Questions & Mysteries Everything You Need to Know Before the Elbaf Arc - A Mega Post

Intro
With the long-awaited Elbaf arc finally starting, I thought it would be a great idea to analyze the possible inspiration that Oda might take for the arc, plenty of which can already be seen. The aesthetics of the Elbaf Giants are obviously inspired by the Vikings; however, there are also several names that are direct references to Norse Mythology, such as the tree Yggdrasil.

The World Tree (of Life)
The giant tree that was first seen in Chapter 866 was long theorized (now confirmed) to be Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life.

It’s the tree we can see in the latest Chapter (1127).

In Norse Mythology, there exists a GIANT tree that is said to support the heavens, thereby connecting the heavens, the terrestrial world, and, through its roots, the underworld. If this sounds familiar, it’s because this is essentially what the Sunlight Tree Eve, in theory, is meant to be. With its roots, it reaches down to the underwater world and gives Fishman Island sunlight, then extends through the Red Line (the terrestrial world) all the way up to Mary Geoise, where the Gods reside (where Heaven is), connecting them all.

I am sure you are familiar with the motif, as plenty of stories have incorporated it, and it’s something present in several religions. For example, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, from which Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit.

The most important thing about Yggdrasil, however, is that it houses the nine worlds that are part of the ancient Norse view of the cosmos. It is an ash tree in which all of the worlds, including the world of humans and the world of the gods, nestle among the branches and roots, as it floats through Ginnungagap, the great void. These 9 worlds are:

1. Asgard, home of the Aesir Gods
2. Álfheim, home of the Elves
3. Niðavellir, home of the Dwarves
4. Midgard, home of Humans (Earth)
5. Jötunheimr, land of the Giants (or Jotnar)
6. Vanaheimr, home of a group of gods called the Vanir
7. Niflheim, a world of Ice
8. Muspelheim, a fiery world, home to the fire giants, ruled by the fire giant Surt.
9. Helheim, the underworld or world of the dead (sometimes, Hel and Nifl overlap and we have Svartálfaheim, the Dark Elf realm, instead).

Physical Structure of Elbaf
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, I believe that Oda will structure the Elbaf Island, or Warland Region, by sectioning it into 9 different Kingdoms, each representing one of the 9 realms, and the “Legoland” we currently see – the Bigstein Castle - is one of the Kingdoms.

I imagine the Yggdrasil tree as a colossal structure, with various kingdoms spread throughout its branches and roots, each experiencing different climates and conditions. Asgard, for instance, would be so high up that it exists as a Sky Island, above the clouds.

Obviously, there is no such thing as a “Lego realm” in Norse mythology, but Oda will not be taking these as 1-to-1 inspirations for his story. There is a well-known principle in writing that states the more sources for inspiration you have, the more original your work is. Under this logic, Oda has the freedom to mash a lot of ideas together with the 9 Realms concept.

To me, the giant cat looks like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland, especially when combined with the fact that the Straw Hats are in the land of the Giants. “Steinn” is Old Norse for “rock” or “stone,” and, considering it’s a normal-size castle, it might be dwarven related: the aforementioned Nidavelir.

It’s also possible that this is meant to be Midgard. I say this because, as some readers have pointed out, the people in these panels do not seem to be Giants. They comment about the “Enormous Rabbit,” and don’t really seem to be big, which wouldn’t make sense to be called “enormous” if they themselves are also giants.

Asgard, the Realm of the Gods
There are two realms that are particularly interesting, and one of them is Asgard. I say this because Asgard is known to be the “home of the Gods.” So, naturally, I assume this is the place where Elbaf’s royalty resides, a.k.a. the place where Prince Loki resides.

Loki was first mentioned during the Whole Cake Island arc as a Prince of Elbaf wanting to wed Lola, but in Norse Mythology, Loki is a god (not necessarily of mischief). This makes me wonder what other gods we will see appear in Elbaf as its Royalty.

Since Loki is only a prince, it must mean his father is the King of Elbaf, and in Norse Mythology, his father is ~Odin~ Fárbauti. You’ve probably never heard of this guy, and I don’t blame you because most modern depictions of Loki (like the Marvel Comics/Movies) have him as the son of Odin.

I can see Oda going the same way here, as it makes more sense to have the All-Father be the King of the country inspired by Norse Mythology. You know who is Odin’s actual son? Thor, the God of Thunder. These are the three most prominent, most famous deities from Norse Mythology, and I totally see Oda using them as the Royal Family. Add also the Goddess Frigg, the Queen of the gods and wife of Odin, as the Queen of Elbaf, and we have the whole package: the Royal Family of Elbaf.

Norse Pantheon
Now, there really are plenty of other Norse gods—plenty of pivotal Norse gods—that I’ll do my best to list as quickly as possible, since I believe they are important to mention as possible inspirations for the characters we might see:

Sól – is the Sun personified, so when the character from the latest chapter mentions having to report to the “Sun God,” this is probably who they meant.

And where there is Sól there is also Máni, the personification of the Moon.

• Tyr - God of war and justice, known for his bravery. Sacrifices his hand to bind the wolf Fenrir. I see this guy as a big-shot General in the Military; Leader of Elbaf forces.
  • Heimdall - Guardian of the Bifrost, the rainbow bridge to Asgard (we are definitely seeing that, it’s so ‘One Piece’). Has sharp senses and will blow the Gjallarhorn to signal Ragnarök. Kind of reminds me of Shanks.
  • Njord - God of the sea and wind, linked to seafaring and wealth. Njord feels incredibly fitting for a story that is all about seafaring and the sea. Probably will be a sailor, if not an Admiral of Elbaf’s own Navy, and one of the Royal Members of the Vanaheim Kingdom.
  • Hel - Goddess of the underworld, ruler of Helheim, where those who die of illness or old age reside. She is meant to be the daughter of Loki, but I don’t see her being one in the story, since Loki isn’t married. She could be the ruler of the Helheim-inspired Kingdom.
  • Valkyries – Maiden warriors (I bet Sanji is going to love these) that take the dead into the afterlife: the Valhalla (Odin’s castle). Probably will be one of Elbaf’s main fighting forces.
There are also Baldr, Skaði, Freyja, Freyr and many, many more…

Ragnarök, the End Time
As we are well into the Final Saga of One Piece, the Elbaf arc has to somehow tie into the larger, overarching story. When we first heard of Dr. Vegapunk, 900 chapters ago, and his ability to feed a Devil Fruit to an item, we had no idea just how deeply connected he would be to the overarching story, until the Egghead Island Arc. And when we first heard of Elbaf, around 1000 chapters ago (over 20 years ago…), we couldn’t have even imagined it would be playing such a pivotal role. And I think this is where Ragnarök comes into play.

In Norse mythology, Ragnarök is a foretold series of impending events, including a great battle in which numerous great mythological figures will perish; it will entail a catastrophic series of natural disasters, including the burning of the world, and culminate in the submersion of the world underwater. With the recent revelation of One Piece’s world sinking, this fits incredibly well into the endgame. I would not be surprised if we learn that the Giants of Elbaf were well aware of the World sinking, and have been preparing themselves for this very battle, for centuries.

Unlike Humans, Giants can live for over 400 years, meaning that there can be as few as only 2 generations since the Void Century. Giants live so long it’s possible they orally passed down the events, from grandfather to grandson. After all, Elbaf spelled backward is “Fable,” and fables are traditionally passed down orally (I HIGHLY recommend reading about Aesop’s Fables, fascinating stuff considering where we are in the story).

The Midgard Serpent
Remember how, in theory, the Sunlight Tree Eve is meant to represent Yggdrasil; how it extends through the Red Line (the terrestrial world)? Well, the terrestrial world is the world of Midgard, which is encircled by the so-called Midgard Serpent: Jörmungandr. A giant sea serpent that is so big, it bites its tail around the world.

This is what I believe the Red Line is meant to represent. In Chapter 129, Dorry and Brogy mention a “Great serpent soaked in blood,” which matches the description of the Red Line (Blood = Red). Ragnarök is said to begin once Jörmungandr lets go of its tail to fight Thor, causing earthquakes and great floods. Once the Red Line is destroyed, I think that’s meant to represent Ragnarök; or at least, the beginning of it.

You see, Ragnarök isn’t just about death and destruction. It also represents the cyclical nature of existence, as from this destruction comes rebirth—a new world where the survivors will live and restore order.

Helheim, Niffleheim and the Great Dragon
With the recent Episode (1119), the talks of Imu’s Devil Fruit have resurfaced. I’ve always been on board with the idea that their Devil Fruit is meant to be a Dragon/Serpent. These two (dragon and serpent) are often used interchangeably throughout religious texts, because, you know, dragons aren’t real creatures, so the closest real thing to them is often used to depict them. And it just so happens that Norse Mythology has a creature, which resides in Helheim, that fits this description perfectly: Níðhöggr.

In Norse mythology, Nidhogg (“Malice Striker”) is a dragon/serpent who gnaws at a root of the world tree, trying to destroy it. Nidhogg is described as an evil creature that works against the natural order by eroding Yggdrasil. After the events of Ragnarök, the destruction and rebirth of the world, it flies over the land with corpses on its wings, indicating that it will continue to feast on the dead even in the aftermath of the apocalypse:

“There comes the shadowy dragon flying,
Glimmering serpent, up from Dark-of-Moon Hills. Nidhogg bears in his wings as he flies
Over the plain – corpses.”

This passage describes Nidhogg’s role, that of a malevolent force, surviving even after the end of the world to continue its destructive nature. Perhaps Ragnarök already happened, and it’s what the Void Century from 800 years ago was about. After all, we are getting close to the end of One Piece, and it’s only a matter of time before we learn the truth.

The Devil Fruits and Mythical Creatures
However, Norse mythology features a wide array of creatures – not just Nidhogg and Jörmungandr - ranging from monstrous beings to powerful animals and supernatural entities. Many of these creatures play critical roles in the myths, especially in shaping the cosmos and influencing the events of Ragnarök. And many of these would make for great Devil Fruits. Again, I will do my best to keep it as short as possible:

• Fenrir is a giant wolf, and another offspring of Loki. He is so powerful that the gods fear him from the moment of his birth. Fenrir is bound by the gods using a magical chain called Gleipnir, but he is prophesied to break free at Ragnarök and kill Odin. We have had plenty Dog-Dog fruits (6), so perhaps it would be better if Fenrir is Loki’s pet instead.
  • Surtr (my favorite) is the leader of the fire giants of Muspelheim, destined to burn the world at Ragnarök. He will set the world on fire with his flaming sword, bringing about its destruction and rebirth. I see him as a ruler of one of the 9 Kingdoms (Muspelheim).

• Sleipnir is an eight-legged horse, born of Loki (who transformed into a mare to give birth to him), is Odin’s faithful steed. He can travel between worlds, carrying Odin to Asgard, Midgard, and the other realms with unmatched speed. We recently had a Pegasus, so why not an 8-legged Horse?
  • Huginn and Muninn are Odin’s informer Ravens who fly across the world to gather knowledge. They symbolize thought and memory and report back to Odin every day about what they have seen and heard in the realms. I think these would be more fitting to just be some birds, like Den-Den Mushi.
  • Ymir is the leader of frost Giants, he was slain by Odin and his brothers to create the world. The frost giants will also take part in the final battle of Ragnarök. I can see him being one the Kings of the 9 Kingdoms (Niflheim). Maybe an ex-king.

• Jötnar (Giants) are primordial beings that frequently battle with the gods, particularly Thor, who is known for killing giants. Not all Jötnar are evil, and some have relationships with gods, like Loki, who is half-Jötunn. Perhaps Loki indeed is not Odin’s son, but a half-giant, and Elbaf is meant to represent Jotunheim Realm.
  • Ratatoskr is a squirrel that carries messages (and insults) between Níðhöggr at the base of Yggdrasil and the eagle at its top. He symbolizes gossip and chaos but also communication.
  • Fafnir, originally a dwarf, is transformed into a dragon due to his greed and desire to guard a vast hoard of gold. He is eventually slain by the hero Sigurd, who bathes in Fafnir’s blood to become invincible (except for a small spot on his back). This would be the perfect pick for a dwarf character that has eaten a Dragon-Dragon fruit.

There are also many more like Garmr, the Helhound, Sköll and Hati, the wolves who pursue the sun (Sol) and moon (Máni) across the sky, but I think these are the essential ones for now.

Conclusion
In summary, the Elbaf arc looks to be drawing from rich Norse mythology to deepen the world-building and thematic scope. From Yggdrasil’s nine realms to the royal family potentially inspired by gods like Odin, Loki, and Thor, Oda seems to be creating an arc that connects Elbaf to the overarching story of One Piece. Could Elbaf be key to the foretold end of the world, through the Red Line connection? I guess only time will tell, but one thing is certain: the giants of Elbaf have more to offer than we ever imagined.

If you enjoyed reading this, and want to see more of my stuff, make sure to follow me for more weekly/bi-weekly One Piece posts!

Nice thread:BigW:
As you mentioned, things won't be 1:1, but already having Loki and the World Tree name dropped we can be assured that more references are coming.
I think we will get at least one mythological zoan fruit based on some norse myth. If I'd have to guess Fenrir seems like the easiest choice, though we might just get a regular giant wolf instead too