Chapter Discussion Does Shin finally reached Duke Hyou level?

Shin has reach/surpass Duke Hyou in?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 10278

No, not yet. He doesn't have enough of the instinct feats imo. We need to see a campaign where the HSU is predominantly led by Shin's instincts as opposed to Ten's strategies before we can say he's on the Duke's level. Right now, Ten's strategies are the main component of HSU's combat while Shin's instincts are supplementary. It needs to be the other way around if Shin is to be Duke Hyou's level as a general.
Completely hit it on the head right here. Shin hasn’t taken full command nearly enough for him to be compared to Duke Hyou on that end whatsoever. The only thing Shin has surpassed the Duke in is individual strength, which can be said about a lot of the generals at this point. The only thing keeping Shin from being better than say Mouten or Ouhon and reaching that great general status is precisely his ability to take full command and run the show, that’s what being a general in essence is. Right now he’s closer to a cavalry unit captain that so happens to be one of the stronger individuals in combat rather than a full fledged general.

Tho Idk what made Riboku say that since I need to catch up, but it’s good to see Hara developing Shin on that end even though it took a bit long.

D

Dragomir

Completely hit it on the head right here. Shin hasn’t taken full command nearly enough for him to be compared to Duke Hyou on that end whatsoever. The only thing Shin has surpassed the Duke in is individual strength, which can be said about a lot of the generals at this point. The only thing keeping Shin from being better than say Mouten or Ouhon and reaching that great general status is precisely his ability to take full command and run the show, that’s what being a general in essence is. Right now he’s closer to a cavalry unit captain that so happens to be one of the stronger individuals in combat rather than a full fledged general.

Tho Idk what made Riboku say that since I need to catch up, but it’s good to see Hara developing Shin on that end even though it took a bit long.
Cavalry unit captain is the perfect way to describe his current role. Him taking over full command of his army is something we've been lacking from Shin. He just did it in these two recent chapters and I hope he continues to do so throughout the entire battle against Riboku. Would be a shame if that was his only instinctual feat in the battle.

I think once Shin's instincts are fully developed and he reaches Duke's level and takes entire command of his army battle after battle would be when Shin's ready to become a Great General.

D

Deleted member 10278

Cavalry unit captain is the perfect way to describe his current role. Him taking over full command of his army is something we've been lacking from Shin. He just did it in these two recent chapters and I hope he continues to do so throughout the entire battle against Riboku. Would be a shame if that was his only instinctual feat in the battle.

I think once Shin's instincts are fully developed and he reaches Duke's level and takes entire command of his army battle after battle would be when Shin's ready to become a Great General.
I think because Shin is so ahead in individual strength, Hara had to compromise elsewhere in order to get the plot moving smoothly. Because if Shin fully develops his instincual abilities, there’s nothing stopping him from being added to the 6GG of Qin.

In terms of martial prowess, Shin is above Hyou. They are in the same tier and would give each other a high/extreme diff fight but Shin would win.

Shin needs more experience before he is on the same tactical level as the Duke though.
That line from Riboku felt very forced to me tbh.

It's not even close to being believable.
Riboku has only two known points of reference in Duke Hyou and Keisha when facing off against Instinctual Generals. Shin is definitely not a Keisha, so that leaves only Duke Hyou as a comparison.
I think Hara missed an opportunity in the Zhao Invasion Arc to have Gyou'un(a fellow instinctual general and someone who may have fought directly against the Duke) make a comparison.
Gyou'un wouldn't work. Gaimou of the Seven Fire Dragons had no idea who Hyou was and Gokei also didn't give any recognition to Hyou.

Considering how Gyou'un completely retired after Rinshoujou's passing then he would have completely missed the Duke's career on the battlefield.
Fair point but it still feels forced that Riboku makes the comparison in the exact same chapter where Shin starts talking about starting a "blaze" and "fires", literally copping lines from the Duke lol, and this is the first time Shin's talked like that iirc. It would feel more natural imo, if Riboku made the comparison a few chapters after Shin started doing the instinctual stuff
It ain't the first time. Shin spoke like this during the Battle of Shukai Plains.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
The only thing Shin has surpassed the Duke in is individual strength, which can be said about a lot of the generals at this point.
In terms of martial prowess, Shin is above Hyou. They are in the same tier and would give each other a high/extreme diff fight but Shin would win.
I wouldn’t be so hasty. Shin vs Duke Hyou is an extreme diff but Shin has not outright surpassed him in strength yet. At least I don’t think so. I imagine Duke Hyou would not have needed to switch weapons against Gakuhaku Kou and could’ve kept up with him with the Glaive while Shin is still developing with his Glaive.

I wouldn’t be so hasty. Shin vs Duke Hyou is an extreme diff but Shin has not outright surpassed him in strength yet. At least I don’t think so. I imagine Duke Hyou would not have needed to switch weapons against Gakuhaku Kou and could’ve kept up with him with the Glaive while Shin is still developing with his Glaive.
I don't think Shin can surpass him in tier terms since they are both at the highest tier and Kingdom has a pretty solid limit on human strength within it's verse (bar Shiyuu but screw those folk).

I think Shin by this point will always defeat the Duke in a fight but it will always be at extreme diff.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I don't think Shin can surpass him in tier terms since they are both at the highest tier and Kingdom has a pretty solid limit on human strength within it's verse (bar Shiyuu but screw those folk).

I think Shin by this point will always defeat the Duke in a fight but it will always be at extreme diff.
I think Shin still has strength development to go through. For one, he still has to get rid of his speed issues with Ouki’s Glaive. That will come through him fighting/training with it more and more.

For two, Shin still has Duke Hyou’s shield which I’m holding out hope that he’ll actually use in battle because that would be sick.

Three, if Shin does wield the Duke’s shield, he will essentially need to develop his single-arm strength to wield both Ouki’s Glaive and Hyou’s shield in each arm. And yes I do think this is very possible, I imagine Duke Hyou could wield his Glaive and his shield with ease, and I think Ouki swung his Glaive around with only one arm easily as well.

Shin wielding both would be a sight to see.

D

Dragomir

I think Shin still has strength development to go through. For one, he still has to get rid of his speed issues with Ouki’s Glaive. That will come through him fighting/training with it more and more.

For two, Shin still has Duke Hyou’s shield which I’m holding out hope that he’ll actually use in battle because that would be sick.

Three, if Shin does wield the Duke’s shield, he will essentially need to develop his single-arm strength to wield both Ouki’s Glaive and Hyou’s shield in each arm. And yes I do think this is very possible, I imagine Duke Hyou could wield his Glaive and his shield with ease, and I think Ouki swung his Glaive around with only one arm easily as well.

Shin wielding both would be a sight to see.
Let's not forget Rinko's sword. It'd be amazing to see Shin become a duel-sword wielder using Rinko's and Hyou's swords.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
think Shin by this point will always defeat the Duke in a fight but it will always be at extreme diff.
EOS Shin won’t need extreme diff to beat the Duke. Shin will be a monster. Duke was really strong but he was never in the monster category : Gaimou Renpa Man U Ouki Moubu KanMei etc

Shin will be among them and maybe just below Moubu

I think Duke vs Shin EOS will be a difficult fight but not extreme diff

EOS Shin won’t need extreme diff to beat the Duke. Shin will be a monster. Duke was really strong but he was never in the monster category : Gaimou Renpa Man U Ouki Moubu KanMei etc

Shin will be among them and maybe just below Moubu

I think Duke vs Shin EOS will be a difficult fight but not extreme diff
You say that the Duke is not in the same category as Ouki, yet Ouki himself stated that Hyou was capable of potentially defeating him.
Ouki and Duke Hyou are at the very least in the same tier (i.e. Top Tier). EoS Shin at the most will only be able to defeat the Duke high diff, so Current Shin vs Duke Hyou is probably an extreme diff victory for Shin.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
You say that the Duke is not in the same category as Ouki, yet Ouki himself stated that Hyou was capable of potentially defeating him.
Ouki and Duke Hyou are at the very least in the same tier (i.e. Top Tier). EoS Shin at the most will only be able to defeat the Duke high diff, so Current Shin vs Duke Hyou is probably an extreme diff victory for Shin.
Yeah i remember that quote and i dont disagree.

Duke is strong enough that Ouki has to be full serious against him. Do i think Duke can push Ouki to extreme diff or either way ? No.

Ouki is portrayed, said, "numbered" as stronger, and without any discussion.

Do you think Duke can beat the ones I listed ? Gaimou, Man U, Moubu, Kanmei, Ouki, Renpa (and likely SBS) ?

I don't think so. Hewon't be stomped by anyone and will be a great opponent, but he can't beat them.

That show that Duke while really good is a little bit behind the top of the verse martial wise.

You can be a beast and not be in the 1/1000th stronger. And I don't consider Duke being portrayed that way.

And EOS Shin will be in that strongest group and among the very very very best (maybe just behind Moubu).

I never said that current Shin can beat Duke high diff etc. I completly agree with you it's totally an extreme diff or either way against current Shin.

But against EOS Shin I don't see it being an extreme diff.
EoS Shin at the most will only be able to defeat the Duke high diff, so Current Shin vs Duke Hyou is probably an extreme diff victory for Shin.
I agree with that and didn't say the opposite. You can read my post and I pretty much said the exact same thing so I don't really see your point lol.

No, I don't think so.

I think Duke Hyou's instinct was pretty much always on go, whereas that of Shin seems more situational for now.

Plus we haven't really seen Shin operate in a situation where the buck stops with him. There has always been someone else serving in overall command. We simply need to see more.

Shin would now beat Duke in a duel if they are in a situation where Shin's alpha is pulled out (if it was a smaller scale battle, I'd have Duke win, such is the nonsense that Hara writes with Shin's duelling).

But Duke has superior instincts. Shin can replicate it in many ways but not quite as great and nowhere near as constant. And Duke is a much better leader atm with a lot more experience.

So no, Shin is like Duke at the Fire Dragon level. Duke is obviously Qin 6 level.

Hmmm....at this point in the series, it's hard to say. Shin breaking out of Riboku's encirclement at Gian? was pretty impressive but don't think he's quite a Hyou's level yet. Nothing he's done as of yet tops Duke Hyou breaking outta of Riboku's Ryudo.
He has the talent for it in spades but he still lacks feats and experience.

Putting the instinctual bit of of it aside tho, I think he has Duke Hyou beat on everything else atm. Martial Might (even without his +Alpha I think he's already beyond Hyou), Army Strength, Geki (i.e. Ability to rile up his army?) etc.

Imo Ten is stunting Shin's growth as an instinctual general and as long as she continues to lead strategy wise, it's pretty hard to imagine Shin reaching Hyou's level on that particular stat and given she's a secondary MC I'm not convinced that Shin will be able to reach that level without it coming across as somewhat forced as he needs a shit ton of experience to grow that ability but maybe when Shin becomes a great general and the scale of his army changes tings become a bit different.

Last edited: