has the same body.
Is BM really in her Prime however?

I mean we have no proof and no proof of the contrary I suppose. Perhaps we can take into account the fact her dominium in the new world was never shattered, but that still would not solve the query.

But you are right, it's universally known how bodies ain't all the same.
Post automatically merged:

Wonder what @Rosella.Fiamingo thinks of this.

Age is relative.
(Is that the word? I've been forgetting how to speak English lately)

What applies to some people doesn't in others, even in One Piece. Like @Extravlad said, no-one has the same body. Other factors like will power also count in peoples' strengths.

E.g. The version of Moriah who fought Kaido decades ago in the past was a lot stronger that the version of Moriah the straw hats were fighting in Thriller Bark.

E.g.2: Crocodile was likely stronger in the past, when he fought Whitebeard and lost, compared to Crocodile in Alabasta who got owned by a rookie no-one heard of.

E.g.3: I might even argue that Buggy hasn't even gotten an inch stronger than he was, when he was part of Roger's crew 20 or so years ago.

i agree with Gecko , he's an extremely weird case where it feels like he doesn't even have the will to improve and is literally the embodiement of laziness to go from this
to this

But even then i dont think both these cases of Croco and Moria were straight weaker especially for Croco who both got washed when fought an Emperor and both instead of learning from that experience and training to get better instead tried to find other ways to bridge that gap (Croco with Pluton and Moria with Oars)

the age range if quite big though and even old individuals are still at prime strength.
Sengoku looked perfectly fine at MF and see what 2 more years have done to him.

prime age can go up to 70+ in OP.

we haven't seen a single character (Giants excluded obviously) that's above 70 and yet considered at peak level.

Sengoku or Garp or Newgate and now LinLin are simply monsters of nature and just because their washed up state/version is as strong as other top tier (King or Marco or Kata ...) and look perfectly fine in these fights doesn't mean that they hadn't had peaks higher than that ... it just speaks for how monstrous they are

it also reminds me of the conversation between Rayleigh and Kizaru where Rayleigh said if he was younger (at his peak) he would've done more to help the SH implying taking on an Admiral and Warlord at the same time but even when he wasn't at his peak (a remarque Kizaru said after) he was still able to hold an Admiral by himself
Post automatically merged:

Last edited: