Character Discussion Eustass 'Captain' Kid - Keep on rollin'

No

Oda said that out of the ones he created, Kid was the only one he originally planned to play a big role.
Where do you get this from?

"I created Supernovas [Editor's note: The eleven top rookie pirates of the "Worst Generation" of pirates] right before the chapter where they got introduced. None of them existed in my plot notebooks before that chapter...Then, inspiration for 9 Supernovas came to my mind unconsciously...I'm really surprised they survived until now since I thought half of them would drop out of [sic] tough new world already..."

As for Law himself, Oda stated that he "imagined Kid would become an important character, but...Law!! I didn't imagine he would become such an important character."
(https://comicbook.com/anime/news/one-piece-anime-trafalgar-law-new-details/)

This means that when Oda created them, that he merely expected kid to become important but he was made exactly like the rest with no special backstory over the others.

(https://comicbook.com/anime/news/one-piece-anime-trafalgar-law-new-details/)

This means that when Oda created them, that he merely expected kid to become important but he was made exactly like the rest with no special backstory over the others.
Lol dont act like Kid was treated exactly like the others thats dead ass a terrible oversimplification. I will say this, while the supernovas went into the new world with some sort of plan in their mind they stumbled upon the yonkos one way or another some of thhem submitted to them like bege x drake apoo etc, some comppletely stopped being reallyy active like bonney and urouge who is chilling on his sky island and then there is Kid who got wrecked over and over again and never gave up exactly like luffy would. He heard about the existence and importance of the ROAD PONEGLYPHS one way or another) something that luffy and Law heard only by luck since they went to zou. You cannot tell me in good faith that he was as important as the other supernovas just because he isnt on luffy and currently lost against everything against Shanks

You cannot tell me in good faith that he was as important as the other supernovas just because he isnt on luffy and currently lost against everything against Shanks
Why not? Oda was pretty clear about it. These characters are basically on life support provided by the audience.
Oda even says that he himself is surprised that they're even still around at the point of the SBS/interview. So we should consider ourselves lucky that we still have them around.

You can interpret the story how you want but as soon as the author himself clears things up I don't see why you would try to disprove his words. I like Kidd but sometimes it's better to just have realistic expectations. When Oda says that he'd expected many of them to "drop out" then Kidd's encounter with Shanks might just be that delayed dropout. Not saying that he's dead oe will never ever appear again but I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for a big return where he plays a major role just based on how he's been handled so far.

Law on the other hand still has a ticket back into the story by virtue of this legendary surgery that turns people immortal.

Why not? Oda was pretty clear about it. These characters are basically on life support provided by the audience.
Oda even says that he himself is surprised that they're even still around at the point of the SBS/interview. So we should consider ourselves lucky that we still have them around.

You can interpret the story how you want but as soon as the author himself clears things up I don't see why you would try to disprove his words. I like Kidd but sometimes it's better to just have realistic expectations. When Oda says that he'd expected many of them to "drop out" then Kidd's encounter with Shanks might just be that delayed dropout. Not saying that he's dead oe will never ever appear again but I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for a big return where he plays a major role just based on how he's been handled so far.

Law on the other hand still has a ticket back into the story by virtue of this legendary surgery that turns people immortal.
"Oda even says that he himself is surprised that they're even still around at the point of the SBS/interview. So we should consider ourselves lucky that we still have them around." Yes and he then said he imagined Kid would become impotant, but not law so what you are saying about the other supernovas who he thought would have dropped out do not apply to kid. what you saying is honestly irrelevant even you yourself admitted that will be important in the final war but have trouble seeing why Kid will be in it too for some reason.

"I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for a big return where he plays a major role just based on how he's been handled so far." bruh this is a really stupid thing
You are basically telling me that how he has been handled so far does not matter and he is done because of his recent defeat against shanks even though he has been losing and getting back up during the entire post ts saga? You cant just say that all the things we have seen in the past are irrelevant because he just lost again

"Oda even says that he himself is surprised that they're even still around at the point of the SBS/interview. So we should consider ourselves lucky that we still have them around." Yes and he then said he imagined Kid would become impotant, but not law so what you are saying about the other supernovas who he thought would have dropped out do not apply to kid. what you saying is honestly irrelevant even you yourself admitted that will be important in the final war but have trouble seeing why Kid will be in it too for some reason.

"I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for a big return where he plays a major role just based on how he's been handled so far." bruh this is a really stupid thing
You are basically telling me that how he has been handled so far does not matter and he is done because of his recent defeat against shanks even though he has been losing and getting back up during the entire post ts saga? You cant just say that all the things we have seen in the past are irrelevant because he just lost again

I'm not telling you anything. You are free to believe what you want, I'm just saying that I personally don't get overly invested in chracters the author himself calls expendable that are past their due date essentially.

"The three billion bounty Pirate, Eustass Captain Kid and his Kid pirates destroyed" paired with the interview I mentioned are enough hints for me to not think for this character to make a grand return. He's just a side character after all. I liked him a lot but I just want to keep my expectations realistic.

I'm not telling you anything. You are free to believe what you want, I'm just saying that I personally don't get overly invested in chracters the author himself calls expendable that are past their due date essentially.

"The three billion bounty Pirate, Eustass Captain Kid and his Kid pirates destroyed" paired with the interview I mentioned are enough hints for me to not think for this character to make a grand return. He's just a side character after all. I liked him a lot but I just want to keep my expectations realistic.
Bro what are you talking about, Oda just had Kid 2v1 a yonko and subsequently receive a 3 billion berry bounty.

Yeah, there are some supernova Oda never intended to be important. That was Hawkins and Apoo. Kid is blatantly not one of those characters.
Post automatically merged:

Luffy’s journey didn’t end in Sabaody. It is absolutely preposterous to think Kid’s would.

The dude isn’t Chinjao or Moria. Those dudes never won against a yonko, Kid did.

The fact that Oda had Kid 2v1 BM directly builds him to be a future legendary pirate.

Bro what are you talking about, Oda just had Kid 2v1 a yonko and subsequently receive a 3 billion berry bounty.

Yeah, there are some supernova Oda never intended to be important. That was Hawkins and Apoo. Kid is blatantly not one of those characters.

Luffy’s journey didn’t end in Sabaody. It is absolutely preposterous to think Kid’s would.

The dude isn’t Chinjao or Moria. Those dudes never won against a yonko, Kid did.

The fact that Oda had Kid 2v1 BM directly builds him to be a future legendary pirate.
Ok! You can believe that, I remain sceptical.

Please leave this thread
You can't even understand what Oda meant

Anyway,

Oda killed Kidd's character
He decied to please Shanks fans than remain true to his own story

Instead of showing Kidd's growth vs Shanks 1v1
He preferred writing a dumb conclusion
All for the sake of it

He isn't a great author like his worshippers claim. (Nw arcs have been disappointing overall: characters, plots etc...)
The only reason One Piece is still trending during and after wano is because many fans only care about their favs looking good, they don't care about storytelling!

You can't even understand what Oda meant
Why wouldn't I be able to understand? And why would my interpretation be a reason to leave the thread? All I'm doing is taking Oda's words at face value and putting those into context with what happened in the story to Kidd.
If my interpretation of Oda's words is somehow deeply flawed then tell me what you think he meant.
No need to get personal.

The interview you mentioned literally showed oda saying that kid would be important you dont know what you are talking about lmao.

You know that Luffy and his straw hats pirates got "completely destriyed" right? Right??
Its pretty clear that Oda did not give Kid and Law a 3b bounty just to erase them from the main story an arc later. You guys are wild.. This defeat will motivate them to get stronger they are still young Escpecially Kid we have seen throughout wano his mental resiliance which is comparable to luffy's this explains why he has conquerors haki. You guys are not serious if you think Oda will make him irrelevat from now on just because the supernovas were created last minute. They will be one of the strongest characters in the final war. Its pretty obvous. Luffy cannot take down the wg with only Zoro and Sanji

saying that kid would be important
He imagined him to become important. This is in context of him creating him before Sabaody. The wording is crucial here. We know that audience feedback has influence on the story of OP, proven by Law sticking around for so long. So in this context of new characters that don't have roots in the past and weren't intrinsically planned out. he imagined Kidd to become big, not that he was always determined to be so.
They will be one of the strongest characters in the final war.
I hope so too! But I wouldn't go out of my way to bet on it.
Your image might be a clue for a Kidd comeback but he just might not get the MC plot armor.

Last edited:
Anyway,

Oda killed Kidd's character
He decied to please Shanks fans than remain true to his own story

Instead of showing Kidd's growth vs Shanks 1v1
He preferred writing a dumb conclusion
All for the sake of it

He isn't a great author like his worshippers claim. (Nw arcs have been disappointing overall: characters, plots etc...)
The only reason One Piece is still trending during and after wano is because many fans only care about their favs looking good, they don't care about storytelling!
Seems like someone is salty that his Favorite character got killed off. You don’t seem to understand the easiest things. Oda never cared about Kid and him getting put in the spotlight was actually kinda weird. Shanks was always portrayed as badass. What happened to kid was completely expected by the normal one piece fan who doesn’t have favorites.

He imagined him to become important. This is in context of him creating him before Sabaody. The wording is crucial here. We know that audience feedback has influence on the story of OP, proven by Law sticking around for so long. So in this context of new characters that don't have roots in the past and weren't intrinsically planned out. he imagined Kidd to become big, not that he was always determined to be so.
What you’re ignoring is that Sabaody was over 500 chapters ago. Since then we’ve followed Kid’s journey alongside Luffy’s.

He:
  • Lost an arm to Beckman
  • Beat a sweet commander and stole BM’s poneglyph
  • Formed an alliance to take out shanks
  • Got beaten by kaido and was subsequently tortured in impel down
  • Awakened his DF
  • Fought on the roof, mastered his DF powers against BM, 2v1ed her with Law
  • Gained a 3 billion berry bounty
You’re arguing that this was all lead up for Shanks to one shot him, which makes zero sense.

The supernova being created via an editor’s suggestion doesn’t make them filler. It doesn’t mean Oda is just going to throw these characters away on a whim.

Seems like someone is salty that his Favorite character got killed off. You don’t seem to understand the easiest things. Oda never cared about Kid and him getting put in the spotlight was actually kinda weird. Shanks was always portrayed as badass. What happened to kid was completely expected by the normal one piece fan who doesn’t have favorites.
I love how there’s absolutely zero evidence that he died but so many people are absolutely adamant that he did.

Last edited:
What you’re ignoring is that Sabaody was over 500 chapters ago. Since then we’ve followed Kid’s journey alongside Luffy’s.

He:
  • Lost an arm to Beckman
  • Beat a sweet commander and stole BM’s poneglyph
  • Formed an alliance to take out shanks
  • Got beaten by kaido and was subsequently tortured in impel down
  • Awakened his DF
  • Fought on the roof, mastered his DF powers against BM, 2v1ed her with Law
  • Gained a 3 billion berry bounty
You’re arguing that this was all lead up for Shanks to one shot him, which makes zero sense.

The supernova being created via an editor’s suggestion doesn’t make them filler. It doesn’t mean Oda is just going to throw these characters away on a whim.

I love how there’s absolutely zero evidence that he died but so many people are absolutely adamant that he did.
I didn’t say he died. I make jokes about him being at the bottom of the See just to troll, but we know in one piece characters truly die only when it is really important to the story. And if Kid dies or he just gets beaten and loses the race to PK, doesn’t much change. The fact though is that everyone knew that Kid is not that important to the story. None are excluding the Strawhats. It was obvious that law and kid would loose to BB and Shanks.

This is what happened though and that's why I really dislike how Oda handled him as a character. I rooted for Kidd but seeing that he ended up as just a proof of Shank's power is lame.
As I said; I'd like for him to come back but I'm currently not convinced he will get something as big as his fight against Big Mom again. That was his climax in the story in my opinion.
If I'm wrong; good!