Chapter Discussion Figarland Garling was at God Valley 38 years ago, he is Shanks' Father/Grandfather

Apollo

The Sol King
Figarland Garling was part of the God Valley Incident and took part in the fight against Rocks.

The fact that Celestial Dragons were mentioned before Roger and Rocks shows that they had a significant role in the incident.

This chapter reveals that Garling was the previous ruler of God Valley, making it likely that he was present when it was still standing:

We can also assume that he is a fighter because he is the leader of the Holy Knights. No doubt that Garling participated in the conflict with the Rocks crew.

Regarding his relationship with Shanks:

When Film:Red was released, it became known that Roger had discovered baby Shanks in God Valley:

The Figarland family was also mentioned by the Gorosei in the film while referring to Shanks and his daughter:

This indicates that Figarland Shanks was with his family at God Valley when he was a newborn, hidden in a treasure box away from the battle. Garling, the ruler of God Valley, looked after his relative Shanks.

We can rule out the possibility that they are siblings given the age gap in their appearances. Garling is either Shanks' grandfather or father.

What do you think ? Did Garling fight in God Valley or did he hide away from the battle ? Is Garling Shanks' parent/grandparent or is it just bait by Oda ?

I can see this.

But I want to know why Garp was protecting Celestial Dragons. Maybe Garling ordering him?

Would be crazy if Garling purposely left his son/grandson at God Valley so he would get picked up by Roger Pirates.

Apollo

The Sol King
I can see this.

But I want to know why Garp was protecting Celestial Dragons. Maybe Garling ordering him?

Would be crazy if Garling purposely left his son/grandson at God Valley so he would get picked up by Roger Pirates.
What makes me wonder is why Roger would protect Celestial Dragons. The God Valley flashback is one of the most interesting things in the manga since it was revealed in 957. These latest events make it even more exciting.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
It was said that he was protecting their slaves.

My guess is that the Rocks Pirates were rather indescriminate in who they were targeting at God’s Valley. They must have been pretty awful people for Roger and Garp to have decided they’d rather take the Celestial Dragon’s side. (Even if only to protect their slaves).

What makes me wonder is why Roger would protect Celestial Dragons. The God Valley flashback is one of the most interesting things in the manga since it was revealed in 957. These latest events make it even more exciting.
Garp the Fist said it below.
It was said that he was protecting their slaves.

My guess is that the Rocks Pirates were rather indescriminate in who they were targeting at God’s Valley. They must have been pretty awful people for Roger and Garp to have decided they’d rather take the Celestial Dragon’s side. (Even if only to protect their slaves).
So they were protecting the slaves. Gotcha.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
To be clear he protected both Celestial Dragons and slaves.

I’ve just always assumed that protecting the slaves meant protecting the Celestial Dragons as a byproduct.

But it could be the case that Rocks was going about planning on doing what the villagers did to Doflamingo’s family. And while Roger/Garp don’t like the Celestial Dragons, they also don’t approve of children being crucified.

To be clear he protected both Celestial Dragons and slaves.

I’ve just always assumed that protecting the slaves meant protecting the Celestial Dragons as a byproduct.

But it could be the case that Rocks was going about planning on doing what the villagers did to Doflamingo’s family. And while Roger/Garp don’t like the Celestial Dragons, they also don’t approve of children being crucified.
Fair enough.