Questions & Mysteries Do One Piece fights become worse and outdated?

One piece fights become worse

• Total voters
I have read JJK and re-read HxH and found their fights are very amazing with tons of variety. Each characters have unique abilities and they fight with strategy based on their strength and weakness of opponent. Their mistakes result in severe consequences. I feel like they are far ahead of OP fights, which are very repetitive and dull.
  • fights in One Piece are about haki & awakening contest
  • No consistency of power. Power like future sight works only if the plot demands
  • Even the manga portrays to have variety of power, they all the same. Characters can just tank lightning and fire without shocking or burning effects
  • Strength and weakness is non-existed in OP world. Kaido thunder bagua and wind blades just do the same to Luffy, even the manga portray that blade is Luffy weakness.
  • No strategy involved in the fight and there is no stake. Everything just follows the pattern: attack not strong enough -> almost defeated -> unlock new power up -> repeat.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Pretty much like that.

Disagree that haki contest is an issue but inconsistency of power really is.

Imagine Goku at Namekusei struggling against Freeza underlings and then beating Freeza at the end.

My main issue with Luffy in Onigashima is how he struggled against random and was equally fighting Kaido at the end.

To me One Piece fights have always been bad but it always had emotional stakes to it whether it was with Robin against Lucci vs Luffy or Crocodile vs Luffy or Zoro vs Mihawk. All I want in the fights in One Piece are consequences and emotional stakes and they have neither during post time skip. Only Law vs Doflamingo had that and Inu and Neko vs Jack in Zou whereas Kaido vs Luffy had nothing but power ups and more power ups, no consequences nor emotional stakes.

The fights have always been kind generic, just look at the three main fighters in the crew, theirs fights are always the same way and att the end the strong punch/slash/kick solve it.

To me much more than the fights, the emotional stakes, the theme behind it and the overall consequences are what the fights in OP are about.

Some readers dont get it, as they think OP is a DBZ like manga, all about fighting, while its clear that the themes behind the story, the adventure and the worldbuilding seems to bem much more important to Oda.

Zoro's fights are just shit. Same sword bs of "NOW I CAN CUT HARDER NOW!!!!!" All his fights suck ass
Everyone else gets good fights though
Post automatically merged:

Luffy vs Katakuri was arguably one of the best fights in One Piece.Zoro vs King too.Rooftop 5v2 also.

I don't know why Oda messed up that bad with Luffy vs Kaido, but I don't think One Piece is on a steady decline when it comes to fights.
Zoro vs King wasn't even as good as Usopp vs that one guy in Arlong Park
Zoro does not have even a single good fight

Zoro's fights are just shit. Same sword bs of "NOW I CAN CUT HARDER NOW!!!!!" All his fights suck ass
Everyone else gets good fights though

Zoro vs King wasn't even as good as Usopp vs that one guy in Arlong Park
Zoro does not have even a single good fight
False

Zoro vs Mr1 is one of the best fights in the series

The fights have always been kind generic, just look at the three main fighters in the crew, theirs fights are always the same way and att the end the strong punch/slash/kick solve it.

To me much more than the fights, the emotional stakes, the theme behind it and the overall consequences are what the fights in OP are about.

Some readers dont get it, as they think OP is a DBZ like manga, all about fighting, while its clear that the themes behind the story, the adventure and the worldbuilding seems to bem much more important to Oda.
Oda fails to deliver on both fronts

The man is just so unbelievably lazy with his fights. He consistently gets away with delivering the bare minimum and people shower him with praise because he gives fans so little, that any character having any cool moment is automatically considered good writing.

And you know, it was fine with King, Queen, and all the scrub fighters. But seeing Oda butcher Kaido and Linlin's fights just ruined OP for me. I'm sorry, you can't build up to something for the past 10 years, massively drop the ball, and expect people not to care.

With both Kid and Law vs Big Mom and Luffy vs Kaido, there was absolutely zero emotional core to these fights. They were ladled with asspulls and glaring plot conveniences because Oda with 10 years of preparation time, couldn't figure out how to give the yonko a satisfying defeat.

Oda fails to deliver on both fronts

The man is just so unbelievably lazy with his fights. He consistently gets away with delivering the bare minimum and people shower him with praise because he gives fans so little, that any character having any cool moment is automatically considered good writing.

And you know, it was fine with King, Queen, and all the scrub fighters. But seeing Oda butcher Kaido and Linlin's fights just ruined OP for me. I'm sorry, you can't build up to something for the past 10 years, massively drop the ball, and expect people not to care.

With both Kid and Law vs Big Mom and Luffy vs Kaido, there was absolutely zero emotional core to these fights. They were ladled with asspulls and glaring plot conveniences because Oda with 10 years of preparation time, couldn't figure out how to give the yonko a satisfying defeat.
When will fightspics realize that Oda doesn't give a shit about what they think? He isn't writing this manga for people who shitpost about powerlevels all day
You can tell that most of the people that piss themselves over this kind of thing are South American because they're genetically predisposed to care about "OOGA BOOGA HIT HARD HIT HARD"

I agree definitely. No strategy involved, no stakes, no different approach etc. But on the other side, HxH is on a constant hiatus. Oda is dilligent and keep delivering each chapters on a good schedule. If Oda is in fresh mind and physical condition from a yearly hiatus like Togashi, i can guarantee that the fight quality will increase astronomically, since resting period and contemplation is a must to search for inspiration.

The universe tries to balance things out. Oda is already the most creative mangaka, he created the best universe, various plots, history, mysteries, he is great at working with true emotion of the characters and not this ridiculous forced emotional shit from other shounens. Regarding powers/abilities, Oda is very creative but bad at writing fights, he would be perfect if he knew how to write fights, and the universe can't create a perfect man.