Episode Discussion Controversial Opinion(?): S4E1 Was Fantastic, and the New Animation Studio Did A Great Job

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Let me start off by posting the exact scene I’m referring to:

In my humble opinion, this episode was thrilling and really got me excited to start Season 4. I was hearing controversial things about the new studio and the animation changes and such, but imo this scene was extremely well done and I can’t wait to keep progressing into the rest of the Season. I feel like I should explain that a little more so here goes:

Do I think Season 4’s animation was better than the prior Seasons? No. Different, sure, but not better or worse necessarily. Seasons 1&2 of AOT in my opinion have the best 2D animation I’ve seen in anime, even better than some anime films. Especially Season 2. Season 3 had stellar moments as well but the animation quality noticeable dipped in certain places. With this episode, I felt that the animation, whether it was 2D or 3D or a combination of both, was very good overall. Not quite reaching the highs of the prior season but certainly much better than the low moments of Season 3. I would prefer a consistently good mix of 2D and 3D animation, to 2D animation that is stellar in places but average most of the time, which was the case in Season 3.

I really like that this Episode changed up the lighting patterns that were present in the prior seasons. Seasons 1-3 had very dramatic and colorful lighting that matched its lofty&adventurous tone, but this Season has more bland lighting which is more consistent with the way the show is presenting War so far-as being gritty, violent, and quite frankly terrible. This series is trying to present War in a similar way to how a World War 2 film might present the terrible and violent nature of war, and I love it.

Attack on Titan is the only instance of me actually preferring an Anime to its Manga, and so far that hasn’t changed with Season 4(even though I’m only one episode in lmfao). I thought the whole basement Marley reveal was actually one of the most brilliant story progressions I’ve ever seen in any Japanese series, and ever since it happened, AOT has taken on one of the most disturbing tones of any series I follow, and this series has done a phenomenal job at capturing the horrors of human nature and fascistic symbolism in a truly brilliant way. IMHO.

I love this series, and Season 4 for me has started off with a bang, and the new animation studio should be proud.
@RayanOO , can we get some AOT tags my man?

RayanOO

Lazy is the way

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Yep, I think the want the season 4 to be the last one, so they will finish the manga this season too

Haha ok so we will try avoiding spoilers here
That’s good. I made it to episode 4 so far and this Season is fantastic. On par with Seasons 1&2 for quality imo. AOT has always been a favorite of mine but I’ve just waited on the anime to progress through the story, and hot damn. This is some great shit.

I would say AOT is probably a top 3 series for me next to Berserk and Kingdom.

Most of people who hate and keep whinny are from Twitter (well twitter being twitter). although I myself prefer WIT Studio's animation, but this season is great and not as bad as people make it to be.

Also like you said, the color change also fitting. After desperately fighting for humanity inside the walls so they didn't extinct, it turned out that their enemy had been humans all along, which is the world, so there would be a war. So this season's dark theme very fits with the current story.

AoT is also my favorite manga. The story is very unique and rare, especially for a shonen manga. I used to think the story was just about killing titans, but it turns out that the story is more than that and very complex. The future events also hinted and foreshadowed perfectly.

Haven't seen season 4 yet. I am going to binge it, I do not like to wait to each episode to come out. I am up to date on manga though! I am kind of curious if the anime ending will be the same with manga. I think, the anime will end before manga, since each chapter comes out once a month and we have 2 more left!

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Haven't seen season 4 yet. I am going to binge it, I do not like to wait to each episode to come out. I am up to date on manga though! I am kind of curious if the anime ending will be the same with manga. I think, the anime will end before manga, since each chapter comes out once a month and we have 2 more left!
They will maybe separate the season in two parts and we will have 1/2 months break for anime to catch up to the manga
Post automatically merged:

you retards complaining about cgi better not to try to watch berserk lmao
clang clang clang clang clang clang clang

N

Noctis

I'm planning to binge this season. So, I haven't seen it yet.
Yep, I think they want the season 4 to be the last one, so they will finish the manga this season too

Haha ok so we will try avoiding spoilers here
There is no confirmation or anything but I think Season 4 will end at chapter 122 or something given the pace of the anime or either they have to cut tons of scenes to adapt the whole manga within 7 left episodes which is something I don't believe given they are adapting everything so far