Character Discussion Did anybody expect that Mihawk would be the last pre-ts character we would know anything about?

Yes but he is interested in Luffy. As an observer from what we can tell by his comments in Marineford. Unlike Dragon who was also an observer until we found out he was connected to Luffy.

As you said Mihawk is uniquely insignificant to the story. In most games a character like him would be a narrator of sort.
When I say connected I mean either fight or join Luffy or be a direct parallel to Luffy in someway… that’s what everyone who matters in the story boils down to

Mihawk isn’t connected to Luffy, the fact that the story would lose nothing if Mihawk never spoke to Luffy again shows you why… there is no way Oda would have Dragon not talk to Luffy
Post automatically merged:

@kumae Garp is a Luffy parallel so even that entire thing connects to Luffy… and of course Kuzan is very connected to Luffy through Robin and Teach

When I say connected I mean either fight or join Luffy or be a direct parallel to Luffy in someway… that’s what everyone who matters in the story boils down to

Mihawk isn’t connected to Luffy, the fact that the story would lose nothing if Mihawk never spoke to Luffy again shows you why… there is no way Oda would have Dragon not talk to Luffy
Pretty much. Like every other "fighter" Zoro fought.

Not really, he exists only for one of the following two reasons:
1. Be Zoro final enemy and goodbye
2. Die and give Zoro a new generation final enemy.

He has 0 purpose, 0 connection to the One Piece plot being himself uninterested in claiming the One piece and exists just as a Zoro plotline.

Lol you can’t seriously be comparing Naruto vs Sasuke to Zoro vs Mihawk
Certain people think that this is Zero Piece, look at my signature.

because he will be apart of Shanks backstory.
You think the two pages or so that he will appear in Shanks’ backstory will be enough?

btw I’m not even saying this isn’t likely… I just think it will be bad writing and Oda is a bad writer so it’s entirely possible this could be literally be all Oda ever writes of Mihawk, 2 pages in Shanks backstory

Pretty much. Like every other "fighter" Zoro fought.
Mihawk is even unique from all those other people Zoro fought because all those other people were henchmen of the arc villain, and so even they are connected to Luffy through the villain

Buggy who is being used in the plot to put Mihawk in front of Zoro for their fight but mihawk has no ideological alignment to Buggy who wants the One piece so again, has nothing that connects to Luffy

Ohh whatelse supposed to even compare , whatelse is even closer to that
Comparing a subplot of a supporting character to the rivalry of the protagonist does not make any sense.
This is Luffy's story, and Zoro is an addendum that has had 0 relevant plotlines in the last 500 chapters or so.
It's more like Gaara vs Rock lee.

C

Cruxroux

Comparing a subplot of a supporting character to the rivalry of the protagonist does not make any sense.
This is Luffy's story, and Zoro is an addendum that has had 0 relevant plotlines in the last 500 chapters or so.
It's more like Gaara vs Rock lee.
Lmao.
Gaara vs rocklee had to build up , and ended right there itself.

Zoro vs Mihawk has been hyped , built up since the beginning of One piece.

Accepting it or not , that's your problem don't quote me into it.

I have my opinion on what it looked like.
Nothing comes closer to the build up Zoro vs Mihawk has in this series to any future fights.
Similar to Naruto vs Sasuke , built up since begging of the show and got settled at the end of the show.

This clown think Zolo and Mihawk is equivalent of Naruto and Sasuke:milaugh:

Show me Naruto begging for training from Sasuke, Zolo and Mihawk don't even have a rivalry right now. Let alone being important as Naruto to their own series.
Zoro vs Mihawk is the most hyped and built up in the whole series clown. Not even Luffy vs BB clown.
Neither of them cares about each other lol.

Both Zoro and mihawk wants to fight each other to see who's superior.

Ohh whatelse supposed to even compare , whatelse is even closer to that
My guy, you are conflating “length” with “depth”

mihawk vs Zoro is probably the longest running hype match in shonen probably… but it’s not the deepest at all

Naruto vs Sasuke blows it out of the park for sinoly how much writing is involved… Character writing… Every single thing about each character is explored from birth to their fight, every psychological reason for their fight, every thematic, mythological reason… Literally they are even reincarnation destined to destroy each and everything

The mihawk vs Zoro fight has maybe 5% the amount of effort in story dedicated to it as compared to the Naruto vs Sasuke fight… the mere fact that we the readers don’t even know what a swordsman is just goes to show how extremely underwritten this fight is

So yes, if you measure is the length of time a fight has been hyped up, then sure Mihawk and Zoro is up there… But comparing it to Naruto vs Sasuke is not it because it can’t compare to the depth of writing at all

I think a better comparison of the Mihawk vs Zoro fight is like maybe All for One vs All might… it’s around that level

C

Cruxroux

Naruto vs Sasuke blows it out of the park for sinoly how much writing is involved… Character writing… Every single thing about each character is explored from birth to their fight, every psychological reason for their fight, every thematic, mythological reason… Literally they are even reincarnation destined to destroy each and everything
Except for mihawk , Zoro has everything you have written so far.
Mihawk isn't explored yet. We are yet to get it.
Or maybe he is simply the endgame strongest type for no reason like Sukuna , Sukuna vs gojo is the level of hype is there.
A huge proportion of One piece fanbase is Zoro and everyone will agree on Zoro vs Mihawk is the only thing might be interested in except for one piece disclosure , no other fight would interest them.

C

Cruxroux

Naruto vs Sasuke was the protagonist vs his deuteragonist rival, which had been built up as the final fight since the end of Part 1. Zoro vs Mihawk is just the “deuteragonist” (if you can even call Zoro that) vs his sensei
Sensei isn't even the correct term here.
We have seen nothing except for their how to coat your haki with blade.
They both go different ways in terms of sword fighting.
Zoro uses three sword style and katana , mihawk goes totally different.
Haki is something which blooms in battle. Not by training , types of observation can be trained , but so far doesn't look like the case with Zoro.
Armament can go with it too but again, Garp and Coby is the prime example of it.
Mihawk left him after not even teaching how simply telling him this is haki and your blade won't break.
That's it.
And for the protagonist logic , Zoro is closer to Luffy than any no.3 has been ever to Zoro. They both runs the show.

No matter how much you try to deny it.
Zoro vs Mihawk has the most hyped and built up.

Mihawk is even unique from all those other people Zoro fought because all those other people were henchmen of the arc villain, and so even they are connected to Luffy through the villain

Buggy who is being used in the plot to put Mihawk in front of Zoro for their fight but mihawk has no ideological alignment to Buggy who wants the One piece so again, has nothing that connects to Luffy
When you put it that way.. yeah

Not surprised. He's just a boring plot device that will have a couple of pages in Shank's flashback and that should be enough.

He's not important to the overall plot. Just a note to be solved EOS.
Yup, Shiryu and Mihawk have the same importance. Both are Zolo's final fights.

He's a minor character, he won't have as much focus. His story will be shown a little when Oda focuses on Shanks. It's going to be like Kizaru in Egghead.