Character Discussion Coby is going to be Luffys rival based on the fact that he ties to being classified as the earth diety.

Do you refer Coby to the Luffy generation and Smoker to the Fujitora generation?
Unfortunately, at the moment, Luffy and Smoker are much closer to each other than Luffy and Coby. Luffy and Coby are not rivals or friends. I think Coby will become an admiral in the future, and I want it. But their relationship with Luffy is a huge disappointment.
1. By definition of what the word rival means you made zero sense. Smoker has no direct ties to luffy or as inspirations in surpassing him specifically. So the example is trash.

2. Smoker is not within the same generation as luffy hence why any around Smoker's age whom is of any relevance from a power standpoint in this show is already a high tier or a top tier. Smoker is neither while fuji is. Fun fact the difference between smoker and fuji in age is actually smaller than the age difference between smoker and luffy lol. There is a 17 year difference between fuji and smoker while there is an 18 year difference between smoker and luffy in age.

3. Luffy has insisted that him and coby are friends. They both acknowledge each other as friends. Zoro states that he is also friends with coby however coby is closer with luffy. So you either didn't read early one piece or you bullshitting.

4. Coby is also luffys rival since luffy instructed coby to become an admiral since he would have to be that at minimum to even stand a chance in capturing him (luffy) in the future. Luffy has said no such thing to smoker. Upon stating that coby should become strong luffy then tells zoro that coby is a man of his word with zoro insisting that luffy has inspired/made a future powerful enemy lol.

Last edited:
1. By definition of what the word rival means you made zero sense. Smoker has no direct ties to luffy or as inspirations in surpassing him specifically. So the example is trash.

2. Smoker is not within the same generation as luffy hence why any around Smoker's age whom is of any relevance from a power standpoint in this show is already a high tier or a top tier. Smoker is neither while fuji is. Fun fact the difference smoker and fuji in age is actually bigger than the age difference between smoker and luffy lol. There is a 17year difference between fuji and smoker while there is an 18 year difference between smoker and luffy in age.

3. Luffy has insisted that him and coby are friends. They both acknowledge each other as friends. Zoro states that he is also friends with coby however coby is closer with luffy. So you either didn't read early one piece or you bullshitting.

4. Coby is also luffys rival since luffy instructed coby to become an admiral since he would have to be that at minimum to even stand a chance in capturing him (luffy) in the future. Luff has said no such thing to smoker. Upon stating that coby should become strong luffy then tells zoro that coby is a man of his word with zoro insisting that luffy has inspired/made a future powerful enemy lol.
When it comes to Coby you sound like a blind fanatic. Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that Coby's strength and his relationship with Luffy or Garp is more important to you than his own personality.

When it comes to Coby you sound like a blind fanatic. Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that Coby's strength and his relationship with Luffy or Garp is more important to you than his own personality.
Cool. True may be a fanatic. However learned in life that the only thing that matter are facts. What you stated were things that were based on your feelings that were not backed by facts. The defintion of rival, the fact that rivals are typically friends or friendly to each other in nature, the fact that instinctly rivals need to have a measure of admiration for each hence what made then rivals in the first place, the fact that coby is classified as luffs friend and vice versa, the fact that luffy admits that the dude will be stronger and looks foward to seeing his growth supercededs Smoker's role by miles. That sir is simply pure cold hard facts. Now will he ever be luffys equal on power? Maybe or maybe not. Is he luffys level currently? Ofcourse not. However being a rival is not predicated on being someone's equal. It's predicated on WANTING to be someone's equal/ or SURPASSING person in time. Hence why in every anime and mamga that exists in every rivalry there is someone weaker or much weaker and someone stronger or much stronger in the equation lol

Do you refer Coby to the Luffy generation and Smoker to the Fujitora generation?
Unfortunately, at the moment, Luffy and Smoker are much closer to each other than Luffy and Coby. Luffy and Coby are not rivals or friends. I think Coby will become an admiral in the future, and I want it. But their relationship with Luffy is a huge disappointment.
Gotta say it's incredibly absurd to say Luffy and Koby aren't friends.
Just read their interactions in Romance Dawn, the way Luffy thought about him in Baratie, their casual/laughing interactions in post-enies Lobby.
They're clearly friends in a way that Smoker and Luffy aren't
Not that Luffy and Smoker aren't close in other ways or that Luffy doesn't care about Smoker which a lot of Koby stans are in deep denial of.

Just read their interactions in Romance Dawn, the way Luffy thought about him in Baratie, their casual/laughing interactions in post-enies Lobby.
Not that Luffy and Smoker aren't close in other ways or that Luffy doesn't care about Smoker which a lot of Koby stans are in deep denial of.
You see this. This right is what I call logic. This man is a smoker fan (no issue with that at all). Me and him may be at odds in reference to whom we prefer more out of the two but at the end of the day he atleast has and presents logical reasons why he prefers smoker. And me the biggest coby fan (self proclaimed lol) has to respect that 100 percent.

You see this. This right is what I call logic. This man is a smoker fan (no issue with that at all). Me and him may be at odds in reference to whom we prefer more out of the two but at the end of the day he atleast has and presents logical reasons why he prefers smoker. And me the biggest coby fan (self proclaimed lol) has to respect that 100 percent.
I prefer Ko by smh
Tied with Bellamy for my favorite character in the entire series.
I just deeeeeply disagree with a lot of your takes on him and Smoker and love Smoker as well so I have ended up spending most of the last few years of my fandom not expressing my Koby fandom as much as I used to.

I prefer Ko by smh
Tied with Bellamy for my favorite character in the entire series.
I just deeeeeply disagree with a lot of your takes on him and Smoker and love Smoker as well so I have ended up spending most of the last few years of my fandom not expressing my Koby fandom as much as I used to.
Honestly no problem disagreeing. You have your reasons. As well as I have mines lol. Regardless though I think we can both agree that oda did not do a good job emphasizing or reminding us current about the importance of both. He is semi doing it now with the whole coby ,garp, blackbeard ,luffy, xebec parallel connection but it's so late within the story. To add oda should have introduced smoker whopping luccis ass showcasing both having awakening

Cool. True may be a fanatic. However learned in life that the only thing that matter are facts. What you stated were things that were based on your feelings that were not backed by facts. The defintion of rival, the fact that rivals are typically friends or friendly to each other in nature, the fact that instinctly rivals need to have a measure of admiration for each hence what made then rivals in the first place, the fact that coby is classified as luffs friend and vice versa, the fact that luffy admits that the dude will be stronger and looks foward to seeing his growth supercededs Smoker's role by miles. That sir is simply pure cold hard facts. Now will he ever be luffys equal on power? Maybe or maybe not. Is he luffys level currently? Ofcourse not. However being a rival is not predicated on being someone's equal. It's predicated on WANTING to be someone's equal/ or SURPASSING person in time. Hence why in every anime and mamga that exists in every rivalry there is someone weaker or much weaker and someone stronger or much stronger in the equation lol
No, I see friendship differently. Friendship is not a relationship between a fan and an idol. Friendship is equality. Instead of admiring Coby and Helmeppo's true friendship, the fandom tries to see the friendship between Coby and Luffy. Coby and Luffy are not close. Smoker and Luffy are much closer. And I didn't call Smoker and Luffy friends. However, they are close.
Post automatically merged:

You only respect opinions that you agree with. It has nothing to do with genuine respect. Even though I actually feel like I love Coby a lot more than you)

Last edited:
No, I see friendship differently. Friendship is not a relationship between a fan and an idol. Friendship is equality. Instead of admiring Coby and Helmeppo's true friendship, the fandom tries to see the friendship between Coby and Luffy. Coby and Luffy are not close. Smoker and Luffy are much closer. And I didn't call Smoker and Luffy friends. However, they are close.
Dumb logic.

Idol: a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered

Your logic is dumb since it also applies to luffy since he literally has chased the dream of wanting to be and surpass Shanks. Shanks was literally his role model/idol (still is) as stated by garp. Yet luffy still aims to surpass shanks.

luffy and coby are close hence luffys dialouge with zoro

Both luffy and zoro have absolute faith in his ability to keep his word on becoming strong to the point that zoro stated that luffy may have created a future powerful adversary.

The other reason as to why your point is dumb is because of the fact that luffy calls sabo ace and his Crew members by name. He also calls coby by his name. Coby is the only marine that luffy respects enough to call by name. And oda shits on your bs logic by confirming that luffy only refers to allies/friends by their actual name when he finds them to be very close to him:

One fan even sent a mail to Oda regarding the reason why Luffy never give his crew any nicknames. On One Piece manga volume 96 which released at the end of March in Japan, Oda replied to the question, by saying why Luffy never give nicknames to his crew/allies due to the strong bond and friendship with him and the others.

Luffy has never once addressed Smoker as smoker. However luffy has always respected coby enough to only refer to him by his actual name.

Last edited:

You only respect opinions that you agree with. It has nothing to do with genuine respect. Even though I actually feel like I love Coby a lot more than you)
I see what you're saying.
I just really enjoy the way Luffy and Koby casually exist with each other, the familiarity of their relationship.
The chapter where they part ways is even titled "Friends."
Like from Luffy's end when he wonders how Koby was doing as a choreboy and when he was a busboy; that felt like a friend thing to me.
Or Luffy/Helmeppo/Koby just laughing and swapping stories, it warms my heart.
I genuinely cannot call Smoker and Luffy closer; I think they're equivalently close but in different ways.
Two special connections.
That said- I can never be accused of not loving Helmeppo and make sure to include Kobymeppo in my top five friendships in the series routinely.
It's not secondary to his friendship with Luffy and supersedes it in multiple regards.
I'm very invested in Helmeppo finally having his time to shine in the approaching endgame/him laying it all on the line for his bestie/brother.

I see what you're saying.
I just really enjoy the way Luffy and Koby casually exist with each other, the familiarity of their relationship.
The chapter where they part ways is even titled "Friends."
Like from Luffy's end when he wonders how Koby was doing as a choreboy and when he was a busboy; that felt like a friend thing to me.
Or Luffy/Helmeppo/Koby just laughing and swapping stories, it warms my heart.
I genuinely cannot call Smoker and Luffy closer; I think they're equivalently close but in different ways.
Two special connections.
That said- I can never be accused of not loving Helmeppo and make sure to include Kobymeppo in my top five friendships in the series routinely.
It's not secondary to his friendship with Luffy and supersedes it in multiple regards.
I'm very invested in Helmeppo finally having his time to shine in the approaching endgame/him laying it all on the line for his bestie/brother.
Bruh I don't know what to say. That was actually poetic. The hell.... you've changed. The respect to helmeppo was dope

Dumb logic.

Idol: a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered

Your logic is dumb since it also applies to luffy since he literally has chased the dream of wanting to be and surpass Shanks. Shanks was literally his role model/idol (still is) as stated by garp. Yet luffy still aims to surpass shanks.

luffy and coby are close hence luffys dialouge with zoro

Both luffy and zoro have absolute faith in his ability to keep his word on becoming strong to the point that zoro stated that luffy may have created a future powerful adversary.

The other reason as to why your point is dumb is because of the fact that luffy calls sabo ace and his Crew members by name. He also calls coby by his name. Coby is the only marine that luffy respects enough to call by name. And oda shits on your bs logic by confirming that luffy only refers to allies/friends by their actual name when he finds them to be very close to him:

One fan even sent a mail to Oda regarding the reason why Luffy never give his crew any nicknames. On One Piece manga volume 96 which released at the end of March in Japan, Oda replied to the question, by saying why Luffy never give nicknames to his crew/allies due to the strong bond and friendship with him and the others.

Luffy has never once addressed Smoker as smoker. However luffy has always respected coby enough to only refer to him by his actual name.

The Shanks example is terrible. Firstly, their relationship is completely different. Secondly, Luffy admired him in a completely different way than Coby admires Luffy. Thirdly, Luffy and Shanks are not friends. Your name example looks like desperation. I prefer to analyze that , which I see, and not take all the notes of the author seriously. Smoker's nickname is more of an endearment. And I have an assumption that Smoker will join the team, and then Luffy will fully pronounce his name. Maybe everything was designed for this. However, I will remind you that Luffy got so close to Smoker (said that he is a good person) that he made him blush. It was a moment of genuine respect. Another example is that Luffy promised to fight him. And most importantly, I never said that Luffy didn't respects Coby. Shanks respects Luffy and Luffy respects Coby.

The Shanks example is terrible. Firstly, their relationship is completely different. Secondly, Luffy admired him in a completely different way than Coby admires Luffy. Thirdly, Luffy and Shanks are not friends. Your name example looks like desperation. I prefer to analyze that , which I see, and not take all the notes of the author seriously. Smoker's nickname is more of an endearment. And I have an assumption that Smoker will join the team, and then Luffy will fully pronounce his name. Maybe everything was designed for this. However, I will remind you that Luffy got so close to Smoker (said that he is a good person) that he made him blush. It was a moment of genuine respect. Another example is that Luffy promised to fight him. And most importantly, I never said that Luffy didn't respects Coby. Shanks respects Luffy and Luffy respects Coby.
True.
Smokey is a term of endearment/deliberate name.

1. Bullshit. Their admiration came from the fact that they respected someone strong. Only difference is that luffy followed the path of the pirate like Shanks while coby admired luffy but followed the path of a marine.

2. Shanks has literally called luffy his friend etc. Same with luffy so again bullshit.

3. Not taking the author of his own story at his word is bullshit lol. The creator of onepiece oda has complete and utter authority over how his story is dictated. What ever he says ins gospel in reference to his manga. Your opinion will never overule what oda has set in stone within his own story

4. Assumption? So you are arguing facts with hypothesis and speculation? Cute.

5. Never said that you said he doesn't respect coby. I am saying that that respect comes from both being friends hence the actual manga title when they separated lol

6. So luffy blushed to smoker? Cool now the whole "coby blushing to luffy" as an argument as to why he can't be his rival is even more bullshit now lol

Ok. But I'm not a bro, bc I'm girl
Cool thanks for the correction

1. Bullshit. There admiration came from the fact that they respected someone strong. Only.difference is that luffy followed the path of the pirate like Shanks while coby admired luffy but followed the path of a marine.

2. Shanks has literally called luffy his friend etc. Same with luffy so again bullshit.

3. Note taking the author of his own story is bullshit lol. The creator of onepiece oda has complete and utter authority over how his story is dictated. What ever he says ins gospel in reference to his manga.

4. Assumption? So you are arguing facts with hypothesis and speculation? Cute.

5. Never said that you said he doesn't respect coby. I am saying that that respect comes from both being friends hence the actual manga title when they separated lol

6. So luffy blushed to smoker? Cool now the whole "coby blushing to luffy" as an argument as to why he can't be his rival is even more bullshit now lol

Cool thanks for the correction
Ok-ok. Everything I write is bullshit and dumb logic. You are right. As always.