Theory Gear 5th Makes Luffy a Giant and Here's Why

Hey everyone,

Very new here, but I've been a longtime fan of the manga and I've recently started a youtube channel focused on One Piece theories and analysis - The Hidden Island.

Was hoping to get a theory out there that I've had on my mind for a couple years now - and I made a video to go along with it. This is a theory on what Gear 5th is, and what the Gum-Gum fruit is truly capable of...

Click the thumbnail for the link!
Link here as well if that doesn't work: Video

There are spoilers for the manga in this video, so watch at your own risk!

Summary:
This video, set in the theme of a jazz lounge on the sea (ala Baratie), explores my thoughts on Gear 5th and what I think it really is.
I also touch on the revelation that the Gum-Gum Fruit was in the hands of the world government, as well as why it was so important to them.

Without going too hard into spoilers, I believe that Gear 5th turns Luffy into a giant and is the only devil fruit truly capable of solving the mystery of 'gigantification'. All other fruits that can make you big or create a giant of some kind, all involve some sort of trick or caveat. But Luffy's fruit can currently turn his limbs gigantic without any catch. Building off the Shanks + Elbaf theory (that states Shanks is affiliated with the giants), I believe this is why the world government was guarding it so closely - and that this is also why Shanks stole it just prior to the beginning of the story.

Luffy inherited not just the Strawhat from Shanks, but also the power of the giants.

This also connects back to Thriller Bark, where each of the monster trio fights a zombie that foreshadows their future in a way. Sanji fights an invisible man, Zoro fights Ryuma, and Luffy fights an ancient giant. As far as I can tell, Thriller bark foreshadowed more than just Gear 4th.

More evidence and details in the video.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys enjoy, and please give me any feedback or thoughts you have! I would love to hear what you guys think Gear 5th may be as well!

Much Love,
Hidden

You mean like in the post-dressrosa filler? it would be kinda lame
Haha well filler is filler, and definitely doesn't have Oda's vision behind it in the way that a real "giant" Luffy form would. The real giants in the world of One Piece are supposed to be crazy powerful, so much so that everyone is trying to recreate that power. It wouldn't be the same as some lame filler joke transformation, at least that's my guess.

There is already Gigantification DF
Smoothie too can use her DF to become Bigger
Moria too
Urouge too
I go over this in the video, but the point is that all of those devil fruits make you bigger at the cost of something else, or involve a trick of some kind. Smoothie needs to take the life force of another to become bigger, Moria needs to steal a ton of shadows, Urouge needs to stockpile damage, etc. The Gum-Gum fruit is the only one so far that makes someone bigger naturally without any repercussions.

I go over this in the video, but the point is that all of those devil fruits make you bigger at the cost of something else, or involve a trick of some kind. Smoothie needs to take the life force of another to become bigger, Moria needs to steal a ton of shadows, Urouge needs to stockpile damage, etc. The Gum-Gum fruit is the only one so far that makes someone bigger naturally without any repercussions.
I told you there is already Gigantification DF
Sanjuan Wolf ate it
It costs nothing, Free Size Manipulation

I told you there is already Gigantification DF
Sanjuan Wolf ate it
It costs nothing, Free Size Manipulation
I also go over that in the video as well :catsure:

All we know is that Sanjuan Wolf's fruit makes him bigger but we don't know anything else about how it works. Considering that all of the BB Pirates have devil fruits based on deception and trickery, there's gotta be more to his power than just changing in size.

Keep in mind that nobody noticed as he approached Marineford despite being larger than the entire castle itself. There's gotta be a reason for that, which Oda hasn't explained yet.

For example, maybe San Juan Wolf ate a Pufferfish Zoan, or something that does a similar effect. Since we don't know anything about his fruit besides that it affects his size, it's not easy to talk about it beyond that. I still hold out that Luffy's fruit is unique in that regard.

[3/31/22]
:cheers:

Cheers, gentlemen.

Last edited: