Character Discussion Feat Uzumaki Khan - Why Big Mom is a Poorly Written Character with Terrible Portrayal

Big Mom isn't Whitebeard, nor is that something that would be inline with his character.

Big Mom has a personality disorder, and is simpleminded, with child like tendencies and characteristics. She's impervious to all manner of attacks, and in return, doesn't take many situations very seriously. And why would she, when it's damn near impossible to damage her?

Do we fault Luffy who is pretty much the same exact way, and has been since the series inception? No, because even though those kind of scenarios are common place for him, we've watched him grow into a powerhouse, and thus accept those situations that he still constantly gets into.

The reason people lose their shit for Big Mom is because they do dumbshit like compare her to "Whitebeard" all because "Buu... but YONKO!!!!!!" And this is how YONKOOOOOO's are supposed to be, because that's how YONKOOOOO Whitebeard is.

Well guess what, Luffy is going to be Pirate King, and has had way more ridiculous shit happen to him (and still will) than Big Mom ever will.
I can't believe I have to actually break down why having inconsistency as a consistent character trait is low-effort writing.

It works in the case of Luffy because his purpose in the story is not solely to make the reader feel threatened. Luffy is meant to provide comedy, sympathy, and other meaningful story elements because he's the protagonist.

Big Mom doesn't add comedy to the story (if anything the attempts to be comedic with her are outright BAD comedy). Here all the inconsistency accomplishes is making her look like a joke and diminishing the overall tension in the story.

Last edited:

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
I'm on the side of Big Mom being defeated during the Wano arc, however I don't mind seeing Big Mom in another arc again. Seeing some people getting very salty at the idea of Big Mom appearing in another arc again is going to be very amusing to me, either way I don't really care if Big Mom appears in another arc or not.
It's not about being salty or about powerlevels, I've just had enough of Oda using her as a plot device for his convenience.

Even past all the gags etc., I just didn't like one bit how Big Mom was used to break Luffy out of Udon and now in the Onigashima war where she took out two of the Flying 6 herself. And she'll be used in the exact same way in Elbaf or whatever the next arc is.

It is really stupid and it takes all the tension away from the arc.

Big Mom isn't Whitebeard, nor is that something that would be inline with his character.
So people dislike that. Whats the problem with people disliking what you like? People dont like the trash portrayal of a yonko losing their memory from getting bonked on the head and they love whitebeard fighting with his face melted off

Dont tell people to like shit just coz you do

People who dislike Big Mom and have zero understanding of her character are just a bunch of battle junkies who think characterization is dictated by strength.

Just because someone is super strong, it doesn't disqualify them from having their own individual humanized personalities which makes them susceptible to everyday occurrences like every other individual on the fucking planet.

Some of yall need to put down the battle Shonen genre, as it's warped your minds into thinking super strong = infallible.
Or they dislike her cus she a ugly retarded woman you ever thought about that?

Making thread over an opinion of Anime reactor
Admiral fans are getting really desperate and insecure
:suresure:
It's more to that tbh.

She is clearly a disgrace when it comes to portrayal. She is so clumsy, unable to keep her cool in many occasions, can lose her mind so easily. She is pretty powerful and her personality constitutes an Achilles talon.

The scenarios have to remain consistent with her character traits. You can't introduce a character one way. Dedicate a whole arc to them being that way. And in the very next arc they've suddenly done a 180, and everything that came before that is rendered moot.

The most questionable thing he's done with her character was introduce the amnesia plot line. Now if that plot line leads to nowhere, then yeah, it would be pretty bad. But if there is an payoff in the end, then it can be rectified. But everything else that has happened to her, remains inline with her character, which is how you're supposed to write characters. Not just take them in any direction you feel like on a whim.
You are actually making very good points in all of your comment, and i appreciate it a lot. Cheers for that
:cheers:

But there are also some big flaws in the way she is written that is hard to ignore at least for me :
1. She literally hires Cæsar for the gigantification project which is one of the most immoral act as it involves experiment on children, yet she dares to speak about Moral. I know this happened when she was under her 'motherly mode' but when she spoke about it, it was refered to the village not to Tama. So this has nothing to do with her 'affection sickness' toward children.

2. This hunger tantrum. We saw clearly how she nearly destroyed WCI and her familly bcs of this. Come to think of it, any major organization could plan a plot to trigger her tantrum and just let her destroy her own family, thus creating the end of Charlotte family. How can her be a Yonko for years with this?

Despite your good argument, i still find Big mom is the most disappointing character in Op.

So people dislike that. Whats the problem with people disliking what you like? People dont like the trash portrayal of a yonko losing their memory from getting bonked on the head and they love whitebeard fighting with his face melted off

Dont tell people to like shit just coz you do
I can give two shits if people like her or not. I'm not trying to convince people to like her. But you can't say a character is "poorly written" because it goes against your head cannon of how you want a character to be.