Character Discussion Garp and Kuzan's Justice

So Kuzan has his Lazy Justice.

But what about Garp?

As I see it, Garp's justice is likely similar to Kuzan's. In fact, Kuzan's Lazy Justice is likely a variant of Garp's ideals. Look at what manga tells us:

I've decided to live life on my own terms. And who else does that? Literally every one of Garp's pupils - as well as Garp himself. Garp became a marine because he wanted to. Garp's son Dragon became a revolutionary. Ace and Luffy became pirates, Sabo became a revolutionary. Coby might look like a success on Garp's part - he did become a Marine, like Garp wanted. Except that had nothing to do with Garp. Yes, Garp trained Coby - but Coby wanted to become a marine from get-go, and that wish was then reinforced by Luffy. Luffy basically went out of his way to lie (very badly) and start a fight in front of a group of marines to give Coby plausible deniability so Coby could join the Marines. Garp gave Coby the know-how, and Coby definitely looks up to and respects Garp - just like Luffy does - but the point is, Garp had no impact on Coby's decision to become a Marine. That was all Coby, with some reinforcement by Luffy. And Coby then proceeded to become a member of Sword - again choosing freedom just like Garp and all of his other proteges had (and what are the chances that Garp was, if not the ringleader, then at least inspiration for the Sword? Quite high, I'd say).

And now consider Aokiji's actions in the story.

Aokiji, despite being an admiral, allowed Nico Robin to escape - not just because of Saul's sacrifice (which as we saw was not actually a sacrifice because Aokiji didn't kill him), but also, I think, because he saw in Robin a potential - potential to change the world for the better. (And while this may be a bit out there, could it be that Saul's name is not an accident? Kuzan preserved Saul, who himself helped save Nico Robin as well as books of Ohara - Ohara's soul, so to speak).

On Hachinosu, Aokiji took out Garp (and probably didn't kill him - see the point about Saul) while letting Coby go. Why? Because of this:

Again we see that Kuzan's actions are very much in line with what we know not just about Kuzan's own justice, but Garp's justice as well. Coby represents the future of the Marines. A hope for a better future, for more humane Marines that will actually protect the people - something Garp and Sengoku may have hoped for and tried to achieve, but failed. So just as Shanks sacrificed his arm to save Luffy and thus hope in the better tomorrow, so did Garp decide to sacrifice himself to save Coby.

And I believe Kuzan follows this same idea of justice - albeit, perhaps, with a twist. Obviously, he and Garp both follow their own personal idea of justice, rather than idea of justice that is imposed from above - but I think there is more to it than just that. Now consider OG Admirals' devil fruits and their ideas of justice. Akainu's devil fruit is magma - devil fruit that I believe has the highest offensive power among all the devil fruits (I think it may even have been a canon statement to that effect, but my memory is worse than Corsican cheese). And his justice? Absolute justice, the destructive idea of justice which holds that destruction of evil is the best way of ensuring peace - no matter the collateral. Kizaru's justice is unclear justice, justice that is as difficult to grasp as the light itself is (and strong light can also blind).

Kuzan's justice is lazy justice. This is obviously related to ice. Ice represents calm, levelheadedness. It slows down biological processes. But it also preserves. It can be used to keep perishable produce preserved for the future. That is exactly what he did with Saul: Kuzan froze Saul before letting Nico Robin go, but we recently learned that Saul is still alive. So it is likely that Kuzan "stabbing" Garp with icicle is actually Kuzan saving Garp's life.

Now, I also wanted to add a point about Smoker here, but I can't be arsed to look for panels. But despite what Den Den Kushi says, I actually see Smoker as being more similar to Fujitora than to Garp. Garp takes the long view, one of reform. Smoker and Fujitora however are far more ready to blow off the system and tell Akainu and co. to stick it, seeking immediate result in terms of "just justice", and have little patience for Garp's whole "next generation" stuff.

Whatever his justice was, it's buried at Marinefort.
His new justice makes him act against marine orders when someone dear to him is in danger.

If marines died on Hacchinosu Garp has their blood on his hands. And considering him laughing while freezing, he seems to be find of his this justice