Break Week Do you guys think Oda will ever let Usopp grow as a character and a fighter?

I'm a fan of pre timeskip usopp.

Oda hasn't given me a reason as to why I should think better of his character because most of his scenes are just repetitive at this point.

He won't grow as a character because his gimmick will ALWAYS require him to be afraid before he steps up to the plate, which he's done since his introduction arc. He's not going to grow as a fighter, I'd argue Usopp got worse as a fighter, at least before he had more variety & creativity, nuts it's the same pop green being spammed.

Oda trapped Usopp in this box he'll never break out of because Oda thinks keeping Usopp weak will make him more relatable, which isn't always the case. There are other character people can relate to just as much, if not more than Usopp.

The strawhats as a group aren't so that great, monster trio carries, jinbe holds his own, Brook doesn't really do shit, Franky is whatever, Robin barely gets shit & usopp, Nami and Chopper are just throw aways with a decent moment once in a blue moon.

I genuinely don't see Usopp ever being a better sniper than his father or Augur unless Oda makes those 2 the most underwhelming characters to where you have no expectations for them despite how it seem the story set them up to be.
Couldn't agree more
Post automatically merged:

I'm not denying the potential, and while I like some of what usopp did in Dressrosa, I don't like how it was built off a gag in his fight with trebol and sugar.

Oda had Usopp cut trebol in 3's, we saw he was cut from the neck up yet the explanation when luffy punched him was so stupid. I didn't care for the fire gag & how the God usopp thing came aabout. I loved the actual sniping moment, the ammo was meh but it is what it is.

The potential will always be there, question is will Oda actually do something with it & I don't think he will. He'll give literal crumbs, maybe half a slice of bread & the fans will eat it up.

Regardless, Elbaf has nothing to do with Onigashima & even though Usopp is my favorite character, he's been an absolute disappointment who got shafted to give Nami her worst fight/moment of the series.
Damn, I didn't know there were other Usopp fans out there who felt just like I did, I felt like I was preaching to the void

He’s def due for some good character work and I think it’s for sure happening in Elbaf. He wants to be known as a brave warrior but it doesn’t mean he can’t be scared of anything, it does mean there will be a time where regardless of how scared he is he will step up to the plate when it matters and accomplish something unforgettable. He doesn’t have to be super powerful, but we know exactly how he can be when he really puts his mind to something. His time will come, I just wish we had more moments to see him truly shine.

He’s def due for some good character work and I think it’s for sure happening in Elbaf. He wants to be known as a brave warrior but it doesn’t mean he can’t be scared of anything, it does mean there will be a time where regardless of how scared he is he will step up to the plate when it matters and accomplish something unforgettable. He doesn’t have to be super powerful, but we know exactly how he can be when he really puts his mind to something. His time will come, I just wish we had more moments to see him truly shine.
Also just give him good moments that don't have to he centered or treated as comedic. Not everything Usopp does need a laugh at the end of it.

Oda loves to give Usopp big moments when they are needed the most, and it tends to push him further into the direction of becoming a Brave Warrior of the Sea. He had a big one in Dressrosa, sat out for WCI, and is now being geared up here on Wano to do something noteworthy, considering he was sidelined from any of the major fights.

Then we'll get Elbaf, which will give him that final push he needs.

You sure Oda won't clown Usopp in Elbaf, too?
I Sure hope not!!!

I'm Sick of Usopp being Done Dirty like this; why bother keeping him alive at this point; If he ISN'T going to have any more Major Ws, or Upgrades to his skills & arsenal?!! OR EVEN Character Development towards his dream of becoming a Brave Warrior of the sea?!

He probably revives Sogeking in the form of a Raidsuit.
Didn't Sanji Destroy the Raidsuit after it altered his DNA?!

Last edited:
C

CensoredbyWG

Zoro didnt get the spotlight on swordsman arc, franky didnt get the spotlight on technology arc, neither sanji nor chopper had relevance on wano's health and hunger problems...

You should give up the thought of usopp becoming a strong character, oda made it clear that this story is luffy + luffy till the end.

Zoro didnt get the spotlight on swordsman arc, franky didnt get the spotlight on technology arc, neither sanji nor chopper had relevance on wano's health and hunger problems...

You should give up the thought of usopp becoming a strong character, oda made it clear that this story is luffy + luffy till the end.
OF Course Zoro got the Spotlight in Wano;

He Defeated a Powerful Lunarian; He Learned to Cut w/ Fire like Kinemon; He Obtained Conqueror's Haki; and can now coat his swords with Conqueror's Haki;

Zoro didn't get the Spotlight, MY A***

C

CensoredbyWG

OF Course Zoro got the Spotlight in Wano;

He Defeated a Powerful Lunarian; He Learned to Cut w/ Fire like Kinemon; He Obtained Conqueror's Haki; and can now coat his swords with Conqueror's Haki;

Zoro didn't get the Spotlight, MY A***
No mention about his actual relation to shimotsuki clan outside of a few hints here and there, oda literally revealed those in SBS.

No swordsman related stuff to his journey or contenders curious about retrieving shusui.

You don't understand Usopp. He will not be fearless, he is human not a monster. He can't be brave if he is not scared. He will never conquer his fear but always face it.

But power wise I agree. Oda is doing him dirty. He faced a fishmen back at Arlong Park, battle along Chopper at Alabasta, came back from timeskip showing off saying he is now strong at all. He can still be human, scared but a lot stronger.
^^