Fiction Writing Brainstorming

Here's a good question for both High & Low Fantasy fans:

1. Do you like non-human races like Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc. alongside Humans, or do you like it Human-only?
2. How similar are the cultures of your world to real-life ones? Like, stand-in for Viking Scandinavia, Gaelic Ireland, the Roman Empire, the Far East, etc.
For me I like adding in non human races, they can bring new dynamics, or abilites, plus they can really expand the world.

Im thinking of this story called "A World of Wolves"

Set in a dystopian future and plays heavily on the " Wolf in Sheeps clothing" theme.

hi, this is @worstuser
i wanted to share some funny lines, about fiction brainstorming
maybe it will help you for your funny fictions, maybe not

it's me writing, not a copy-paste from where-ever
and as i'm sub-low-tier when it comes to write
maybe it will be a bit hard to read lol

---

1. so when you're writing fictions, consider yourself an artist first - fiction is your product, to write text is your funny method, but you're an artist ... - ok so from nothing you become an artist, gg o/

2. then the reason of an artist is to make people have their funny reactions/emotions - so this is where you go learn about emotions (google some "wheel of emotions" and you're good) and where you choose your people (~your main target audience) - an error that some artists do is to consider themselves the main target audience, they write or draw because (first) they enjoy it, for their own pleasure, to get money (then) eventual target audience - but it should be (first) for your people (then) for you of course (ye imagine not enjoying what you're doing lol x__x ...) - different target audiences may lead to different products ... maybe your text for kids will differ from your text for perverts lol - exemples of audiences : kids, adults, boys, girls, friends, parents, this company workers, that city residents, aliens, animals, trees, etc ... ye let's make trees have their funny reactions lol - you may choose a lead audience, but it's possible that other people read and have their funny reaction/emotion ... for exemple i'm sure there's (almost) 0% dudes being part of onepiece's main target audience here, (almost) all of you are perverts over 15 years old lol.

3. then artists have some stuffs at their disposal ... tools, methods to materialize their funny art - this is where you learn about art and select art styles - in this thread it's about "writing fictions", so basically it's text ... words, letters, numbers, languages ... this post is a text, but suddenly i turn into a funny artist and ~j'écris en français comme ça tu as ta réaction marrante lol (~i write in french so you have your funny reaction lol) ... - the skill level doesn't really matter, actually if you're a newbie or a low-tier in your art style, you can always claim you're learning or that it's done on purpose to drop funny reactions ... or admit that you're low-tier too lol, but remind that the original onepunch-man went popular despite its noob-tier visuals, so if you're noob-tier it doesn't mean that you can't.

4. this is where the almighty creation starts - basically the first step is to select the main theme for your funny text - the simple way is to go with the job/hobby of the main character ... - an error that a lot of newbie do imo is to miss that point, so it turns into whatever ... - some exemples of themes in your favorite titles (maybe) : pirates (onepiece), martial artists (dragon ball), ninjas (naruto), wizards (harry potter), super heroes (batman), humans (neverland), etc... sometimes it's a bit hard to find out what the theme of a title is ... especially when there is no theme lol.

5. next you choose some funny rules for your fiction ... materialization rules i mean, not psychological rules lol ... when it comes to text it can be your tools to write texts, digital tools (computers and softwares) or traditional tools (paper, pens etc...) ... or exotic tools (ye let's say that suddenly you choose to write your funny fictions in caves or pyramids with your blood lol) ... - the space, how many pages, page sizes (caves sizes if exotic lol) etc... the language ... sentence rules maybe too, like a certain quantity of syllables by sentence or by text line ... stuffs like that

6. everyone's favorite part (imo) - *0* the creation of the universe *0* - characters, stages (or locations), items, power ups, events, stories, etc... sounds and silences in music, but it's about text here, so maybe you can create languages too ... the common error is to start with this verse creation immediatly, or to miss every previous points besides maybe point 4 (the theme selection) or another ... the universe should match with your main target audience - for exemple if you choose kids as your main target audience, maybe it's cool to put kids as main characters - then there may be their funny families, their funny neighboors, their funny school/theme/hobby friends and foes, etc... - add secondary themes can make things funnier - random exemple ~ main theme : ninja; secondary theme : hip hop; lead emotion : rage ... ... ... ye now fear the rage of mister hip hop ninja, he's going to break dance in your face like a psycho lol ...

... next would be the lines about production, publication, fandom/results ... but enough for this post, it's already too long for me, i'm used to write short posts and jokes lol, i reached my limits at least 100 times, i'm finding an excuse to stop this now 8U

(edit) if you need funny ideas, secondary themes for your funny characters etc...
- List of Arts : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_arts
- List of Sports : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports
- List of Hobbies : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies
- List of Jobs : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_occupations
- List of Subcultures : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subcultures
- List of Animals : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_animals
- List of Music Styles : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles

I could list more lists lol but it's already a lot of stuffs to explore

Last edited:
On topic: actually i have made my ideas into writing, in a fanfiction site. A fanfic about one piece. It involves the story in Wano that i thought from scratch, and it involves newfound power-ups mainly for the Monster Trio. I plan to have a twist on the plot and worldbuilding regarding how haki and devil fruit works, their origin, etc.

I’ve been brainstorming two separate premises for two separate stories. Which of these two would you guys be more interested in reading a story about?

Premise 1: A powerful Kingdom ruled by people with Perceptive Magic (the power to see events from the future/past, read minds, see events across the planet, etc) suddenly find themselves powerless to use any Magic at all when a massive army of savages begins attacking one of their capital cities. With no Perceptive Magic available to them, the leaders must find away to stop the army before it reaches their capital and destroys life as they know it.

Premise 2: A decade after achieving technological singularity, Humanity finds itself on the brink of extinction. The Earth is ruled by an army of Super-intelligent AI Who have almost wiped out all human life from the Earth and have begun terraforming the planet into a supercomputer. Less than 10,000 humans remain, and they have taken shelter within a massive network of underground caves. The humans must find away to destroy the AI on the surface that they themselves created, in order to stop their extinction and live under the Sun once again.
i really like the second over the first. In the first, i'd rather see the story of how they find the perceptive magic first. What is that? What is the source? etc (rather than it disappearing, i really want to read about the story of the magic's origin itself)

i really like the second one, feels like there's a main villain and source of conflict already.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I will read through this whole thread when I have a second, but I wanted to put this out there:

After a couple years of writing, editing, rewriting and editing again, I finally have a workable, cohesive draft of my debut novel - a tale about generational conflict, ethics in gene editing, and betrayal by those you hold dear.

The main action follows a man known only (both to the world and himself) as the hunter, a vigilante roaming the dystopic countryside fighting creatures called Millennials who have torn society apart and brought the world to the brink of extinction. We follow him as he meets some crucial allies, the resistance force GX, and becomes close with them before its leaders ultimately discard him without warning. Following this, he amasses another group of allies to help him track his former masters down, all while trying to discover the source and meaning behind the virus that created Millennials in the first place.

@SmokedOut was already kind enough to request a copy without knowing any of this, but if anyone else is interested in giving this rag a read and letting me know what you like (and more importantly, what you DON’T like), shoot me a message and we’ll talk about it!

The Story of Meh.

It's the story of Meh, a Guy always Facing Forward and Walking straight Forward until his goal of the Moment.
When He was 3 Years old, he walked, walked, walked until the City of Jolo, 30 I'm from his appartement. Her Mother tell him about it a few minutes prior.
When he is hungry, He will search food. But he will always choose the hard way if it means gaining a few seconds for reaching his goal. Like, on a way to a city not far, he will always begin by trapping a Pear around and not going to the Market a little farther.
Sometimes, people are angry at Meh because he don't care of what pleasure stand before his eyes. He don't care about this beautiful girls who wants to seduce him, he don't care about this envious guy throwing him Rocks bigger and bigger. He just go.

The Story of Loa.

Loa can't move. Everything is important. Everything is worth fighting for.
So she begins by cooking a Pie. Then will make a drink. It has to be the perfect drink. So she spend times and times over every little things. Everything is Worth fighting as hard a I can.

But one day she is tired.

And one day Meh come. Take her. And go.

And they say they lived happy together.

END

😸

I created my own Fantasy world (i love world building) which consist of Magic, fantasy creatures, but also have political realistic(geopolitic, interactions betwen Rulers, civil wars...like real politic or similiar to GoT if you don't understand me) there are numerous countries, world is big and i try it to make it Best, i also trying making fantasy languages.. I read/study Geography, biology, history, past and Current religous and etc... So i can make it so realistic (i also created if i don't overestimate it very big backstory/lore) and i try be as much its possible away from Lotr, Warhammer, Wow universe so i don't get rip off and Wana be original,
It need long time and very hard time of thinking,

Premise 1: A powerful Kingdom ruled by people with Perceptive Magic (the power to see events from the future/past, read minds, see events across the planet, etc) suddenly find themselves powerless to use any Magic at all when a massive army of savages begins attacking one of their capital cities. With no Perceptive Magic available to them, the leaders must find away to stop the army before it reaches their capital and destroys life as they know it.
at first I thought "wow this is going to suck" cause overpowered magic is not an interesting read. the twist is great though.
this I like.

my suggestion:
a planet with a bit twisted physics. the air/atmosphere on that planet has a property sort of like newtonian fluid.
there is a martial art that lets people use this property as defense or offense. its hard to master and timing is key.
lets say a bullet flies towards someone they can punch the air (quickly and with precision) and the air tenses up to a point that it stops a bullet. like air made kevlar so to say. the defender would still feel the impact and depending on the bullet may get bruised. its justa thin layer of compressed air.
if your timing is off the air disperses again and the bullet will hit you. not many can or have mastered this. most used it only rudimentary and occasionally. its also not very reliable if you are not on point with your timing. instead of stopping a bullet it may only slow it down etc.
this also works to block thrusts from blades or other objects. blocking a sledgehammer with it is possible too albeit the defender would probably get bruised up badly. the energy is not lost, just fanned out over a larger area.
for offense, timing is less a problem and "many" people can use this. the compressed air can be used as a shockwave/hard object that increase the damage of punches.
it requires a strong physique to used and years of training for the basics. mastery take even longer.

so much for the "magic" in this. the story would be about a lawkeeper or vigilante who is very capable, but not yet a master of the art.
the antagonist is a thuglord. pretty lame setting :milaugh:
guns and weaponry still play a large role and anyone with that martial art skill is still vulnerable to them. its an advantage, but does not make them overpowered. the bullet deflecting ability is more or less the best asset of the art.

Last edited: